Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel should be prioritised for the next release?

Only new features, please!
Give us an update to fix existing incomplete features while we wait for the new stuff
A mixture of some new features and fixed existing features

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dear Toady...  (Read 6790 times)

Luge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Toady...
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 07:09:14 am »

What are the original features?

How about actually wearing clothes instead of running around naked? I see one forum member posted today asking for help because his dwarves feet got Forgotten Beast blood on them, cause a disese where they explode from blood loss.

Is wearing clothes an advanced feature? No. Can you order your dwarves to put clothes on? No. Is it a pretty essential part of the game? Yes.

I cite this only as an example of something very simple but with far-reaching consequences. The forum has a space for suggestions for improvement, and I posted some improvements that I'd like to see. i.e. bugfixing. Why are you arguing against this?

L.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:48 am »

What are the original features?

How about actually wearing clothes instead of running around naked? I see one forum member posted today asking for help because his dwarves feet got Forgotten Beast blood on them, cause a disese where they explode from blood loss.

Is wearing clothes an advanced feature? No. Can you order your dwarves to put clothes on? Yes. Is it a pretty essential part of the game? Yes.

I cite this only as an example of something very simple but with far-reaching consequences. The forum has a space for suggestions for improvement, and I posted some improvements that I'd like to see. i.e. bugfixing. Why are you arguing against this?

L.

Ftfy. Try uniforms in the military. You can assign clothes there as well as armour and weapons.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 08:05:34 am »

What with miners, hunters and woodcutters?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 08:09:10 am »

They're the jobs you give to useless migrants.

Also, if you don't assign a weapon, they should keep doing their stuff, and I think you can make a hunter uniform anyway.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:41 am »

Legendary miners are not useless and pick counts as weapon what results in funny problems.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42:07 am »

They're the jobs you give to useless migrants.

I beg to differ, all my useful nobles are miners. Or masons. My miners and masons need to do something after digging out everyone's bedroom and blocking up impressive walls.

It's a time consuming pain as it is making and assigning uniforms to my military, I am sure not going to do it for my civilians. There comes a point when workarounds are questionable in the time it takes to do them and the quality of the result that is produced, and this one is tipped to the 'waste of time' side of the scale. I haven't ran into any problems with naked dwarves outside of the 'tatty clothes' thought, but eventually you realize the only thing you do with cloth is make bags with half of it and sew the rest on foreign sand bags. But after you have enough bags (and sand) they just sit in a stockpile showcasing your latest style of bins.

Yes, you can overfish. With two fisherman starting off as competent fishers, I'll drain most rivers in two years. If I'm lucky it'll last three. Ponds and other little bodies will hopefully last one year. I've given up fishing as a reliable source of food outside of oceans months ago, as right now it's a "OhcrapIforgotfoodeveryonefishquick!" fix. Fisherdwarves are down there with the plant gatherers, even further down since plants grow back.

The lack of DM takes out a very large portion of DF to those of us that ain't modding noth'in. Those tags can stay where they are (aren't) until I get my DM :p

Hauling isn't as much as a bug as it is waiting for bags being attached to horses. Right now horses are tasty, but if they could carry stuff less cooks would be making roasts out of them. That's a complicated issue though, what with dwarf A carrying two golden statues while dwarf B has two gneiss scepters. What the hell dwarf B, you can carry an armful of scepters! Dwarf A has a golden statue in each hand, and you only want to grab two scepters?

Elephant armies were killed with the addition of pastures. Of course, you can always do some changing to lessen how much they eat or make them not eat at all,  and since to get them tamed in the first place you have to change their tags.....I don't think this one is going to be 'fixed' any time soon on account of everyone has already fixed it.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Luge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2012, 11:01:24 am »

Elephant armies were killed with the addition of pastures. Of course, you can always do some changing to lessen how much they eat or make them not eat at all,  and since to get them tamed in the first place you have to change their tags.....I don't think this one is going to be 'fixed' any time soon on account of everyone has already fixed it.

A couple of people have re-introduced the topic of fetilizer and animal feed. This might be a way to solve the pasture issue for the large over-eaters. Big animals could be given food like injured dwarves can be given water.

L.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »

I always found clothes to be too much micromanaging. Plus, naked dwarfs make for excellent fear-factor in your enemies.
That's cute and all, but for the naked dwarf issue to still be around after all this time is really annoying. Look at all the steps that can be involved in tailoring pants: Plant and grow pig tail from seeds, harvest it and process it into thread, dye it at the dyers, weave it into cloth at the loom, sew it into pants at the clothier's, and to be extra fancy, sew a leather or cloth image into them. That's a lot of care to put into a process which is completely pointless if your dwarfs are going to run around bare-bottomed anyway. It just seems like such a big deal to me that I'm very surprised it still hasn't been addressed.

So a little reminder isn't a terrible idea.

Wearing clothes also helps protect against forgotten beast extract.
Pages: 1 2 [3]