Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Favorite material  (Read 3037 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite material
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 07:38:52 am »

For the above ground part of my fort I prefer granit or gneiss. Underground, I'm ok with anything that isn't microcline.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 08:06:52 am »

Porcelain, an entire fortress made out of porcelain. Porcelain floors, porcelain pots, porcelain battlements, anything and everything possible out of porcelain.
I mean, what's more dwarfy then mining out a rare type of stone, working it with magma and turning it into blocks and using that to pave over the entire fortress.
If it's in the embark it's usually abundant enough to pull something off like that to, and the architectural value will be through the roof.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 08:16:48 am »

Quite partial to building things from granite exclusively when I have the chance to. With silver furniture for contrast.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 09:05:21 am »

Porcelain, an entire fortress made out of porcelain. Porcelain floors, porcelain pots, porcelain battlements, anything and everything possible out of porcelain.

No thrones, alas. And regarding nethercaps... sadly, I found no really useful application yet apart from them being magma safe. Do nethercap shields have any particular benefits when fighting hot stuff?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:34 am »

I like kaolinite for the flexibility.  A nice red if you use it directly, and it will disguise bloodstains.  Kiln it and you get white porcelain.  Good value, food storage, and can be used for decoration.

Just found olivine for the first time.  Need to see how it looks when used for walls and stone furniture.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 10:14:54 am »

Pretty much all do except the orthoclase. I hate its bright yellow color... All the gray and dark gray stones are nice, as are kaolinite, kimberlite, bronze and copper, black bronze etc.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 10:17:03 am »

Stone: Olivine
Metal: Iron
Wood: Nethercap

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 10:25:32 am »

ASCIt likes pitchblende for its royal coloring, rose gold for its royal coloring, and glumprong for its royal coloring.

I tend to make nobles' rooms entirely purple when I get the chance.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

I mean, what's more dwarfy then mining out a rare type of stone, working it with magma and turning it into blocks and using that to pave over the entire fortress.
If it's in the embark it's usually abundant enough to pull something off like that to, and the architectural value will be through the roof.
I guess there's teatime all over the place. Imagine the rage when the trolls and elephants come for the tea party: "Ooops, dat youse china plate I puts my club on it?"
I wonder: Is porcelain a dwarfess thing or do the rough boys like it also? It certainly is craftsmanship.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 11:06:08 am »

Wait a second!  We've got three pages and we're still on topic. WHAT'S HAPPENING??????!!!!!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 02:36:54 pm »

Wait a second!  We've got three pages and we're still on topic. WHAT'S HAPPENING??????!!!!!

Frankly surprised that no one came in and made magma or large serrated disks their favorite material, regardless of if or if not they are actually materials.

Edit: just started a new world and fort because my old setup was all cluttery and I felt guilty about using danger rooms. I channel out most of a moat, and guess what I find? OLIVINE! It is also nice looking but is actually magmaproof!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:40:01 pm by JDF117 »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 02:42:49 pm »

I would have to say Dolomite. It's plentiful, it doesn't hurt my eyes too much, and it's magmaproof. Also, there is a small injoke between my friends about the name. When it comes to metal, steel all the way for weapons and armour, but iron rules supreme when it comes to furniture. I tend to make an iron throne and rename all my leaders to "Eddard" and "Robert".
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »

Glass. So many things can be made from beautiful glass. Pumps, chairs, tables, blocks, floors, highways, traps. Oh yes....my lovely green glass spiked ball traps. They don't have to kill anything. They just have to make them dodge, bwhahaha. And cages. Nothing like taking a goblin in a glass terrarium, setting to aquarium and watch as your dwarves fill it up with water. I waterboard goblins that piss me off.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 04:32:58 pm »

I like microcline when it's used with more microcline.  An addy-tipped microcline obelisk is just showing off.  It's a bit bright but I have young, strong eyes which makes it a good bright.  I mark it as economic and remove the mark when building Microcline constructions.

Some day, I'll build a hideous monument out of spider-webbed Pitchblende/Rutile and either Garnierite if I can spare it or Olivine/Serpentine if I can't... because nothing says "radioactive hellscape" than interwoven veins of purple and green.

Nether-cap is also pretty awesome

But my favorite material to work with of all is probably... gabbro, granite, shale, or whatever other random gray stone I have on hand.  Obsidian if I can manage to get lots of it early enough for primary construction.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 04:56:38 pm »

Green glass is good for constructions, and cheap (or free!) to make For stone, I appreciate serpentine and marble for furniture, and brighter metals for constructions (gold and silver!)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4