Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress IRL?  (Read 2052 times)

Galick

• Bay Watcher
  • Dolly says you can help me...can you help me?
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress IRL?
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »

I read a sig a bit ago that read as thus:

Quote from: Keldane

Phoenixuk, it is stories like yours that make me think that Dwarf Fortress is actually triple-distilled cruelty absorbed transdermally through our fingertips whenever we play. It simultaneously inspires and terrifies me. I feel very sorry for any goblinoid alien race that attempts to attack Earth, knowing that there may be DF players in strategic positions worldwide.[/i]

What's all of your opinions on this kinda thing?  From what I've seen, we'd be more detrimental to our own people than the goblin alien type things.  If only cause we'll get bored and try to build a megaproject or go find some spoilers.

Still, thought I'd get the opinions of others too.  Mainly cause this seems like a fun story to flesh out.
Damn you google, why are you always so far away? Sitting at the top of my interwebs window, mocking me with you easy information. You are the prostitute of the internet.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress IRL?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:06:26 pm »

we come from varied walks of life and many different professions, so we have a broad spectrum of information available to us, as with any tight knit community. i think its less that we'd get bored and more like we'd know what needs to be done. its kinda like how too many video games and movies have been made to make a zombie apocalypse possible, because its common knowlege to just shoot em in the head, ya know?
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:30 pm »

In DF, i usually follow a policy of "only murder things that impede progress/piss me off". Also given the option, i would prefer to make peace with goblins rather than obliterate them.
So, assuming that my attempt to make a Non Aggression Pact with the gobliniods failed, i would use the opportunity to unify the human race under the threat of a common enemy.

Though, to be honest, in the event of an alien invasion, Dwarf fortress would likely be one of the last things i think about. Well, not now. Now if i wake up to an alien invasion, i'm going to have a flashback of saying it would be the last thing i think of, and it will be one of the very first thoughts that pops into my head.

Damn it.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:29 am »

i would prefer to make peace with goblins rather than obliterate them.
WHAT?! >:(

I will buy a seat in George's milenium falcum in case of a alien invasion.(I kno whe has one and that him and spielberg will go to Naboo in 2012!)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 02:00:28 pm »

What's wrong with that? the goblins seem like cool guys, and i can think of tons of ways they would be beneficial to my fortress.

If the buggers weren't running around trying to kill me all the time, i'd have no problem allying with them.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:41:57 pm by King DZA »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:24 pm »

What's wrong with that? the goblins seem like cool guys, and i can think of tons of would be beneficial to my fortress.

If the buggers weren't running around trying to kill me all the time, i'd have no problem allying with them.

Their snatchers keep trying to rescue kidnap future laborers! They must die for that!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 05:17:44 pm »

And it's so cute when they scream too. <3 goblins

Okay, I know that they don't really scream. But I like to imagine that they do.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 05:20:03 pm by Sidhien »

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »

What's wrong with that? the goblins seem like cool guys, and i can think of tons of would be beneficial to my fortress.

Their snatchers keep trying to rescue kidnap future laborers! They must die for that!

According to my policy, that does technically entitle me to kill them, which i wouldn't hesitate to do. But their heart seems to be in the right place, so i won't hold it against them.

I'm seriously thinking about getting into modding, just so i can see if there's a way i can have both dwarves and goblins peacefully coexisting within my fortress.
I'm currently planning to build a Hall of the Fallen far beneath my fort, so that i may fill it with memorial slabs to honor all of the formidable goblins(among other creatures) that will meet their end in the DeathMaze.