Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unwarranted Elven Siege!  (Read 1210 times)

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
Unwarranted Elven Siege!
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:33:24 pm »

I embarked on an area with tons of clay and no stone. This forced me to rely on wood for things that stone would have normally replaced.

Well lets just say our little hippie friends came by and pillaged my COMPLETELY UNARMED fortress with crossbows.
There was no "Stop cutting down trees or well invade!" diplomat, they just came out of nowhere and wiped us out before we had made our first shortsword. Does this happen often? Do they really just attack you the moment you pass the limit, without any warning at all?
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Unwarranted Elven Siege!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:38 pm »

Elves are dickheads. That is all.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necromunger

• Bay Watcher
  • Last Survivor of Bodicebent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:37:57 pm »

I think your dwarves faction was at war with the elves before you embarked.
for (Dwarf * newDwarf in dwarfArray){
      [newDwarf cancelJob];
      [newDwarf Drink];
}

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:42:29 pm »

I think your dwarves faction was at war with the elves before you embarked.

Most probably that.

Is also correct.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:00:24 pm »

Both counts.

My last great d40 fort started off at war with elves.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:58:10 pm »

You had nothing but clay, all the way down to the Magma Sea? Wow. And I thought a no-metal embark was interesting.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »

I resent this for the gross generalization that it is! We elves of Wooddipped never wronged anyone, and nobly fought our share of the greenskins wih nothing at our disposal, but a single steel pick, bone bows and arrows, and Bowie's oddly phallic-shaped bridg- *mutters*....
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:17 pm »

I resent this for the gross generalization that it is! We elves of Wooddipped never wronged anyone, and nobly fought our share of the greenskins wih nothing at our disposal, but a single steel pick, bone bows and arrows, and Bowie's oddly phallic-shaped bridg- *mutters*....

I'm sorry sir, it seems that you have a minor Elf infestation in one of your sentances. Just hold on a moment and the extermination crew will be here shortley.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 10:08:14 pm »

I should bloody well hope so! My slandering was going splendidly until i was back chatted, out of the blue, by elves coming out from holes in my skirting board! I swear, fumigators are all conmen! I was guaranteed a year of no elves save the occasionall corpse falling from behind a stack of toiletries!

I'm sorry sir, it seems that you have a minor Elf infestation in one of your sentances. Just hold on a moment and the extermination crew will be here shortley.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:45:58 pm »

Any civilization you're an enemy of will come after you in force, either in ambushes or a full siege, and you won't have any warning other than checking the race relations tab on the Embark map screen (Hit Tab a few times, there's a lot more information about your embark!) It's simply not as common for elves to already be at war with the Dwarves than, say, Goblins (who piss off everyone).
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."