Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What was your most EPIC Fort Death?  (Read 2420 times)

sarus92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was your most EPIC Fort Death?
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:49:29 pm »

Being a newer player of Dwarf Fortress I have yet to really skim all of what Dwarf Fortress has to offer being as the learning curve is so steep. With that being said I LOVE to read about how other peoples Forts fell to ruin to cheer up my newbie Fort deaths.

Ill go first..

I had a Goblin baby snatcher come in and steal a baby. So I assigned a few people to the military and had them stand guard outside and being that I am a newb I forgot about the fact that I had to tell them to go eat so half went Stark-raving mad as did the Mother of the missing child which led to a glorious and wonderful tantrum-spiral..

So how did your Fort die?

EDIT: By the way I just have to say this is probably the coolest community of players I have ever seen. Unlike other game communities. Just visit the Minecraft forums and you'll see what I mean.

EDIT2: Modified title for maximum awesomeness after the "which one" comment below.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:35:46 pm by sarus92 »

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did your Fort die?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:06:57 pm »

I don't have anything interestinng, but you might like some of these:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Headshoots/

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Syrupleaf/

I have read them all and can personally attest to their awesomeness.

You'll probably also want to drop by the community games and forums thread:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:26:32 pm »

Massive defensive flaw.

I'm sure the goblins appreciated the easy entrance, though...

Sanguine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »

Which one? :p My last one went under when I locked a merchant into the depot with 6 legendary axedwarves and somehow the merchant killed an axedwarf before going down and then the axedwarves went berserk and killed everything...
Once liquids are implemented properly, you could set up a mandatory test involving potential military dwarves swim through a sea of blood on their way through the testing.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: What was your most EPIC Fort Death?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:43:59 pm »

I have two, both from the days of d40.  Well, more than two but these two are particular favorites.

The baroness liked bins.  Really, really liked bins.  She mandated that no bins should be exported.  Me being an idiot accidentally traded one.  Me also being an idiot, I had law enforcement turned out.  20 dwarves out of 100 ended up being punished for this heinous crime.  Three died.  Let's just say, it didn't end well.  Oh screw it: it caused an epic tantrum spiral, during the course of which a kid killed another dwarf and made a shoe out of him.

Another fort, another time.

I was running Dig Dwarfier, which adds sieges from orcs and dark elves.  I had a strong military, and several named champions.  Orc invaded, and I mopped the floor with them.  All was well, except...

One of my legendaries lost his girlfriend and two best friends in the battle.  He went berserk, and tracked down and killed every other dwarf in the fort and killed them, including his buddies, some of whom were also legendary.  While this was going on, dark elves made the mistake of ambushing.  He wiped them off the map.

finally, it came down to him, a badly injured carpenter and a badly injured mason, both laid up in bed.   At that point, I abandoned the fort.  Thus does end the sad tale of Sacksizzled.  I can't recall the previous fort's name.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »

Ooh, my most epic fort, you say?

Minor defensive flaw.

The trolls really seemed to enjoy my dining hall, though...

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 07:53:23 pm »

Accidental double-post.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:04:51 pm by Nyxalinth »
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 07:55:59 pm »

The dwarven civ died out on my map, so my fort was the last mountainhome.  I recruited everyone, marched them up to a pre-built room over a breaching point into the HFS, and opened it. 

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:34 pm »

Nyxalinth, you posted the same thing twice.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »

It was epic enough I made a thread for it.  It wasn't real long ago, you should still be able to find it pretty easy.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Specter513

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:17 pm »

Forgetting to attach lever to bridge
It was messy
At one point I thought I had held them, then some copper armed gobbo somehow kills my adamantine armored commander. From that point on, everything was shit. The last dwarf surviving died because he was in a hospital bed even though he wasn't wounded, but just sleeping there, until he died of dehydration and starvation. Oh, and he also threw 2 tantrums while asleep. Don't ask me how.
Leprechauns actually. That "magically delicious taste" prefstring soon lead to their total extinction.
Congratulations, you killed the only things considered dominant and have heralded the end of civilization in your world as you know it.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

First off, we're a tight community I think for the same reason people band together under extreme pressure. Either that or because of shared insanity.

Lets see.. I've lost 5 forts before I figured out pressure. The best was when I was building -up- in a mountain so most of my dorf corpses got shoved out the front door.

Most spectacular though was when a siege arrived, and I panicked and posted all my men out front on the ice of the river. We would face them Alexander Nevsky style.

Then summer came and my entire fort drowned. I wanted to be angry but was laughing too hard.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »

Nyxalinth, you posted the same thing twice.

Yeah I just spotted that.  It was having trouble posting earlier, so I'll take fof the double post.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:28:57 pm »

I had the smart idea of making my militia captain my sheriff, so when the mayor took a nose dive into my lava moat, the sheriff killed 90% of the population and so I put the final 5 or so emotionless husks into a squad and sent them on a kill order of every living thing possible in the units list
unfortunately, the kill order was still broken at that time, so I had to move order them all around until they were eventually killed off.
if I sugar coated it a bit, it would be a lot cooler
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 01:36:46 am »

My very first 'successful' (i.e. survived to get migrants) fort died due to a combination of accidently channelling a major river through the dining room and releasing a caged bronze colossus into the bedroom level.

Watching 80 dwarves choose between being slaughtered and drowning was vaguely entertaining, and very informative...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.
Pages: [1] 2