Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Food prioritization  (Read 2267 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food prioritization
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 05:48:19 pm »

You lost your thread to flame on, don't try to get other threads locked, UristMcHuman.
Bah, these people HONESTLY need to STOP posting about MURDERING CHILDREN. Sorry, I'm quite easy to anger IRL.

ON TOPIC: The food stocks of Dikefaith (an old fort of mine) are OVERFLOWING. Fish and prepared meals are the largest in the stocks, and the drinks are going up ever so slightly at about 60-somethin' finally.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:57:18 pm »

Who's murdering children?  I'm dealing with pixels here.  Little imaginary red smiley faces.

On topic: you can encourage dwarves to eat a food type by putting it closer to them.  When hungry, a dwarf first finds a piece of food, then finds a table.  If you put the food pile by your forge, then your furnace operators are more likely to eat from it.  If you put the food pile by the dining hall, then only the idle dwarves sitting in the dining hall will eat it.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09:11 pm »

Who's murdering children?
I meant in-game children. EVERYBODY IS!!! Maybe even YOU! Murderers...

On Topic: I JUST NOW started relocating Dike-Faith's population underground. I can't worry about that at this point.

Spacespinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 01:14:44 am »

On Topic: I JUST NOW started relocating Dike-Faith's population underground. I can't worry about that at this point.
I have to slaughter kittens in mass quantities to keep my framerate down. It's not my fault...
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 08:37:07 pm »

I have to slaughter kittens in mass quantities to keep my framerate down. It's not my fault...
Butchering cats is perfectly fine with me as long as the butchering is to keep FPS up. It's the gruesome acts done upon CHILDREN which bugs me.

Sorry if I'm de-railing the thread again.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 10:36:01 pm »

Purchased turtles yield no bones or shells.  You need to butcher an animal a baby to get bones for him.

Fix'd
Really fix'd.

Besides, you can't butcher sentients for meat/bones, let alone YOUR OWN CHILDREN. Children deserve a life, too, you idiot.

You have to wait for them to decay into baby skeletons, then you can butcher them IIRC. Also, he never said baby dwarf. Maybe he just wants to butcher baby puppies. Isn't that much better?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 10:38:42 pm »

Purchased turtles yield no bones or shells.  You need to butcher an animal a baby to get bones for him.

Fix'd
Really fix'd.

Besides, you can't butcher sentients for meat/bones, let alone YOUR OWN CHILDREN. Children deserve a life, too, you idiot.

You have to wait for them to decay into baby skeletons, then you can butcher them IIRC. Also, he never said baby dwarf. Maybe he just wants to butcher baby puppies. Isn't that much better?

Nope, if the corpse couldn't be butchered, the skeleton can't be butchered either.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 10:39:00 pm »

True in 40d, not true anymore.  Sentient parts can only be butchered if detached from the upper body, so an axelord severing arms will generate goblin meat.  However, your own civ is always buried, as the burial task takes priority over butchering.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 07:39:56 am »

Fix'd
Really fix'd.

I care not. Puppies can be saved to be trained for war/hunting, and if food requirements are dire, the adults drop much more meat/bones.

'Baby' refers to d0rfen babies. 'Puppy' refers to young dog, 'lamb' to young sheep, etc. So whenever the word 'baby' is used in a butchering post, I ALWAYS think it means the babies of your fort's population.

OK, people, let's forget about this and bring this thread back on the rails. Methinks we've gone TOO FAR with this.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 10:20:05 am »

Has anybody else found that parts will rot down eventually, even underground? I've had FB parts vanish after a while in the refuse stockpile (I'm talking feather and chitin, not bones or other useable things). If this happens to shells as well, it may be better to keep the turtles raw until they're ready for processing. As far as I know, raw turtles will keep forever.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 01:36:33 pm »

Shell, like bone, lasts in stockpiles for years so no worries. Shells are susceptible to being eaten by vermin like bones though so watch out for that.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:38:28 pm by Ubiq »
Pages: 1 [2]