Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Damming a river  (Read 1205 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damming a river
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 03:11:53 pm »

I've seen two levels of water.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »

It's only one z-level of water, though it's 2 levels below the rest of the land, which is completely flat.  It looks like below, with the dashes being the top, grassy level, the @ being the dwarf standing there.  47 tiles across.

Code: [Select]
  @
----........-----
####77777777#####

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:57 pm »

Yeah, but I've seen what would look like:

##77777##
###777###

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »

Sure it wasn't a small lake in the middle of the river?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »

Drop the line of Magma; you will thank yourself latter. Attempting to dam a real river isn't worth the four hours of HOLY **** THAT SEA MONKEY JUST ATE URIST messages.

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 04:53:55 pm »

Couldn't you create a long line of pumps going across the river constantly pumping? You can pretty much completely stop a stream with that, I imagine you could do the same on any size river.

From the sound of things, the OP is talking about a major river, which can mean upwards of 50 tiles wide. I don't think that pumps along the banks would be able to completely drain it, and even if you put enough in for it to be possible, you'd still need somewhere for all that water to go, as well as the power to run them all.
Not like that, I mean building a bridge (made of floors) all the way across the river then building pumps that constantly dump the water upriver.
X%%~
X%%~
X%%~
X%%~
X%%~

X = downriver/dry spot
%% = pump
~ = upriver/water
etc. etc.

Eventually (I think, never tried stopping a whole major river before), with enough constant power, you should be able to dry up the downstream part atleast enough to get a dam built.
Pages: 1 [2]