Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am getting bored of DF... halp!  (Read 2682 times)

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am getting bored of DF... halp!
« on: October 08, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

That's right, I'm getting bored of DF.  Or to be more specific, I am completely uninspired to play it lately.

Please suggest some ways I can evoke the spirit of !!Fun!! that emanates from DF once more!
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I am getting bored of DF... halp!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »

Try some of the harder mods, maybe try a cavern or above-ground fort, look at the wiki for challenges, thats my recommendation
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:36 pm »

I would suggest not playing it for several months. Then coming back to it for some good !!fun!!.  Or, you could run Genesis mod. The best DF mod around, in my opinion.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »

Mod in odd things! Giant chickens with badger like personality are the best!
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 08:18:44 pm »

A fortress with no traps.

That'll be fun.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 08:26:44 pm »

A fortress with no traps.

That'll be fun.
BONUS: Make it in the caverns
BONUS BONUS: Make it in the third cavern layer and make all migrants/traders/invaders walk through most of all three layers to reach your fort
DWARF BONUS: No traps
MEGA DWARF BONUS: No Magma
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:54 pm »

am i the only one who doesn't play with traps?

also, don't play until the new version is released. then there'll be tonnes of new shit that'll get you right inspired.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:36 pm »

While you're waiting, try a self-imposed challenge like pretending to be hobbits.

Clotifoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 09:00:58 pm »

Ty for the suggestions guys.  I had never considered an above-ground fort before, so I think I will make one... in the terrifying swamps. :)

Also I would totally mod in stuff if I knew how.  I LOVE the idea of S.L.A.D.E but wish it had a bit more... completeness to it.
"What's the deep dark pit, that turns mining operations to shit?"  "The shaft!"  "You see this shaft is a bad mother--"
"Shut your mouth!"
"But I'm talkin' about the shaft!"
"Then we can dig it."

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:46:51 am »

That's right, I'm getting bored of DF.  Or to be more specific, I am completely uninspired to play it lately.

Please suggest some ways I can evoke the spirit of !!Fun!! that emanates from DF once more!

Take a break. Do something else. Come back to it when you feel that itch to play again. Or try playing games out of your ideal setting you go for. Challenge yourself.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:42 pm »

Take a break. Do something else. Come back to it when you feel that itch to play again. Or try playing games out of your ideal setting you go for. Challenge yourself.

This. If you try to cling to the game even if you don't feel it you'll just burn yourself out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »

This. If you try to cling to the game even if you don't feel it you'll just burn yourself out.

Sometimes literally
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 02:06:42 am »

If you're bored with DF, it means that you haven't completely given up on Warhammer 40K. The only way to make sure you never lose interest in dwarf fortress is to light the disk for WH40K on fire, throw it out a closed window to ensure that the glass shatters, and hope like hell that it doesn't hit that hornets' nest or the neighbor's house! :P
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:55:36 pm »

Make a fort that relies only on itself to provide food and supplies.
Feel free to decide your own limits though, like whether or not buy wood from caravans, food or extra animals to add up to your lifestock. Really strives you on the edge.

Taught me harshly not to spend 1 season to mine where I want and 3 more seasons before I even got the time to start irrigating a hollowed-out room. By that the booze had ran dry over a season ago, we were fast running out of food and were up to 38 dorfs.

Got as far as "Hunting Vermin For Food" but then a few wyverns or something flew in, killed a few guys but were taken down. Wyverns chopped for meat, tallow made into DELICIOUS BISCUITS and the farm produce finally caught up to demand.

Crisis averted. Was pretty fun. Especially when a flaming quadruped titan attacked just when the signs of starvation hit, but got punched to death by a lye maker. That dorf is now on several statues, laughing, while the titan is cowering. They decided not to make statues of the lye maker screaming and bleeding to death. Would be bad for morale, you see.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:15:11 pm »

Try a hand at modding. It's great fun when you know the inner workings of your dwarves, like how sharp their nails are, and changing said nails to adamantine. If you don't know how to mod, you should try to learn.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: [1] 2