Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 625142 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #330 on: February 02, 2012, 02:08:38 am »

On the topic of fire resistance - have you considered making it a more comprehensive slider of heat/cold alignment (creatures with defenses against heat/cold depending on position on the scale) or insulation (simple defense of body temperature against adverse temperature change)?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #331 on: February 02, 2012, 06:02:42 am »

Looks pretty good. Obviously a fairly low-water world, but reasonable for the most part. Although the mountain ranges are oddly N-S/E-W alligned. Might want to tweak them a bit so they don't look so artificial.

To an extent, I've kept them like that on purpose to ensure the number of 2x2 and 3x3 mountain squares which allow for extra mountains. But you're right, I could have them shift diagonally slightly more...

On the topic of fire resistance - have you considered making it a more comprehensive slider of heat/cold alignment (creatures with defenses against heat/cold depending on position on the scale) or insulation (simple defense of body temperature against adverse temperature change)?

I think I'm going to have two different sliders, since some creatures might not really care about temperatures unless it's extreme in either direction (say, the undead), while some will have high resistance in one direction but not the other, and so on. For creatures that can wear items, insulation will definitely make a difference, but no number of scarves is going to persuade a Cyclops into the poles :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 03, 2012, 01:57:19 pm »

Um, great, uh. Two URR posts above you. On this page. The one with the picture? Just up a bit? Yeah. I think you botched your spot check.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #333 on: February 03, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »

well, about how long until a download is released? it says before the end of the year, but that is a bit ambiguous, given the amount of time to the end of the year.

That hasn't been the release date for a long time - that was referring to LAST year :). Looking at around the middle of this year, realistically.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2012, 07:23:36 pm »

Um, great, uh. Two URR posts above you. On this page. The one with the picture? Just up a bit? Yeah. I think you botched your spot check.
*facedesks*
well, now there is a profuse amount of blood coming from my nose, I can feel good that I facedesked appropriatl-
*blacks out*

:(. I have been known to do the exact same thing before. I might actually adjust the front page, maybe, with a summary of current thoughts or similar at some point...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2012, 06:43:58 am »

Believe me, I did worse :-[

Anywho, how's the game going? :D

We talked a lot about magic but what about magic weapons and armor? If it's going to get implemented, I don't want it to be like Skyrim's enchanting (40 pts fire damage, that's all?) soooo, I don't have any brights ideas really. What do you guys think?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #336 on: February 06, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

Believe me, I did worse :-[

Anywho, how's the game going? :D

We talked a lot about magic but what about magic weapons and armor? If it's going to get implemented, I don't want it to be like Skyrim's enchanting (40 pts fire damage, that's all?) soooo, I don't have any brights ideas really. What do you guys think?

Well! Working on the user interface at the moment; finishing up the skills menu, updating the map key, adding an options menu, working on the worldgen page, letting the player toggle nine-directional movement if they don't have a numpad, etc. Working mostly on creatures at the moment. Now that everything on the map is done, I'd like to finish up the UI by the end of tomorrow, then from Wednesday I'll be focusing entirely on creatures. As for magic weapons/armor, I'm not sure yet; I think I'm going to have a ritual system for adding enchantments to weapons, though I think those are going to be very, very rare.

In the meantime, there's a new devblog entry! In it, I talk all about BLOOD in Ultima Ratio Regum, and the various effects that various kinds of creature blood might have. Go read!

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/02/06/building-a-creature-part-3/

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 07, 2012, 01:09:34 am »

Hi Ultima, in response to your blog update, I'd definitely be interested in reading more entries about how you do things code-wise.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:27 am »

Yeah, most roguelike players at least dabble in coding anyway. Last time I dabbled in coding, I was writing scripts for TES:Oblivion. So, I don't know much about coding but I know most people would want to know the code-y side of the game.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 07, 2012, 09:16:11 am »

I agree, I would love to hear about your coding.
I began working on a project in Python slightly after you began URR, and you are far far far ahead of me, so I would love to learn some sekrets.
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #340 on: February 07, 2012, 09:47:29 am »

are you using libtcod?
I got nothing

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 07, 2012, 09:51:54 am »

Not sure if that is directed at me, but Yes I am. And I'm pretty sure URR is as well.
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 07, 2012, 10:09:43 am »

URR is written in Python?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:12 pm »

URR is written in Python?
Yup. He is using python + libtcod if I remember right.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:04:40 pm by Leatra »

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

Can't wait for this.Take your time and good luck.

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 222