Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Favorite material  (Read 3036 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Favorite material
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:35 pm »

Nethercap.
At first I read nethercarp...

Also, my favorite is definitely marble. Once I created massive catacombs out of engraved marble. It had nearly a thousand marble coffins.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »

Talking about Nethercap : Will a nethercap barrel filt with liquids actually freeze ?

I do have a couple of nethercap beds but I'm kinda dissapointed that the dwarves that sleep in them can actually stand up again and walk around he he he...

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

Talking about Nethercap : Will a nethercap barrel filt with liquids actually freeze ?

I do have a couple of nethercap beds but I'm kinda dissapointed that the dwarves that sleep in them can actually stand up again and walk around he he he...

No, liquids in Nether-cap barrels will not freeze.
And microcline is my favorite rock type as well. It's common, it's blue, and it's awesome. And besides, it looks like adamantine, so I can think that my fort is rich even if it's dirt-poor.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 10:25:02 pm »

I prefer obsidian. Smooth, glossy, black, and magma-safe.

Or nether-cap. Blue, cold, and also magma-safe.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 10:25:41 pm »

Slate. Good, dependable, everywhere.
After that, iron. brass and Copper are shiny, but nothing says "serious" like iron everywhere.  Microcline I used to hate, but I've been using it more, like in the giant neon "OPEN" sign I'm constructing over my trapped entrance.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:27:07 pm »

I like black bronze. It's intimidating and strikes fear into the hearts of the dregs who work under those statues.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:31 pm »

Rose gold for its odd color. Cobaltite because the blue coloring is easy on the eyes. And bismuth bronze for its rarity and wide spectrum use.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »

If I actually gave thought to it, marble. I imagine my fortress made of marble as something similar to ancient Greece, with amazing statues and pillars and the likes.  :P
Fun Fact: a lot of that stuff was originally painted with bright colors, but has since flaked off. The solution is to coat it all with colorful substances, like vomit, blood, extract, pus, etc..

Also use bronze, because they liked that.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 11:56:26 pm »

I like two-toned layouts. I'm currently enjoying building with clear glass walls and floors, with steel details (stairs, doors)

cdrcjsn

• Bay Watcher
  • My name is Cedric
    • View Profile
    • Familiar Ground, fantasy comedy from a familiar point of view.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:13 am »

I detest Cobaltite.  Too many false positives with regards to metal availability on embarks...

Kaolinite though is perhaps my favorite.  A nice red color to hide all the blood. 

It's also magma safe (I like to use use it on levers that deal with magma as a reminder). 

And apparently it can also be used for ceramics?  News to me though.  I rarely bother with anything to do with kilns.
Check out my comic!
http://www.familiar-ground.com
Fantasy Comedy.  Familiar Point of View.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 03:40:57 am »

I love cobaltite. Especially with marble or quartzite. My current glacier-fort has giant aboveground tower built from cobaltite and ice. Blue-white is best color-mix on this game.
... maybe because Finland's flags colours are blue and white...

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 03:45:29 am »

Or any stone that comes out brown, like wood.
*cancels task: reading forums, gone insane*

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 04:32:18 am »

Slate. Good, dependable, everywhere.
After that, iron. brass and Copper are shiny, but nothing says "serious" like iron everywhere.  Microcline I used to hate, but I've been using it more, like in the giant neon "OPEN" sign I'm constructing over my trapped entrance.

If you want the neon effect you should get gem windows.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:13 am »

If you want the neon effect you should get gem windows.
I recall a thread where someone was trying to arrange gem windows to create a dwarven television. It was discovered that after you select the gems to put in the window, the list is arranged in order of what was cut first. Knowing this, you could cut the gems in a very specific order, then make a window out of them and have it flash the colors in the order you want.

Can anyone dig up the thread?

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 05:57:56 am »

For stones obsidian all the way.
For metals platinum I will import it by the dozens if need be.

I also made one floor out of platinum block walls and floors just for kicks once.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4