Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mushroom problem  (Read 2516 times)

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mushroom problem
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:52:29 pm »

So yeah, I'm gonna keep this nice and simple. Got mushrooms popping up everywhere, which is fine. I can cut them down for wood without needing to send people outside. The problem is when they trap a dwarf in his bedroom. Just lost another dwarf to thirst that way and its kinda getting annoying. Any ideas?
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mushroom problem
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:13 pm »

Build passable stuff (like doors or floors) where you don't want the shrooms to grow.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:34 pm »

Pave some roads/floors over the soil/muddy rock. It removes mud and prevents trees from popping up. Also, you can designate empty stockpiles over everything. That works too.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:12 pm »

Don't make your bedrooms in the soil layers.  Dig down to the stone and make proper bedrooms in stone.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:26 pm »

Don't make your bedrooms in the soil layers.  Dig down to the stone and make proper bedrooms in stone.
This.

Soil bedrooms are rather bad.  Stone gets better value and can be smoothed/engraved as needed to boost quality.  Or build above ground.  Just that 5 layer zone of soil is terrible for building anything in.  I just use soil for farms, collecting sand/clay, and some quick early game stockpiles because a miner can clear soil faster and get food underground to safety.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 07:14:05 pm »

The majority of my fort is based in soil/clay layers....

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:18:53 pm »

So, naturally, you should expand.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 07:21:02 pm »

Btw, its possible to get this problem with engraved / smooted tiles if you happen to have an "unfortunate accident" with your Water source.
It's a pitty since there's no way to clean up the mess.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

So, naturally, you should expand.

I do, of course. I breached the sedimentary layers while building my dining room. I just don't like skipping levels.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

Here we are my friend, you won't need to skip anything:
Soil 1: I've usually used this layer as a carpentry level because I prefer surface trees, if you fish it could also be a fishery level. Anything that needs to be collected from the surface really
Soil 2: This should probably be your farming level assuming it's all soil (no intermittent rock deposits). Have a large area for plots
Soil 3: This can make a passable kitchen/brewery level although that does mean you need to haul from this level down to the dining hall (which should be in stone for the room wealth)
Soil 4: Depending on your playstyle you might want to keep this as a shroom farm. If not, this is probably stockpile fodder.
Soil 5: Usually a barracks for me. You might wish to put this up the top alternatively, it's just habitual playing that makes me put it here. If you put it at the top just move everything down one.

If you have more than 5 layers of soil then you just really need to accept that you won't have buildings on every Z-level :P

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »

I do, of course. I breached the sedimentary layers while building my dining room. I just don't like skipping levels.
  This isn't actually that much of a problem. As long as you have the manpower necessary, digging down 3-10 z-levels and reestablishing your forts actually has very little negative effect on things like hauling times. As an oppurtunity to streamline your fort design, it will probably just make things faster. Moving down a z-level only takes one step, less than even moving diagonally. You'll also find it worth it when you can smooth and engrave for massive damage value increases. Also, you can then make your fortress much more self-sufficient by changing your soil layers into massive mushroom farms, to the point where you can wall off to only to return to kill sieges and trap the overworld with magma pumps and serrated disks for personal amusement.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 07:38:05 pm »

Btw, its possible to get this problem with engraved / smooted tiles if you happen to have an "unfortunate accident" with your Water source.
It's a pitty since there's no way to clean up the mess.

You can clean up mud on carved floors if you build a constructed floor over it the remove the construction. I think this also gets rid of any engravings, though, so use at your own risk...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »

Building a paved road is easier.  Removes mud quickly and in large chunks.  Can also build tables, chairs, cabinets, etc.  Anything built will remove mud.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »

Here we are my friend, you won't need to skip anything:
Soil 1: I've usually used this layer as a carpentry level because I prefer surface trees, if you fish it could also be a fishery level. Anything that needs to be collected from the surface really
Soil 2: This should probably be your farming level assuming it's all soil (no intermittent rock deposits). Have a large area for plots
Soil 3: This can make a passable kitchen/brewery level although that does mean you need to haul from this level down to the dining hall (which should be in stone for the room wealth)
Soil 4: Depending on your playstyle you might want to keep this as a shroom farm. If not, this is probably stockpile fodder.
Soil 5: Usually a barracks for me. You might wish to put this up the top alternatively, it's just habitual playing that makes me put it here. If you put it at the top just move everything down one.

If you have more than 5 layers of soil then you just really need to accept that you won't have buildings on every Z-level :P

Awesome, i'll have to try this out sometime. Though i always have something on a Z-level, even when it means no access to any useful ore whatsoever.

This isn't actually that much of a problem. As long as you have the manpower necessary, digging down 3-10 z-levels and reestablishing your forts actually has very little negative effect on things like hauling times. As an oppurtunity to streamline your fort design, it will probably just make things faster. Moving down a z-level only takes one step, less than even moving diagonally. You'll also find it worth it when you can smooth and engrave for massive damage value increases. Also, you can then make your fortress much more self-sufficient by changing your soil layers into massive mushroom farms, to the point where you can wall off to only to return to kill sieges and trap the overworld with magma pumps and serrated disks for personal amusement.

No worries, it's not a matter of efficiency, it just annoys me having unused layers. Ruins the "work with what you got" type gameplay i love so much.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 08:13:57 pm »

You can clean up mud on carved floors if you build a constructed floor over it the remove the construction. I think this also gets rid of any engravings, though, so use at your own risk...
It will also destroy the engraving, which can make the engraver mad if it was masterwork.

Building a paved road is easier.  Removes mud quickly and in large chunks.
Same problem in this case.

Can also build tables, chairs, cabinets, etc.  Anything built will remove mud.
And this is the optimal way to remove mud - kennels clear 5x5 areas very quickly, most other workshops handle 3x3 areas nicely, and statues can clear most of the rest (some other types of furniture cannot be placed outdoors). Animal traps are the most versatile, as they can even be used to remove mud from ramps and stairs.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2