Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best fort setup for equipping an adventurer  (Read 1741 times)

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best fort setup for equipping an adventurer
« on: October 09, 2011, 03:33:27 pm »

If I have a stable fort with adamantine, a strong military, and stable industries and decide I should make a stack for equipping an adventurer, what should I put in it?

The wiki says it should be something like

Head
2 x adamantine caps
1 x adamantine helm
6 x adamantine thread hoods

Upper Body
1 x adamantine breastplate
3 x adamantine mail shirts
6 x adamantine thread cloaks

Lower Body
2 x adamantine thread trousers
1 x adamantine greaves

Hands
1 x pair of adamantine gauntlets
1 x pair of adamantine thread mittens

Feet
1 x pair of adamantine thread socks
1 x pair of adamantine high boots

Weapon
1x adamantine short sword (or any adamantine artifact weapon)
1x adamantine shield (or any adamantine artifact buckler)

As well as a stack of platinum serrated discs.

Any other ideas for adventure mode equiptment-based massacre?

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: Best fort setup for equipping an adventurer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:34:45 pm »

Replace the shield with something heavier, like Copper. Or if you're willing to do a little modding, platinum. Shield material only affects bashing, so the heavier the better.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:14:31 pm »

Clothing items are rather poor armor overall, regardless.  I'd just stick with helm, breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high boots.  If anything is penetrating those, then you're already in trouble.  Shields are also better with weight, but if you're an adventurer then chances are you won't be purposefully shield bashing, so that depends on your style.  I'd also add a backpack, except don't those have to be leather?  Flask too perhaps, because you've gotta be classy.  Oh, and a crown, made from the "crafts" option.  Not useful, but you can actually wear it on your head, what's not to love?

More importantly, you'll want a danger room that has a river-fed repeater.  You can build a second fort for this, if your current isn't convenient.  But that will train up all your important stats, which is, well, important!

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:00:27 pm »

Clothing items are rather poor armor overall, regardless.  I'd just stick with helm, breastplate, mail shirt, gauntlets, greaves, high boots.  If anything is penetrating those, then you're already in trouble.  Shields are also better with weight, but if you're an adventurer then chances are you won't be purposefully shield bashing, so that depends on your style.  I'd also add a backpack, except don't those have to be leather?  Flask too perhaps, because you've gotta be classy.  Oh, and a crown, made from the "crafts" option.  Not useful, but you can actually wear it on your head, what's not to love?

More importantly, you'll want a danger room that has a river-fed repeater.  You can build a second fort for this, if your current isn't convenient.  But that will train up all your important stats, which is, well, important!

I had no idea crowns could be worn on the head! Whenever my weapon is lodged in something I move away to dislodge it, so copper it is. You can have an adamantine thread backpack. Also, 'if your current isn't convenient', hah.

Replace the shield with something heavier, like Copper. Or if you're willing to do a little modding, platinum. Shield material only affects bashing, so the heavier the better.

Here's to hoping for a lead artifact shield...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 10:10:25 pm »

Unlike mail shirts, cloaks protect the throat and face so, yes, you certainly should invest the time in those to prevent that freak bolt to the throat or eye. It's unbelievably annoying to lose a high level adventurer to that one lucky bandit with a crossbow. Also, while barring an unbelievably lucky shot, the adamantine armor won't be penetrated, your adventurer can and will be bruised through that armor and bruises can become infected. Sufficient clothing layers will prevent this.

If you want absolute max protection, you can also leave a few adamantine cloth lying around so that your dwarf can wrap it around each hand.

I'd also recommend taking spare weapons just in case the first one gets lodged in something or ripped away from you by a Bronze Colossus or similar creature.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 10:56:30 pm »

Although it's pretty awesome, you don't have to build a fort to equip your adventurer with adamantine armor.

Adding a reaction/editing a reaction can give you free stuff. Since I didn't want to regen a new world, I just repurposed the sharp rock reaction:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_SHARP_ROCK]
    [NAME:increase power level to maximum]
  [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:2:GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:2:SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [SKILL: SWORD]

Can be improved on with more items - that was just a simple one.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:38 pm »

Although it's pretty awesome, you don't have to build a fort to equip your adventurer with adamantine armor.

Adding a reaction/editing a reaction can give you free stuff. Since I didn't want to regen a new world, I just repurposed the sharp rock reaction:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAKE_SHARP_ROCK]
    [NAME:increase power level to maximum]
  [ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:2:GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [PRODUCT:100:1:PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHIELD:ITEM_SHIELD_SHIELD:METAL:ADAMANTINE]
    [SKILL: SWORD]

Can be improved on with more items - that was just a simple one.
yeah but that would be cheating!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 11:44:03 pm »

Have a lever which lowers a drawbridge leading to hell. Use your newly maxed adventurer to kill the demons and become a god.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Scottzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Water is truly the most dwarven of fluids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 12:12:16 am »

AFAIK clothing doesn't decay in adventure mode. Hence, the best clothing material should be used: adamantine strands.
Yes. Equip your adventurer in armor AND clothing of masterwork adamantine. He shall be indestructible.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:38 am »

AFAIK clothing doesn't decay in adventure mode. Hence, the best clothing material should be used: adamantine strands.
Yes. Equip your adventurer in armor AND clothing of masterwork adamantine. He shall be indestructible.
Since punches are blunt attacks, and blunt attacks bypass armor-

FALCON...

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 12:50:18 am »

FALCON...
MAGMAAAAA!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:51:21 am »

Slade gloves.  That is all.

Also, I was playing adventure mode, and raided a minotaur's lair.  He had a gold crown, and I'm like "fuck yeah let's wear that shit!" and then I wore it ._.  It kinda surprised me that I was able to, but then you hear about human demon diplomats arriving wearing strange hair rings, and stuff.  Amulets, crows, figurines, scepters, etc are all hard-coded, so they've likely been given a hard-coded wearable position.

With that in mind, I wonder how good a scepter is at combat?  Now I want an adventurer decked out in black robes with a scepter, striking down titans...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 12:55:42 am »

FALCON...
MAGMAAAAA!
You have learned well, young magmawan.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 12:56:42 am »

FALCON...
MAGMAAAAA!
You have learned well, young magmawan.
I am honoured to be complimented by the Master of Magma.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:06:05 am by Epithemius »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 01:08:41 am »

Adventurers can wear amulets, earrings, crowns, bracelets, and rings. You can't put a bracelet on the same arm that has a gauntlet on it. Same for crowns interfering with caps or helms, though you can only wear one of them. Scepters, if I recall, have a weight of less than one and are useless for combat as a result.

Also, adamantine clothing does eventually wear out even in Adventure Mode, but it takes several years of game time and that is more than enough for you to depopulate entire continents worth of Megabeasts in the meantime. I have an Adventurer in an old save that has been running around for two years now and his adamantine cloaks are just now getting to "shows some wear".
Pages: [1] 2