Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I had 110 pages of a dwarf being stabbed in the head  (Read 3630 times)

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
I had 110 pages of a dwarf being stabbed in the head
« on: October 08, 2011, 09:19:08 am »

probably more by the time he died.... poor sod. He wa sin a wave of migrants that appeared just after a bunch of elves attacked. The guy was being continuously stabbed in the head with a spear and eventually I decided "right I'm going to try and save this poor bugger" as soon as I said that he died :'( (sad moment)  but anywho...

Are wooden spears THAT bad that the battle report could have over 110 pages of being stabbed in the head? My dwarves were dying horrible slow and torturous deaths, damned elves! (my metal industry wasn't up and running yet)
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: I had 110 pages of a dwarf being stabbed in the head
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 09:40:12 am »

I think there's a bug right now where sometimes a guy "clings to life" despite the utter amount of destruction being rained down on him. Usually it ends with the guy dying as soon as the enemy is driven off and he isn't under attack anymore, although I think they can die in the middle of the assault too. Just that it takes really really long.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:49:35 am »

I think there's a bug right now where sometimes a guy "clings to life" despite the utter amount of destruction being rained down on him. Usually it ends with the guy dying as soon as the enemy is driven off and he isn't under attack anymore, although I think they can die in the middle of the assault too. Just that it takes really really long.

Also, the brain being destroyed will also kill him. And I think bleeding to death might too.

Yeah, wooden weapons are crap. The upside of angering elves is that they only bring wooden weapons and armour. The downside is that they're basically almost all archers, and will turn your civilians into pincushions.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:05:15 pm »

One word: Adrenaline
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:12:10 pm »

One word: Adrenaline

Not when he's unconscious, it ain't. Adrenaline would keep you from going unconscious.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »

Right, it's jsut that dwarves can't die while unconscious.  It's a biological impossibility.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:55:53 pm »

Right, it's jsut that dwarves can't die while unconscious.  It's a biological impossibility.

I have seen more than enough reports of unconsciousness being followed by "-Has bled to death." to contradict this.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:01:49 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:11:31 pm »

I love it when dwarves do this. I like to imagine the elf, hacking away at an unconscious Dwarf for hours, as the other elves just gather round, watching.

Elfy McTreehugger: Bob, you've been doing that for hours, can we just go? I don't feel comfortable with this any-more. Fighting them is fine but this is just...embarrassing.
Elfy McBob: NO! I WILL HAVE HIS HEAD! *poke* *poke*
Used to be anyone who tried to melee with a blunt weapon in the first versions of DF2010. All those anecdotes of dwarves dying of thirst because they were beating up some donkey for 3 months non-stop, etc.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:34:34 pm »

I have seen more than enough reports of unconsciousness being followed by "-Has bled to death." to contradict this.
Quite. I've seen plenty examples of people going unconscious and then being finished. Last one was Smithpaddles the troglodyte who managed to kill a good Dwarf Warrior (one out of five of the buggers punching her) but succumbed to a reign of hammer blows; he fell unconscious and the hammerdwarf had to stamp his brain in after that; a kill while it was unconscious. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »

Quite. I've seen plenty examples of people going unconscious and then being finished. Last one was Smithpaddles the troglodyte who managed to kill a good Dwarf Warrior (one out of five of the buggers punching her) but succumbed to a reign of hammer blows; he fell unconscious and the hammerdwarf had to stamp his brain in after that; a kill while it was unconscious. :P

Hey, you, go learn a real language! :P

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:12:01 pm »

What, another one?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:17:28 pm »

Well, wooden swords are weak , but I can confirm that there's some bug around (I've had it happen several times now) that makes it impossible to kill an enemy with blunt weapons unless you sever a part of his body.

Example :
Goblin 1 > Unarmored , No weapons on , Squad of 7 Swordsdwarves with wooden training swords : Died after some period of time.
Troll 1 > Unarmored , No Weapons : SQ7 Killed it in 7 mins.
Troll 2 > Unarmored , No Weapons : SQ7 did not manage to kill it in 2 months , added an swordsman with metal weapon and slashed its head off : Instant death.

It seems to rather happen with stronger enemies , the wounds though are usually broken bones on the whole body (I had a troll get every single bone broken and not die) and the enemies are usually unconscious. It's probably related to the dwarves not being able to do a "cup de grace" whith the wooden sword (Ie slash off the limb).

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »

Well, a caved-in skull works just fine to finish about anyone, but it's possible a wooden sword may not have the penetrating power nor weight to break the head.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 01:49:38 pm »

How many of the attacks actually connected and how many were deflected? At a guess, the overwhelming majority of the strikes just glanced off the guy's hood or whatever head covering he had. Cloth can deflect a wooden weapon a good percentage of the time and leather is even more effective.
Pages: [1] 2