Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-ins  (Read 755 times)

Kurtisk1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-ins
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:20:46 am »

What exactly causes them?  I'm still confused about them and I don't want my fort to collapse. 

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-ins
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:35 am »

If something isnt connected to anything else, it will collapse.

the system is highly unrealistic—you can hold up a giant megafortress by a slender pillar of soap

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Cave_in

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 07:30:49 am »

When a floor tile, or a wall piece(dug tile or a solid piece of soil/stone apply as well) isn't supported from one of the 4 sides and there's nothing beneath them either, the piece will collapse. Tiles aren't supported diagonally either.

That applies to mining, as well as making ramps under trees. When that happens and the tile beneath a tree is ramped, the tree will collapse, probably killing your miner.

Then there's building related cavein's.
For example, bridges don't support tiles. You can build walls around them for safety reasons, but you need to build 'em one or two pieces at a time and ALWAYS start to build the wall so it's connected to something solid. Any piece built otherwise will instantly collapse upon completion, probably killing your dwarf/dwarves.

Grates don't support things either. Even other grates, so if you ever meddle with 'em, remember that or once again, they'll collapse and probably kill your dwarf/dwarves.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:01:16 am »

This ain't Minecraft, son. THIS game has rules. If you try to make a floating house, it's gonna fall. 'Round here, we got sumthin called gravity.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:40:45 am »

This ain't Minecraft, son. THIS game has rules. If you try to make a floating house, it's gonna fall. 'Round here, we got sumthin called gravity.

Well you CAN hold it on a single tile. So it's ALMOST as if it was floating.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 11:41:45 am »

You CAN turn cave-ins off in the init file.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

Which is generally considered cheating. Unless you're doing it to make a floating battleship, in which case it is considered AWESOME.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.