Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My first "large" fort.  (Read 2837 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My first "large" fort.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

*Looks up in the wiki*
There are rock-made pots!? I thought you could only make clay pots. And that they needed glazing, unless it was made from fire clay or kaolinite. My mind is blown.  :o

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »

Status Report:

DWARFS

I'm making a ton of wealth, and I'm making lots of food and booze, and starting a plant/cloth industry. Most of my wealth is from gem encrusted +crap+.
I have 3 masons/engravers (not sure how I got that migrant combination twice) and they're all highly skilled in both skills.
Sadly, only 2 miners. NO miner migrants yet.
Have a hospital with 2 doctors with beds, tables, a traction bench, and just made a bar of soap. >__>

FOOD/BOOZE

Breeding large amounts of dogs for bones and meat. Just added strawberries and fisher berries to my farming. I have a full time fisherdwarf.
I have a dedicated brewer and cook, but right now the cook butchers too.

DEFENCE

I have a weapon trap filled to the brim with copper trap implements, and the rest of my traps are stonefall traps. These all cover the one entrance hallway, with a dog chained in the middle of it to warn me of people.

Military: 15
-11 Melee Dorfs, mostly with copper weapons and shields. There's some iron, bronze, and steel around because of trading.
-4 Marksdwarfs Badly trained except for one, I have 2 dwarfs constantly cranking out bone bolts. I need to make another crossbow. Starting to make leather armor for them, to use up my hides.

UNDERGROUND

No magma found, all caverns were sealed off instantly upon breaching.

METAL

Copper, copper, and copper. I have flux, no use for it besides traded iron. Also, I recently stuck ...TETRAHEDRITE. >__>
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 04:42:32 pm »

Stonefall traps are basically worthless -- they might deter some enemies (especially wild animals) or soften something up, but they have no real stopping power.  a 10x trap component weapon trap is a godsend though, especially with serrated discs for dismembering goodness.  Cage traps are so effective that massing them might be considered an exploit by some (sort of like danger rooms)
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 05:07:39 pm »

Stonefall traps are basically worthless -- they might deter some enemies (especially wild animals) or soften something up, but they have no real stopping power.
I call them stone-fail traps, due to the rumors of them doing NOTHING to even rabbits.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:14 pm »

I don't do cage traps. Seems a bit cheap to me.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 05:11:31 pm »

Cage traps can be filled in a large siege, though.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 05:13:58 pm »

Stonefall traps are basically worthless -- they might deter some enemies (especially wild animals) or soften something up, but they have no real stopping power.
I call them stone-fail traps, due to the rumors of them doing NOTHING to even rabbits.

That bad?  I haven't bothered building them in ages, and just use a cage-based defense until my military is up to 10 or so with at least novice weapon skill.  I think back when I did use them, they clobbered a snatcher once.  Granted, that was TWENTY of them, and it may have been the dogs chained at the end that dealt with the goblin.

While massed cage traps really do trivialize matters, I absolve myself of using them for two reasons
1) use only light caging to soften up enemies and obtain PoWs for nefarious uses
2) Squads with a caged leader won't flee, and will in fact cluster around said leader.  this can be lots of ‼fun‼ when they don't walk into whatever other bloody hell you had prepared for them and have to send out the problem solvers.  double plus fun if it was a marksgoblin squad led by a melee guy and ONLY said melee gobbo got caged...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »

That bad?  I haven't bothered building them in ages, and just use a cage-based defense until my military is up to 10 or so with at least novice weapon skill.  I think back when I did use them, they clobbered a snatcher once.  Granted, that was TWENTY of them, and it may have been the dogs chained at the end that dealt with the goblin.

While massed cage traps really do trivialize matters, I absolve myself of using them for two reasons
1) use only light caging to soften up enemies and obtain PoWs for nefarious uses
2) Squads with a caged leader won't flee, and will in fact cluster around said leader.  this can be lots of ‼fun‼ when they don't walk into whatever other bloody hell you had prepared for them and have to send out the problem solvers.  double plus fun if it was a marksgoblin squad led by a melee guy and ONLY said melee gobbo got caged...
THAT would suck...

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 07:20:10 pm »

A goblin babysnatcher tried to sneak in, presumably to try and grab the babies right out of my militias arms, because apparently only soldiers can figure out how to breed.

He gets a couple bolts in the chest and falls over in pain. An axedwarf runs out and caves in his skull with a well placed blow.

The problem is that she would reveal an ambush of 7 goblin macemen.

Cue an epic brawl of death.
The unlucky axedwarf fights well, chopping a macemans foot clean off. Not content with that, she chops the lower leg completely off. Unfortunatly, the now one legged goblin shatters her arm, then caves in her skull with 2 mean blows.

My militia commander gets teamed up on by four goblins, shattering every bone in his arms AND legs, tearing out nerves, tendons, ligament, and opening arteries. He faints and wakes up 3 times, and deflects 4 blows to the head while lying down. Thankfully, my other dwarfs charge at the goblins attacking him from behind.

My dwarfs were PISSED at this wounding of the commander. One raging dwarf lodged his <<steel spear>> into a goblin and twisted it around in the wound, and proceeded to punch and kick until it fell unconsious. One goblin was tortured for 7 pages of blows until a hammerdwarf got tired and lodged her -iron warhammer- in his skull.

Our brave speardwarf that helped save the commander stabs goblins in various arms and legs until a mace slams on his foot so hard it fractures the bone through the armor and he passes out.

Right now my commander is still alive, and a legendary miner is rushing to take him to the hospital. The wounded speardwarf isn't in any danger, but he's going to the hospital too. No one else is hurt.

I'm putting together a tomb for my brave axedwarf. My engravers have began smoothing the floor of her tomb, and i've placed the coffin.

...I'm so proud of my military :'D

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 07:36:03 pm »

I like cages as a last ditch defense just past the barracks.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 07:45:09 pm »

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with stonefall traps again... I seem to recall in previous versions, they'd at least stop _something_. But after seeing it take 20 stonefall traps to stop one wandering capybara, that's just pathetic. Whereas a single weapon trap stuffed with random things bought off a caravan was able to stop a giant...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 10:07:36 pm »

'kay, guess there isn't much point to the topic anymore. Thanks for the help, guys, and telling me not to give up on this fort.

All the wounded dwarfs who went to the hospital left alive, my commander is back training even know he has trouble grasping and needs 6 splints. Also, i'm pretty sure he got infected.

My main problem right now is booze but I now have 2 guys making rock pots full time, and my underground tree farm has grown trees. Once I get even more migrants i'll throw in another rock pot maker. I've got this.

Also, just breached the magma sea! Time to melt down some stuff.

Well, thanks for the help, I might update this topic again if something hilarious/Fun happens.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 04:52:27 am »

But after seeing it take 20 stonefall traps to stop one wandering capybara, that's just pathetic.

Not sure that is much of an indication. Capybaras are the Chuck Norris of the rodent world.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94384.0
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 11:18:19 am »

...you can use pots to store food?

I DID NOT KNOW OF THIS.

Urgh earlier in this fort I was making chests out of wood before a dorf made a artifact coffer and I realized coffers = chests.

I'm playing DF for over a year now and I realised this just one or two weeks ago >.<
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 10:45:27 pm »

I've never had problems with lumber. I just have one woodcutter with everything else disabled and I have enough wood for everything. He would level up to legendary fairly quickly and tear through trees like paper. (Which I guess is actually always true) In my most recent fort, however, I ran into several veins of lignite and bituminous coal, so take this with a grain of salt.

Forge some copper battleaxes and put some of those idlers to work, assuming the problem is in not cutting enough trees, instead of not having enough trees. If you don't have enough trees, clear out an entire layer of dirt and breach the Caverns and you'll have plenty of mushroom trees soon enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3