Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: TV (or any other media) Universes You Would and Wouldn’t Want to Live In  (Read 4476 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: TV (or any other media) Universes You Would and Wouldn’t Want to Live In
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2011, 02:59:24 am »

Would: I'm not too sure, MLP:FiM universe perhaps?

Wouldn't:Dwarf Fortress, Minecraft, FFXIII, Fallout 3, Homestuck.
Nobody would like to live in a universe where you can die just as soon as you migrate, right? I don't think I can also handle a world with creepers, cubes and archer skeletons too, and I certainly don't like living in the Capital Wasteland either, as they lack a source of fresh water, and there's absolutely no source edible plants there too. Lastly, I don't think I can handle a world where you're transported into a video game to escape impending doom.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2011, 04:36:37 am »

Would:

- Pokemonverse. So hard.
- Slayersverse. Avoid gastronomical careers and all will be fine. It's a medieval universe all right but with loads of anachronisms and it's hilarious.

Wouldn't:

- Nausicaäverse: You can't even go around most of the world without wearing gasmask thingies, wars happen and you have a very real chance of getting trampled by a giant bug. As long as I don't get a glider, no thanks.
- Gensokyo: Odds are, you get eaten even before you reach safety. Then you basically can only stay in the village until you can defend yourself. This might take a while. Instant would if you survive that far.
- Advance Wars verse: As a foot soldier, your life means nothing. And the commanders are most likely psychos too. In Days of Ruin, these points do not apply if you are on the good side, but you have a very real change to be killed by a virus that makes flowers grow from your body. Ewwwwww.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:15 am »

I would absolutely live in the Pokemon world. That would be fantastical.

Places not to live: Arda, Pern, The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701), Harry Potter Britain, Faerun, Greyhawk, Frostburn, Eberron, Azeroth, and the settings of most games that have interesting plots.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:06 am »

One place I definitely wouldn't want to live: SS13. Living in paranoid fear that any second you could be backstabbed by absolutely anyone is not the way to live.
Nothing important here, move along.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 09:30:35 am »

Star Trek. 'Nuff said.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 09:36:16 am »

I'm not sure I'd want to live in any.  Generally a TV universe would be a lot more fun to watch than to actually live in.  For instance, a character within a comedy TV show wouldn't actually experience much humour at all (the audience is generally laughing at them or their situation).

...That said, I'd still love to live in Discworld.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 09:44:38 am »

I would so live in the Artemis Fowl universe. Or, like Leafsnail, the Discworld.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 11:35:54 am »

Having a hard time thinking of one that I would feel comfortable living in, really.

Most of the cartoons I watch are funny or interesting, but would be difficult for me to live in comfortably.  Adventure Time, or Regular Show for example.  And while My Little Pony is fun to watch, I want to keep my hands, thank you.  It would be difficult to type with hooves, and I live on computers.

Warhammer 40K is definitely the first thing I thought of when I was wondering where I wouldn't want to be.  It's pretty much the definition of the universe.

Now, I wouldn't mind visiting some of these universes for a little while, but I wouldn't want to stay.  It might be cool to stroll through the streets of a world like Macragge from WH40K for a little while, but even taking a tour of an Imperial star ship would probably be riskier than I'd be willing to put up with.  Being in the Sonic universe for a little while might be cool too, but only for a little while.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 11:55:35 am »

I'd head to the Digital World (Digimon) in a heartbeat. Pokémon would be pretty good too.
Pretty much anything with the prospect of friendly giant deadly monsters really.

(Except perhaps Telefang, which is like what Pokémon would be if the monsters could talk, had cell phones and texted you every 15 minutes to whine about how you never call them...)

Edit: It's occured to me that my favourite Pokémon (Scyther) would probably be pretty damn terrifying in person.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »

Hmmm.  Time to put some more thought in this.

Series that take place in effectively the real world I don't count unless there's something extra special about them so that strange events happen or just generally the types of characters themselves.

Well let's the obvious out of the way first.

Ace Attorney would be pretty cool.  As long as you're not being the one murdered having to solve absolutely insane cases or in a twist...having to cover yourself up as the murderer.  Man, that's a good idea.  They should make a backwards Ace Attorney game that involves you being the murderer or whatever and you have the escape the clutches of the court.  I think the main problem would be open-ended-ness though so oh well.
When They Cry would be torturous and dangerous but also sounds pretty exciting.  There's not too many settings yet (like two) but I'm sure there will be more.  Deadly but thrilling?
The Nasuverse would be just death.  I'd want to go but I'd probably die within a day or two.  It's just too dangerous.  Oh well.
Pokemon would be relaxing.  If I wanted to relax somewhere it's Pokemon.  It's not even to be a Pokemon master I just like that nobody there will murder me.
Dexter would be too normal so nay on that.  Detective Conan would also be too normal for my liking, and also possibly death!  Being a detective wouldn't be fun either because KONAN-KUN would just solve everything.
Neon Genesis Evangelion would be a bit scary.  If I wasn't a mecha pilot I would crap my pants in a shelter and if I was a pilot I would crap my pants in the cockpit.  There's no alternative.  I'd be mind raped and killed faster than you can say TANG.
Raildex-verse would be fun.  It's a pretty normal life usually but there's magicians and espers everwhere.  I could be like, telepahtic or something hopefully and see crazy shit happening too without myself dying.
Haruhi Suzumiya would be interesting a fair bit.  Although I can imagine a lot of days being completely ordinary too.
Heir Trilogy would be okay I guess.  Kind of magical and stuff but otherwise nah.
Warrior Cats or whatever the hell would be a no.  I don't want to be a cat and being a person wouldn't be anything either.
Kaiji, Code Geass, Death Note, Liar Game are all good fun and all but I'd want a break every once in a while.  If I really was a person there with one life then no no no I'd break for real.

I can't really see that many being too too notable.  There's a lot of fictional universes out there and most of what I've seen if fairly small barring a few exceptions.  I'd prefer to see more of it before handing my opinion out.  Any fantasy epic setting is out too because I don't want that and there wouldn't be any computers usually.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »

Where I wouldn't want to live in media universes? Oh that's obvious.

Jersey shore.

Sure you'd be the smartest person around, but i'd probably commit suicide within the hour.

Alternatively, the glee universe. Sheerly because of my principle of "Anything that shits on good songs is usually terribad and should be avoided at all costs".
Blargh.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 02:29:35 pm »

HellMOO. It sounds like a distinctly shitty place.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 04:05:03 pm »

When They Cry would be torturous and dangerous but also sounds pretty exciting.  There's not too many settings yet (like two) but I'm sure there will be more.  Deadly but thrilling?
Curiously, I have also found myself thinking that Hinamizawa would be an absolutely marvelous place to live.

Although that's still a broad statement since there are a lot of Hinamizawas.

I have also decided to change the text beneath my avatar to fit this line of thought.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 04:20:58 pm »

So many yeses:
Enders Game universe
Any Fire Emblem universe
The Scrubs hospital
Adventure Time universe

Endless nos:
Mount & Blade universe
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

There's too many to mention for universes I would want to live in.  Too too much.  I would just want them all together.
Ugh, been more distracted than I expected to be.

Anyway, delay aside, I had this thought in mind. Instead of a single 'verse, I would prefer a mix of universes. One that brewed in mind for a good while before things got interesting was a mix of Star Wars, Star Trek, Dune, Farscape, and Lexx. Toss in a few Final Fantasy elements/franchises here and there, a drop of Doom, an iota of Quake, Some Unreal (Tournament) and we've got ourselves a crazy melting pot of a universe. Of course, there would be drop of Cowboy bebop and Firefly mixed in to balance out a few things and make things a tad more laid back.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5