Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Food prioritization  (Read 2269 times)

itisme

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy who is not the guy who is the guy.........
    • View Profile
Food prioritization
« on: October 06, 2011, 06:57:55 pm »

Hello interwebs,
       One of my minions was recently possesed(my luck). He needs bones, and I just bought an insanely large amount of turtles from the dwarven caravan. Unfortunately I also have an absurd amount of shrooms. Is there any way to prioritize one kind of food over another so i can get at the turtle bones? Or should I wall off my craftsdwarf bench now?
To steal from one is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Food prioritization
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:07 pm »

Purchased turtles yield no bones or shells.  You need to butcher an animal to get bones for him.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

itisme

• Bay Watcher
  • The guy who is not the guy who is the guy.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 08:01:46 pm »

Derp, three mildly sucsessful fortrases and never got into the meat industry. Anyway he went beserk and I killed him. I still want the shells for crafts. Anyone know how?
To steal from one is plagiarism, to steal from many is research.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:16:44 pm »

Set up a (relatively) safe place to fish in a cavern, SHOULD get you turtles I think.  You can easily dig out an area, set up a grate and floodgate, then dig the last square to let cavern water fill it, and set up a well over the water for fishing.  Re-activate the floodgate when it's full as extra measure against creatures getting in-- though perhaps a bridge might be better than a floodgate if you're afraid of forgotten beasts or other building destroyers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 08:18:30 pm by Melissia »
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:20:18 pm »

I think turtles and mussels (which also give shells) only occur in surface bodies of water.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:36:31 pm »

Also as I recall, since he asked for shells your embark does have turtles or mussels. Toady modded the game so they won't request shells unless you actually have a way to get them.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:18:24 pm »

Also as I recall, since he asked for shells your embark does have turtles or mussels. Toady modded the game so they won't request shells unless you actually have a way to get them.
This would be nice if it were true, but I have seen no evidence that this is the case.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:39:22 pm »

This would be nice if it were true, but I have seen no evidence that this is the case.
This is just something I recall hearing sometime. Since before, they could mean an certain fail because you can't trade for shells and they come prepared, so you don't get a shell from them anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:53:18 pm »

Mooders only seem to request shells if they like shells.  They're no longer randomly chosen as a material, but can be specifically chosen if that dwarf has them in thoughts and preferences.

Also: When you fish, and get a turtle/mussel, then send it to the fishery, it produces a "prepared turtle" and "turtle shell" and the meat can then be eaten.  You don't need to eat a raw turtle to produce a shell.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:30 am »

Hello interwebs,
       One of my minions was recently possesed(my luck). He needs bones, and I just bought an insanely large amount of turtles from the dwarven caravan. Unfortunately I also have an absurd amount of shrooms. Is there any way to prioritize one kind of food over another so i can get at the turtle bones? Or should I wall off my craftsdwarf bench now?

Even though it doesn't really apply in this situation, here's how to make them eat turtles.

z->stocks->mass forbid.

Just forbid all other foods until such time as a few turtles have been eaten.  Remember to unforbid afterwards, or FUN will ensue!

Alternately, make a separate stockpile for just turtles (and other shelled foods) somewhere else, make a take-from order, wait for some turtles to be moved, and then lock the door to your food stockpile until turtles are eaten.  Again, remember to unlock the door afterward!

However, I've found that the easiest way is to make a fishery and refuse stockpile (that only accepts shells, bones, ect) early on, and another refuse stockpile above ground for the other refuse.  Heck, I usually do this before I even have my farms up and running!  The fisherdwarves will catch tons of turtles while you're getting your initial fort dug out, and you'll have very little food variety while this is happening, which means dwarves will eat turtles, and the dwarves will save the shells.

But, as mentioned, bones aren't shells.  Mark a cat for butchering.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »

This is just something I recall hearing sometime. Since before, they could mean an certain fail because you can't trade for shells and they come prepared, so you don't get a shell from them anyway.
History lesson: used to be that shell moods were seen as certain fail because fishing was bugged and there was nothing to catch (hence, no turtles or mussels and thus no shells). Toady solved this eventually but before that he changed moods so they'd only demand shells if they specifically like them in their preferences. A much needed change given shell moods were made in the 40d and earlier days when shells were so much more easier to get.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 01:22:17 pm »

Aquifers are also useful for creating safe fishing zones as you can channel out an area for the fisherdwarf to use. You can fish in the cavern, but, barring mods, there are no useful vermin fish for moods since cave lobster shell doesn't count for moods anymore.

Far as collecting bones go, one useful method is to place weapon traps with of edged weapons in the region where large animals migrate on and off screen. These guarantees lots of individual bones rather than large stacks of them, which are more useful for Strange Moods. A stack of fifty to seventy elephant bones from an intact corpse is the same as a single wolf bone from a lopped off leg where Moods are concerned and Strange Moods occasionally require multiple bone items. A dwarf won't just go in and grab a bone from that stack of seventy, but will take them all and still need more bones to complete their artifact.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

Purchased turtles yield no bones or shells.  You need to butcher an animal a baby to get bones for him.

Fix'd
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »

Purchased turtles yield no bones or shells.  You need to butcher an animal a baby to get bones for him.

Fix'd
Really fix'd.

Besides, you can't butcher sentients for meat/bones, let alone YOUR OWN CHILDREN. Children deserve a life, too, you idiot.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

You lost your thread to flame on, don't try to get other threads locked, UristMcHuman.
Pages: [1] 2