Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: TV (or any other media) Universes You Would and Wouldn’t Want to Live In  (Read 4477 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: TV (or any other media) Universes You Would and Wouldn’t Want to Live In
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 08:03:24 pm »

I'm surprised there hasn't been a mention of Discworld yet, as it seems like it would fit into both best and worst at the same time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »

Oh god definitely not A Song of Ice and Fire, I'd get mowed down by a passing knight so fast.
-Or The Back Company, eek
-The Twilight Reign

Places I would live:
-The Wheel of Time (But not the Borderlands, maybe Seanchan, they seem to have a fairly stable land, just not in one of the rebellions)
-Star Wars almost always seems pretty decent
-Drawing a blank now
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »

-The Wheel of Time (But not the Borderlands, maybe Seanchan, they seem to have a fairly stable land, just not in one of the rebellions)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for me, I'd probably rather not live in the Westlands, due to the constant war, in Seanchan, for previously stated reasons, in the Waste, for obvious reasons, or in Shara, because I have no idea what it is like. Or pretty much anywhere on that planet, seeing as how they're all doomed to suffer for eternity unless al'Thor somehow manages to make his plan work.  ;)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »

I don't think you can really argue with the Culture.

As a place you really don't want to live, the Laundryverse (TV Tropes warning). When you aren't being stalked by the many angled ones from the bottom of the Mandelbrot set, escaping from their cultists, stuck on an airless earth where the Nazis won or in a graveyard where all the interred just turned out for lunch... your day job is as a civil service network technician and IT gofer, dealing with human resources and the ever present threat of Microsoft sponsored software audits.

Just to make the level of suck clear, this is a universe where mathematics and magic are one and the same. Where the right computation can summon unspeakable horrors or, worse, one of the True Gods. Oculists who worship such beings are somewhat less dangerous than the mathematicians and CS majors who want to explore the theory.

Then realise that MMOs exist...

Also that human brains are computation devices. And there are lots of them around. All CCTV cameras have been set up to instantly turn anyone in their view into stone as a safety precaution ahead of CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN, mostly just in hope of reducing the population enough to avoid the worst of things. A nuclear war was considered, but such mass death would be just as attractive to certain classes of being.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:07 pm »

*sigh*

I suppose if nobody else has suggested Dwarf Fortress yet I might as well do it if only to save someone else the trouble.

It's kind of obligatory, and we might as well get it out the way sooner rather than later.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »

... Dibs on Laundryverse :D

Babylon 5 seems okay-ish.  I wouldn't mind being in Metal Gear World if I got to be a tech advisor or something >_> <_<

Actually, most of all, and I hate myself for saying this: Dragonball, One Piece, or Mushishi.  Those are the universes I'd probably like most to live in.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »

Would: Nausicaa, Pokemon, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, anything by Hunter S. Thompson.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 10:29:50 pm »

There's too many to mention for universes I would want to live in.  Too too much.  I would just want them all together.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 11:01:59 pm »

Several people have suggested a "would want to live in" several fantasy settings. I can't help but wonder: why would you want to do that?. It's kind of like wanting to live in Europe's Dark ages, except there is a real end of the world (or at least armaggeddonish war) looming around the corner, instead of just paranoid milleniarism.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 11:05:48 pm »

... or Mushishi.  Those are the universes I'd probably like most to live in.
Seconding Mushishi. Everything's so pretty there! Sure, there's a danger of getting infected by mysterious ghost bug things, but at least your tragedy has high production values!
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:28 pm »

I'll add Kino's Journey to my list, too.  And FFIX.

For me, at least, I prefer the magitech situation.

... or Mushishi.  Those are the universes I'd probably like most to live in.
Seconding Mushishi. Everything's so pretty there! Sure, there's a danger of getting infected by mysterious ghost bug things, but at least your tragedy has high production values!

Exactly.  I almost put Mononoke on the list for sheer amazing, but... uh... =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:01 pm »

Firefly would be nice to live in.  Odds are you are in the core and things are about the same as living in the western world today.  Except you can go on a spaceship for your vacations.  'Nuff said.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2011, 12:43:00 am »

Would: Star Trek, FiM Ponyverse
Star Trek isn't too bad for the civilians, if you're not in Starfleet you're relatively safe. And even if you're in it, you know the risks anyway. Just try to avoid being a generic security grunt and avoid away missions like the plague.
Ponyverse is just candy and happiness all over the place. Pretty sure every brony would leap through a portal to the plane of ponies.

Wouldn't: Dwarf Fortress, Doctor Who
Pretty much for the same reasons. More often than not there's something about to or is already in the process of killing you in some horrific way that you'll never come back from. Or is converting you into some twisted, malevolent (or metallic) form. And nobody is safe. Let's put it this way, the bodycount in both exceeds comfortable levels without diving into too many spoilers on the latter.

Whole bunch of others that I would/wouldn't want to live in.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 12:59:19 am »

Would definitely want to live in the Star Trek Universe.

Earth is pretty much Paradise, Starfleet is a Volunteer force and are pretty good at keeping threats away from the homeworlds.  Though admittedly if you use a replicator your basically eating reclaimed waste, and using a Transporter is pretty much being killed and a new person being formed with your atoms.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 01:15:14 am »

Well, transporters aren't so bad after you watch a few episodes involving them. That one Barclay episode showing him essentially conscious in the transporter stream kind of alleviates fears a little. It's probably more like being killed and your conscious mind being placed back into a replica of yourself formed from your atoms.

But, that kind of debate goes into the long-dead transporter thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5