Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HAPPY DAY!!!  (Read 1861 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
HAPPY DAY!!!
« on: October 09, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »

I embarked on a volcano, right? Cool story and all that. Turns out I've also embarked on a Roc's nest complete with eggs and breeding pair!

Now to capture them so they don't cause trouble, and wait for the kids to hatch so I can actually use them.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:07:47 pm by ASCIt »
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: HAPPY DAY!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 02:07:30 pm »

Awesome!  It is your dwarfly responsibility to combine the two in some way never before attempted, for !!Science!!.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 02:21:59 pm »

Spoiler: Oh yes, here's this: (click to show/hide)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 02:53:17 pm »

Fish swimming on land in formation? Nifty.

Also, what Nyxalinth said. Armoured war rocs with automated crossbow turrets. Pew pew pew pew etc.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:38 pm »

Good luck catching them.  Residents of the local map are immune to cage traps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:08 pm »

My big question is whether the two eggs will hatch, and if they do whether it's possible to predict/effect their genders.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:38:06 pm »

I wouldn't be worried about gender. so much as how to spring this gift from Armok [RNG] on the Elves/goblins/Trick or treaters... :D
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »

To catch them I'd dig a tunnel towards them without breaking the surface at their end, then place a couple of cage traps, chain an animal as bait on your side of the traps, and finally breach the surface on their end.

The Rocs should go after the animal, be forced to ground level by the ceiling, and get caught in the traps.

To domesticate them you'd need to edit their raws so that instead of [PET_EXOTIC] you have [PET]. Creatures with [PET_EXOTIC] can only be trained once the dungeon master but he's bugged and never arrives right now. [PET] allows anyone to do the training.

The only problem you might have with domestication besides the above is if they've killed dwarves before. If they have you can still domesticate them but they may someday attack without warning. To avoid this you can chain them both up with the female in reach of a nest box. The children will not be potentially aggressive to your dwarves.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:36 pm »

To catch them I'd dig a tunnel towards them without breaking the surface at their end, then place a couple of cage traps, chain an animal as bait on your side of the traps, and finally breach the surface on their end.

The Rocs should go after the animal, be forced to ground level by the ceiling, and get caught in the traps.

To domesticate them you'd need to edit their raws so that instead of [PET_EXOTIC] you have [PET]. Creatures with [PET_EXOTIC] can only be trained once the dungeon master but he's bugged and never arrives right now. [PET] allows anyone to do the training.

The only problem you might have with domestication besides the above is if they've killed dwarves before. If they have you can still domesticate them but they may someday attack without warning. To avoid this you can chain them both up with the female in reach of a nest box. The children will not be potentially aggressive to your dwarves.
This won't work. A megabeast at embark cannot be captured in cage traps unless Stunned/Webbed first.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:34 pm »

This won't work. A megabeast at embark cannot be captured in cage traps unless Stunned/Webbed first.

True. Have them run along a very long corridor of cage traps, with fortifications on either side. When they're on the traps, have a cave-in on the other side of the fortifications to stun them.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »

How long does a Roc egg usually take to hatch? I'm currently working under the assumption of ten years.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 05:40:45 pm »

You learn something new everyday. Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:37:04 pm »

I don't know what we are looking for in the picture...?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »

I don't know what we are looking for in the picture...?

Erm... My eyes hurt with that texture pack but it looks like... err.. those might be some fish... 'round a boulder?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 10:20:17 pm »

It's a Roc nest, and there are two Roc adults in there somewhere.
Pages: [1] 2