Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knockbacks go through statues and floodgates  (Read 389 times)

PotatoEngineer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knockbacks go through statues and floodgates
« on: January 30, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

I found yet another way to lose dwarves: set up your barracks next to the chasm, and get some hammerdwarves.  When the hammerdwarves train, the occasional hit will knock their opponent back, and occasionally into the chasm.

I tried to fix this by building statues to close the holes in the barracks.  No dice, they still fell in.

So I built floodgates in front of the statues.  No dice, they still fell in.

(I haven't actually SEEN this happen---but only hammerdwarves are falling in, and my barracks has some walls open to the chasm.  And it hasn't happened since I moved my barracks to a different, non-chasm-touching room.)

Maximus noted on my wiki talk page that he's seen ratmen get knocked through raised drawbridges, too.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Knockbacks go through statues and floodgates
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Do they still go through raised drawbridges?  I looked at drawbridges before when people noticed natural floods went through them, so unless it's a recent observation it might be fixed.

Because statues don't obscure the view in adventure mode, they allow arrows to go through -- and this includes other projectiles, as large as flying dwarves.  It'll have to deal with this at some point.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knockbacks go through statues and floodgates
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

I'm not positive about the raised-drawbridges bit.  I flanked my chasm crossing with raised bridges, and I think I saw at least one ratman "disappear" during combat, but I have yet to lose a dwarf the same way.  So I'm not sure.

What I am sure of is that dwarves chasming items can chuck them on one of the raised bridge squares and the item will disappear.  This from is before the version with improved chasming-code.