Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sweet waterfall embark  (Read 5402 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sweet waterfall embark
« on: October 10, 2011, 05:23:29 pm »

Hey all.

I know how all of you love waterfall embarks. Okay I love waterfall embarks (although not the fps drop you get from 'em) and I asume the rest of you will like this one just as much as I do.
I remember seeing the occasional thread pop up with a sweet embark featuring a waterfall, so I thought I'd make one to and perhaps get some inspiration on what kind of fortress to build here.

So without further delay, have a look at an image of the embark in stonesense:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Its main feature is a 15z level waterfall, feeding 2 rivers below forming a beautiful triangular gorge.
It has a few soil layers, among them most notably a whole lot of fire clay.
The embark supposably has shallow as well as deep metals, I haven't done any digging or revealing yet but I can already spot some tetrahydrite deposits.
The landscape is incredibly hilly plains, with a few trees dotting the riverside.

Also I embarked as badger men.

So dear bay watchers, what shall I do with this embark? I'm definatly setting up a massive honey industry (what with the badgermen and all) and using that fire clay is a given, but tell me what would you build in this place.
Give me some inspirations so I can build something incredibly dwarfy...badgery?

And finally if anyone care's to try out this embark for oneself feel free to let me know and I'll upload it to the file depot. I'd be happy to share a sweet embark like this.
I hope it's worth making a thread over at least. :)

Edit:
Now also with download for the seed!

Edit2:
I tried genning the world, seed seems to work. Atleast I know how this stuff works now.
Aaand I've had a look around for any other good embarks, and just a little bit upriver I discovered another similar place except more mauntainous.
Same stuff as in the original embark, fire clay tetrahydrite and some dolomite and marble as far as I can see, 15 z level waterfall, cool stuff.
Here's an image:

I wonder if there are many more of these kind of sites, this world appears to be full of fancy waterfalls.

Edit3:
I checked the area around the second embark and there's another waterfall right next to it. I've managed to make a reasonable embark that contains the two together as well as a small mauntain, it's a great spot if your PC can handle a slightly larger embark.

Found another one, this one has something called a labarynth on the embark as well.

Anyway, there's plenty and I'll stop posting about them now.  :D

On another note, this is an interesting idividual:
A badger that detests worms, that does sound odd to me.  :o
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 06:22:08 am by Jelle »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet waterfall embark
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 05:26:24 pm »

This is a rather perfect embark. And more inventive individuals than i can probably weaponise this spectacularly.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »

*begins drawing creative weapon designs that use large volumes of water*

...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:10 pm »

Building a fortress in the very middle of that 15z drop and utilising the fact that the area seems to be cut into 3 separate zones seems to be the most obvious choice. Also building a trading depot somewhere in the middle of that drop and attaching it to a lever would be splendid.

Oh wait that's not very badgery is it?...

Hmmm...

Try to bite it I guess.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 06:05:45 pm »

I think your badger men should burrow into the cliff faces, and have a whole series of winding, multi z-level tunnels connecting lots of rounded 'burrow' rooms looking out onto the rivers. Have a big larder full of various foods elven limbs dwarf bits. Bonus points for making all of your rooms look like they've been dug by hand, so no smoothing the walls, and make each room slightly different and natural.

Could you possibly post a seed for that world too? It looks wonderful :)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 07:40:16 pm »

If it's with badgermen, the best way to go would be to dig out the fort in the shape of a giant dwarf's body, then they can tunnel through it and feast on Urist McStone's innards.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »

Cliff homes, with wooden catwalks badgerwalks and stairwells. A small pier at the bottom for badger fishing, with the honey industry nestled safely within a walled off section of one of the plateaus above. Try to resist the urge to use stone in non-crafts- clay and wooden seem much more suitable.

Trade with elves, eat humans and dwarves. :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:26:25 pm »

I demand you build a waterpark here with a base jumping rig setup dead center of the splits.

Provided you can setup a series of valves using drawbridges and such, you can maybe even make some interesting pipelines and such taking advantage of the falls themselves.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:03:31 am »

Hey I'm back
Sure I'll gladly share the seed, if I knew how to. I have no idea how any of that stuff works.
Am I looking at an ingame window somewhere or is it in my data files?

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:23 am »

Also the fortress needs to be immaculately clean, because badgers apparently keep their burrows very clean.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:00 pm »

Hey I'm back
Sure I'll gladly share the seed, if I knew how to. I have no idea how any of that stuff works.
Am I looking at an ingame window somewhere or is it in my data files?

You can press escape and export local image, I believe. Discard the images if you so choose. They are used to create a complete map of an embark to be uploaded to our map archive site, which I think provides a download of the utility it uses.

If that doesn't create a (region name)-world_gen_param.txt then you will need to copy your save, load the copy and abandon the copy's fort, then go to start new game - select the copy - legends, and press 'p' to export the basic world map and gen params. Then just open the gen params file and copy all of it's contents, and paste them in this thread in spoiler tags [ spoiler ](without the spaces between the brackets.)[ /spoiler ]

Then it would be nice of you to go back to start a new game on that world and hit 'reclaim' and to find a place on the world map so that all three maps in the site finder are visible to us, then press alt+print screen to take a screenshot, paste that in MSpaint, save and upload to some image hosting site and post it too, so we don't have to go searching for it.
It would also be nice to upload the full world map generated by the legends mode option, as well, but not necessary.

Alternatively you could copy the save into a .zip file and upload it to Our file hosting site. But this is slightly less convenient for the rest of us since we'd have to download the entire save and then regenerate it to match our desired mod alignments.

I already have a save with an enormous waterfall coming off a major river, but it's only 4-5 z-levels tall and has an aquifer. It's also in a human town, who want us all dead, but its pretty much guaranteed it won't be if you generate it. I could still post it though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

Alright, exporting local image gave me one of these seed txt files, I uploaded it somewhere and updated OP with a link. :)
I also added part of the raws I altered. I'm only a dabbling modder though, but I  think the worldgen would need any altered raws along the seed yes?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 04:24:43 pm »

Nah, raws don't affect the terrain seed, only the history seed would generate a different history.

The entity raws for the badgers would be lovely, just to see what you've cooked up/let others use it.

err.... your download doesn't seem to function. Perhaps Megaupload.com would work better?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:26:46 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 06:23:58 am »

Added some stuff to the OP, I'll stop updating it now.  :-X

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:59:46 am »

I'm curious to see where you go with this; I embarked on a random location to blow the rust off and find myself in an almost identical situation to the stonesent pic you posts. Unfortunately for me, every 31.25 DFHack download I could find was throwing CRC errors when I unzipped the file.
Pages: [1] 2