Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throwing Cyclops body into a Bronze Colossus  (Read 2235 times)

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Throwing Cyclops body into a Bronze Colossus
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:52:18 am »

The spinning Edėm Uderib Belalrīsen Edėm's corpse strikes The Bronze Colossus in the upper body, but the attack glances away!
The body weighs 17803Г (~17 tons, a weight of a crowded school bus!). Are you kidding me? It's no more, no less - a cave-in :( And you say, some fluffy wambler could harm a BC after that?

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing Cyclops body into a Bronze Colossus
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 11:12:16 am »

Only in DF: body sized a school bus glances away from it's target.

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:23:00 am »

Well, after those stories of vomits, killing dragons, I was absolutely sure, that this huge body (the huges I have seen, probably weighs more, than a BC itself?) would crumble a BC into smithereens.

Blizzlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »

The Wiki states that a Bronze Colossus can be as big as 20,000,000. And a Cyclops 8,000,000, so it wouldn't be bigger then the Bronze Colossus.
Note to all: Do not give alcoholic midgets swords that can cut the face of god and then make them march around in their undies.
They don't like that.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:32 pm »

I don't think size or weight matter in adventure mode. I think it works differently then it would in dwarf mode because all thrown object other then weapons have the (misc) tag and the game has trouble taking the weight,size and density of EVERY object in the game. This is why sand which is just a thousand little speck does the same damage as a shale scepter.  I think is the operative phrasee though

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:11:51 pm »

My combat in DF is largely like that episode of The Simpsons where homer attempts to stop something by throwing everything he has at it- coins, dirt, fluff, then he rips his undies off and throws them too.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:37 pm »

How did you pick the body up to throw it without massive crippling speed penalties?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:50:01 pm »

I think Fluffy wambler corpses had MAXEDGE, or something. They are like razor blades.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:58 am »

Which type of ton are you referring to exactly?
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:44:08 am »

The spinning Edėm Uderib Belalrīsen Edėm's corpse strikes The Bronze Colossus in the upper body, but the attack glances away!
The body weighs 17803Г (~17 tons, a weight of a crowded school bus!). Are you kidding me? It's no more, no less - a cave-in :( And you say, some fluffy wambler could harm a BC after that?
In older versions of DF, throwing was deadly because of its power.
In newer versions of DF, throwing is deadly because you can easily get a lot of ammo and throw it a lot faster than shooting a cross- or normal bow, without losing more than the occasional stray shot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:52:43 am »

In older versions of DF, throwing was deadly because of its power.
In newer versions of DF, throwing is deadly because you can easily get a lot of ammo and throw it a lot faster than shooting a cross- or normal bow, without losing more than the occasional stray shot.

That guy beheaded a BC with a Fluffy Wambler in 2010, not in 40d.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

virus_found

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 05:11:50 pm »

How did you pick the body up to throw it without massive crippling speed penalties?
Who says I did? My normal speed in medium armour is 1950, but with the body the speed is 106. But I'm a legendary ambusher, so I can come close enough to the BC to hit it with the body :) Such attack glance away too.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 06:48:27 am »

I've often wondered how misc items are worked out. The game seems to be pretty hit and miss with the results of throwing them.

Serrated discs, I've heard, tend to function as effectively as imagined though.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:08:54 pm »

I've often wondered how misc items are worked out. The game seems to be pretty hit and miss with the results of throwing them.

Serrated discs, I've heard, tend to function as effectively as imagined though.

Serrated discs are very effective, but the system gets.... weird. I've shattered a giantess' shinbone with a mortar and pestle, and peasant knives are effective enough that if I could I would forge them as a throwing weapon rather than serrated discs.