Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to build a fort above the magma sea!  (Read 1803 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to build a fort above the magma sea!
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

So I want to build a fort above the magma sea, full of rocky islands of dwarf linked with bridges and such. I've dug down to the magma sea and determined where the top is. I was planning on channelling out basically 4-5 z levels above to create a big chasm. The problem is, channeling above magma spams me with job cancellations. I've turned off the auto pause as per the wiki, but is there a way of asking the dwarves to keep digging, warm stone or no?

Is there a more sensible way of achieving this goal, other than digging a huge cavern and putting up with cancellation spam?

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to build a fort above the magma sea!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:35 pm »

You might try digging a border around the area you want to be your magma cavern, then mine out above it to drop the plug into the magma sea. (Use supports, etc. I'm assuming you know how to do a controlled cave-in.) Less digging overall, and less digging/fewer cancellations on the warm stone level. You processor may not like you, depending on how big of a chunk you drop. I don't think magma from the magma sea displaces above cave-ins like it would if it weren't in the magma sea - you may want to carefully drop in a small section before you go nuts.

ETA: Also, I'm assuming that your "Islands" will actually be hanging from the ceiling, correct?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:15:11 pm by Blue_J »

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:14:04 pm »

Designate channels the z-level above where you want to empty out (in this case, two levels up from the magma sea). Then channel on the lower level to expose the magma.  This will leave two z-levels of open space over the magma though, If that's a problem, you can always re-construct a floor on that upper z-level.

Although, having all that exposed magma will probably cause its own problems.  Magma men, magma crabs, fire snakes....make sure you don't have anything flammable nearby.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:24:35 pm »

You might try digging a border around the area you want to be your magma cavern, then mine out above it to drop the plug into the magma sea. (Use supports, etc. I'm assuming you know how to do a controlled cave-in.) Less digging overall, and less digging/fewer cancellations on the warm stone level. You processor may not like you, depending on how big of a chunk you drop. I don't think magma from the magma sea displaces above cave-ins like it would if it weren't in the magma sea - you may want to carefully drop in a small section before you go nuts.

ETA: Also, I'm assuming that your "Islands" will actually be hanging from the ceiling, correct?

The 'islands' I was planning on having within the sea itself, jutting 2-3 levels above the sea.
I like the idea of carving and dropping an enormous chunk... I suppose we'll see how it goes. This will be the Mightiest cave in I have ever attempted!

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:54:02 pm »

You might want to search the forums or the wiki for the term "magma piston" first though.  Or not - it might be more Fun to find out for youself.   :P
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 10:01:59 pm »

Watch out for SMR when dropping things into the Great Magma Sea.  You might be unpleasantly surprised.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »

Building above the magma sea is easy. You should make the magma see a lot deeper and construct a fortress inside the magma sea. Cast obsidian would be the easiest route, but with enough space and screw pumps, you should be able to construct walls down there.

As for dropping constructions into the SMR, look up the dwarven piston pump.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 11:05:13 pm by Lagslayer »

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 07:00:30 am »

Building above the magma sea is easy. You should make the magma see a lot deeper and construct a fortress inside the magma sea. Cast obsidian would be the easiest route, but with enough space and screw pumps, you should be able to construct walls down there.

As for dropping constructions into the SMR, look up the dwarven piston pump.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I make the magma sea deeper?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 07:13:42 am »

You can only do it during world gen, unless you want to manually pump more magma in there yourself.
[Signature]

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

Hey
I made a fortress like that once, it was pretty neat especially after I  captured and tamed (with the help of some raw tweaking) magma crabs. Okay I only caught one magma crab and still needed a second for breeding if that was at all possible, but it was neat after a pet dog got a flying piece of basalt tearing it's brain.
Anyway, for the cancellation messages I use the dfhack reveal utility to discover the hot rock before its mined, however I should mention I gen my worlds without circus and I can imagine it might be a problem if you discovered it in the process.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:05 pm »

Is there a more sensible way of achieving this goal...

Are you a dwarf?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 05:40:22 pm »

Okay no, here's how you do it:

1. About ten Z levels above the first layer of magma, you make one gigantic room with a pillar in the center.
2. Once the pillar is built, you channel around the edges of the room until you hit the magma.
3. Clear the bottom level above the magma so the giant block of stone literally hangs above the magma pool from that one pillar.
4. Create several retracting bridges that lead to said block.
5. Build your fortress inside the block.
6. Construct a single lever and connect it to the pillar.
7. See how long you can go without pulling it.
8. ????
9. PROFIT
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

I have a good idea: colonize spoiler, including sealing off the map edges and driving the spoiler out, and build an entire fortress down there. Then, simply drain the magma sea into spoiler around you fort and live like that! Just make sure to have sealed access tunnels connecting all of your buildings in some way, or some unlucky dwarves may get stranded...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 07:22:45 pm »

I'm not sure how my computer would go coping with living in spoiler since I understand there are a lot of spoiler people just waiting to path to your buildings... continuously... 

I have increased the [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:] in the hopes of getting a deeper magma sea, and now I have to obsidianise a whole chunk of it and get to work!

Thanks for the help everyone :)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 11:13:55 pm »

Build fort like normal with channel around it, with one single support holding it up, down to the magma sea.  Spend years training your men to a steely edge, load them with top end gear....

Then one day, sound the alarm, tell everyone to get in their rooms and hold on, pull the lever,  and drop your fully armed and operational Dorf Fort into the sea.

Singing optional but recommended. (For some reason when I was thinking of this I kept humming "The Crimson Permanent Assurance")
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!