Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: DF Talk: Playstyles and You  (Read 75615 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: DF Talk: Playstyles and You
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2011, 04:38:15 am »

I just love to take things apart and see how they work. This includes (but is not limited to) DF.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2011, 05:50:46 am »

i started a gameist, and sure, i still enjoy killing things in droves like any dwarven lad does, but ive gotten into construction and i love the simulation as ive been here. my only problem is my own laptop limitations so.

im pritty much split 3 ways.

Have to say the best part is finding the small quirks and bugs and parts of the game that dont quite fit together and preforming !!SCIENCE!!
still working on getting round that miner uniform bug and mapping out its parameters.

so i would say im a !!SCIENTIST!! player in those regards, but i enjoy the other aspects equaly as much as seeing how many kittens it takes to make dwarves tantrum.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:43 am »

I disagree with the premise of the initial post. I think most players just play DF, mess around with a world for a day or two, seeing what cool things they can build, probably attempt a megaproject, fail horribly, then abandon. They mess around adventure mode but don't spend much time in it because there isn't much to do yet. Perhaps they try to create cool history or accomplishments, but they arn't hardcore into any particular 'style' as per above. I would agree there are very vocal people in those three camps, however.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2011, 10:06:36 am »

I disagree with the premise of the initial post. I think most players just play DF, mess around with a world for a day or two, seeing what cool things they can build, probably attempt a megaproject, fail horribly, then abandon. They mess around adventure mode but don't spend much time in it because there isn't much to do yet. Perhaps they try to create cool history or accomplishments, but they arn't hardcore into any particular 'style' as per above. I would agree there are very vocal people in those three camps, however.

No, so far as I can tell, that's just you. The majority of people on these forums fall pretty squarely into one of the three camps mentioned above. Besides, you definitely described a constructionist.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2011, 10:08:51 am »

No, so far as I can tell, that's just you. The majority of people on these forums fall pretty squarely into one of the three camps mentioned above. Besides, you definitely described a constructionist.

It is sort of impossible to fall outside it. (Afterall they are play, experience, and create.)

Before you start listing other imaginary groups I shall state that they fall under these two groups
1) Doesn't apply to DF
2) Part of the other three groups. (For example "Destroy" is part of create)

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:38 am »

I guess there's no need for "Storyteller" player subtype, eh? We might just consider it part of simulationist...
As in, a player that just likes to see the story unfold, and fills the gaps with imagination.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:16:57 am by Murphy »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:07 am »

I guess there's no need for "Storyteller" player subtype, eh? We might just consider it part of simulationist...

Yep. In fact it was even officially confirmed that it is a "Subset" of Simulationist.

In my definition it falls under Experience and Create.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:18:05 am by Neonivek »

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2011, 10:20:00 am »

My point is, however, that simulationists are into watching small details and enjoying the fact these are simulated properly and are properly dependent on each other. Storytellers aren't like that, they like to have the advantage of filling in the blanks themselves.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2011, 11:02:58 am »

I'm a constructionist/simulationist in my play styles.

When I'm actually playing the game I love the simulationist point of view, of fortresses rising and falling and the stories behind them, regardless of whether or not those stories belong to me or someone else. However I also fall heavily into the constructionist camp in that I am a modder and am willing to sink hours and hours of my time in modding my game.

Basically I'm a constructionist in that I love to create the background and world that my forts take place in, but then I love seeing the stories and scenarios that are simulated in the world that I have created.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2011, 11:32:54 am »

I'm a combination of all three I suppose, tending towards simulationist. However, this is probably mostly because of issues like FPS death and overproduction and such. If the game were a little more robust, and were a little more gamey, I think I'd probably tend towards constructionist.

I tend to think that my playstyle is best described as a topiarist. A fort is more like a living thing and I can help it grow. I tend to focus more on the 'health' of the fortress than try to make it conform to proconceived notions of how it should be, or how I should play.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

uioped1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2011, 12:07:54 pm »

I fall between simulationist and gamist, close to what someone previously named narrativist.

(I also agree that the gamist definition supplied is inappropriate for DF, in the same sense that the test is.

I like DF for the simulation, hands down, however the gameplay elements are what allow the player to weave a story out of otherwise uninteresting simulation.  When I go for large constructions, it's for the story I have in mind, and I can get almost as much satisfaction out of reading other's accounts on the forum as actually playing (esp. when I get sick of mechanics issues; I'm so used to the bad ui at this point it doesn't stop me.)

The thing that I _don't_ want is for the simulation to break for the gameplay reasons listed.  The difficulty can increase due to new and different challenges, rather than an artificially-increasing difficulty curve.

I also enjoy playing roguelike games, and look forward to future adventure-mode enhancements, but again, against this uniquely rich simulation backdrop.  Edit:It's important to me for adventure mode to not be playing _against_ the simulation however.  I want challenges from the surroundings, I don't want to be challenged by the surroundings (except where that intersects Story.)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:18:38 pm by uioped1 »

Egregius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2011, 12:13:30 pm »

I feel I'm a mixture of all three. I want to ACHIEVE. I want to build crazy stuff like an automated sewer flushing mechanism, and housing according to some brain-fart concept (Constructionist), but it's all meaningless if there's not some challenge getting in the way. I get bored if the game doesn't keep throwing challenges at me, even if it's simply something like how to provide enough food and goods to keep an ever expanding fortress happy (Gamist), while I build. And if the challenges prove to be insane, yet I have a tiny chance if only I play smart? Awesome; I'm winning as long as I'm not losing, but losing needs to be a possibility for me.

But a HUGE part of the fun is seeing stories/events unfold, discovering what the game has to offer and telling my friends about 'this crazy thing that happened in DF the other day' (explorer? Or Simulationist).
Every time I see the letter c I think of cats, then genocide, then delicious stew.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2011, 12:29:28 pm »

Simulationist.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Skumball

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2011, 12:33:16 pm »

I love realistic computer games so class me as #2: Simulationist. Gritty, gritty, gritty all the way. I'm open to other game modes though, but keep Fortress mode as it is please, with your planned future updates.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2011, 04:02:31 pm »

Gamist.  Because I don't recognize the other two catagories as entertainment.  DF is a fantasy city builder, a detailed management simulator and a real time strategy war game.  It comes with its very own map generator in order to defeat the inevitable boredom that comes along with any toy.  Some people say it has RPG aspects, but I don't see them, I don't see anyone performing a role or getting into character, do you?  Atleast not in Fortress mode, and that's the only mode I boot up into.  Am I missing out on the other game aspects.  No, this is about 'my' playstyle.  I find infinite many replays in just the fortress mode. 

Other games do adventure and twitchie godlike action games better and cheaper, than Bay12.  But not fortresses.  I have yet to see a game with this kind of random map generation.  At onetime I could find this kind of galaxy generation in space games, but not anymore, they've all apparently went graphic.  Trade Wars 2000 was a favorite of mine, back when I hosted a BBS.  I imagine there are still hidden niches playing that, but its not like it once was.

I refuse to be called a simulationist or constructionalist on prinicipal, because the words aren't in my dictionary.  They are tasks performed here, as needed to succeed where needed, nothing more.  I'm a war gamer first and foremost.  If I want to survive, I do them as opposed to pushing up daisies.  They are not types of players but instead actions taken to meet a goal, WIN!  Win the skirmish, win the battle, live to fight again, live to fight longer.  Until the innevitable bug, lag or boredom shuts me down. 

I don't enjoy the term endgame, its not a term in my dictionary either.  In random sandbox worlds, they end how they end.  The convergences of randomness determine the outcome, not some preset epic neighborhood, zone or logic set.

But at the end of the day, I have to confess, that I can no longer participate in shooters, so I'm here more as a result of my aging eyes and arthritis, out of necessity, more so than by choice.  But I refuse to be swept into that sim crowd, simply because I get a little more AI assistance here and there than a younger twitchy gamer does.  My favorite genre was the MUD and early MMO, like Asheron's Call, but thats been destroyed by greedy devs over the years.  Playing a dwarf here, reminds me in some way, of playing a Lugian Tactician in AC2. 

Sincerely
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9