Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Everything your nobles need  (Read 2211 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Everything your nobles need
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:30 pm »

Have nobles complaining that their rooms are too cold?  No worries, as soon as you link them up to your magma reservoir!  They'll never again have to worry about the draft when you install my patented Dwarven Central Heating System!  Now with an elaborate airlock system, because it wouldn't do to have those commoners enjoying the luxury of magma-heated floors.  When your noble grows tired of the DCHS, it is a simple matter to drain off the magma to the attached reservoir for disposal (or recycling, if you're into elfy things like that).  The DCHS is sure to please even the pickiest, mandatiest of nobles!  Yours for only the price of the iron furniture (and, to really give it that industrious feel, throw in an ironwood bed too)!  Only while supplies last!
Spoiler: schematics (click to show/hide)

Maybe your mayor is tired of being covered with the blood of a thousand sieges.  In that case, don't send them all the way to the well for cleaning!  Instead, bring the bath to them!  The Dwarven Bath-In-Your-Room is guaranteed to make sure that your nobles never have to worry about being dirty again!  Just a few screw pumps, a door, a floodgate or two, a hatch cover, and some mechanisms, and you too can have the DBIYR for your nobles!  Be sure to lock the door when using the DBIYR, so that none of your lesser dwarves grow jealous of the luxury your deserving nobles have access to.  Afterwards, all the water can easily be collected for treatment.  Buy yours today!

So, anyone else have ways of "treating" their nobles?  Please share!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
Re: Everything your nobles need
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:55:22 pm »

Have nobles complaining that their rooms are too cold?  No worries, as soon as you link them up to your magma reservoir!  They'll never again have to worry about the draft when you install my patented Dwarven Central Heating System!  Now with an elaborate airlock system, because it wouldn't do to have those commoners enjoying the luxury of magma-heated floors.  When your noble grows tired of the DCHS, it is a simple matter to drain off the magma to the attached reservoir for disposal (or recycling, if you're into elfy things like that).  The DCHS is sure to please even the pickiest, mandatiest of nobles!  Yours for only the price of the iron furniture (and, to really give it that industrious feel, throw in an ironwood bed too)!  Only while supplies last!

Maybe your mayor is tired of being covered with the blood of a thousand sieges.  In that case, don't send them all the way to the well for cleaning!  Instead, bring the bath to them!  The Dwarven Bath-In-Your-Room is guaranteed to make sure that your nobles never have to worry about being dirty again!  Just a few screw pumps, a door, a floodgate or two, a hatch cover, and some mechanisms, and you too can have the DBIYR for your nobles!  Be sure to lock the door when using the DBIYR, so that none of your lesser dwarves grow jealous of the luxury your deserving nobles have access to.  Afterwards, all the water can easily be collected for treatment.  Buy yours today!

Acupuncture.

'Nuff said.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 05:04:02 pm »

I usually enlist problematic nobles into the military, so they can die a glorious death in battle!

...never mind whether or not they're properly trained. Or equipped.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »

I usually enlist problematic nobles into the military, so they can die a glorious death in battle!

Of course. What could be more glorious than a lone noble charging the goblin horde clad in his finest silks and brandishing nothing but his fists of dwarven fury?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 06:28:15 pm »

Of course. What could be more glorious than a lone noble charging the goblin horde clad in his finest silks and brandishing nothing but his beard of dwarven fury?
Fixed that for you.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:25 pm »

Acupuncture.

'Nuff said.

You're using that in addition to magma, right?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 06:40:57 pm »

Acupuncture.

'Nuff said.

You're using that in addition to magma, right?

He's Necro910.  Do you really have to ask?
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 09:06:47 pm »

I did that, too. My mayor, Shem Spraygorge the Hardy Shield-Insanity of Color, is now a legendary axedwarf, second in skill only to the militia commander, and he's since singlehandedly solo'd a giantess in 2 1/4 pages of combat, finishing her off with a kick to the head whilst she was still standing up. I suspect he jumped several meters up (in full steel plate) to plant his foot in her brain.

If he ever tantrums, the fort's probably going to be collectively bisected.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:44 pm »

The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:52:04 pm »

Come one, come all, to the fantastic noble gladiator pit! Watch a bunch of nobles go berserk after being locked in a room with no food or drink! Gaze in awe as the last one standing is left to die of infection!

All this and more in this bi-yearly event; the noble-fight of Bloodyanus! (Name not randomed)
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 01:53:37 am »

I give them the finest of rooms, the best furniture the fortress can produce and a detailed history/picture show in their every room, as well as tending to their whims, whether it's forbidding export of certain objects, producing trinkets, specific materials or hammering some dorf for failing to do one of the previously mentioned things.

...what? I've played so long that right now the nobles spice up what would otherwise be the same-old routine of "build fort, get steel, arm yourself and go down fighting".

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 08:35:21 pm »

Naturally, the fortress I built these in actually has awesome nobles.  My baroness likes iron and menacing spikes, and my mayor also likes iron.  Still, it's nice to know that I can easily dispose of anydwarf I dislike.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:59:54 pm »

Ah, I see you have stumbled upon the ancient art of "dealing with nobles", I remember that when I first came to these forums this method was so popular it was a much loved meme.