Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New !!SCIENCE!! research Information  (Read 7245 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
New !!SCIENCE!! research Information
« on: October 06, 2011, 05:03:23 pm »

So I've been reworking my old mod and I keep running into new questions that nobody knows the answers to, so I figured I would create a new thread where I could share my results with the modding community at large. If anybody else wants to "publish" any research that they do in this thread feel free to go ahead and do it. This could even be verifying something that was believed to be true but isn't known totally.

Note that often papers from earlier game versions can still apply to more current versions.

!!SCIENCE!! Papers (31.X)
Plants: Growth Times and Seasonal Growth
Material Values and Negative Numbers
Negative Weights and their Effect on Hauling
[IMMOBILE_LAND]: Function and Limitations
Syndromes: Time, Effects, and Tokens
Dwarven Consciousness and its Effect on Breeding

!!SCIENCE!! Papers (34.X)
Using the [NERVOUS] Token to Simulate RL Limbs
Speed Changes through Syndromes
Egg Hatching Times
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:29:40 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New !!SCIENCE!! research Information
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:44:31 pm »

Plant !!SCIENCE!! Results
1)First of all I'd like to point out that GrowDur:1008 = 1 season, not sure if everyone knew that already or not

2)Farmers will plant crops up to the very last moment, however any crops that are still growing when their growth season ends will disappear. This means that if you have a plant that grows Spring-Autumn but not winter farmers will keep planting until the last day of Autumn, resulting in the loss of any seeds still growing when winter hits. As a side effect I suggest growing plants with their last season disabled in vanilla in order to not lose seeds if you are short on seed supplies.

3)Plants can have a GrowDur that is immensely long, well over several years. As long as those plants have all seasons set to active then they will simply grow for the given duration before finally being picked after however long.

4)Plants are now able to be planted and grow across the Winter-Spring boundary. This is a good thing because at least in 40d once a plant no longer had time to grow before the end of the year it would act like it was near the end of it's growing seasons so the name would be reddened and it would no longer be planted. This then resulted in plants that could grow in Winter+Spring but not Summer or Autumn and that had a GrowDur:1008 or higher being unable to be planted.

[MATERIAL_VALUE:X] token !!SCIENCE!!
1) I learned that the [MATERIAL_VALUE:X] token can be made negative by adding a "-" in front of the entry. This results in something that you are paid to take but must pay others to sell it to them. I personally am going to use this by creating a weed that grows immensely fast and is completely useless, that then has a negative value so traders will pay you to dispose of it and you have to pay them to take it.

Coincidentally well I was testing this out I learned that the embark screen points are stored with a signed 32-bit integer, resulting in rollovers if you ever have more points then 2147483647 or less points then -2147483647.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:21:04 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vyznev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 07:36:10 am »

1) I learned that the [MATERIAL_VALUE:X] token can be made negative by adding a "-" in front of the entry.

Wait, the parser understands negative values?!  I so have to try that on syndrome severities...
Climbing is a strength-based skill. Elephants are very strong. Why are you surprised?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:11:09 am »

Nice finds. I never thought the parser could read negative values. The whole season duration thing must've been a pain to find out.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:06 am »

1) I learned that the [MATERIAL_VALUE:X] token can be made negative by adding a "-" in front of the entry.

Wait, the parser understands negative values?!  I so have to try that on syndrome severities...
Reverse oozing time?  :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 09:57:48 am »

Would negative syndromes do such things as make an internal bleeding token cause a dwarf to gradually gain blood until they explode?

Hmmm... long-duration crops sound interesting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:21:29 am »

Would negative syndromes do such things as make an internal bleeding token cause a dwarf to gradually gain blood until they explode?

Hmmm... long-duration crops sound interesting.
well I guess they would keep getting blood until it loops back around to no blood and they die from blood lost.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 06:09:45 pm »

Urist McNurse: "Doctor, this Marksdwarf is suffering from heavy bleeding!"
Urist McDoctor: "Just dump him in that pool of FB blood over there and let him squirm around it in for a bit"
U. McNurse: "Are you sure, that doesn't seem..."
U.McDoctor: "Just do it and fetch me a Cat Tallow biscuit."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:05 pm »

Negative weight/density?
Negative size?
Other negative material properties?

There is science to be done...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »

Makes me wonder if we could make materials that can't be hit by reversing the values, like shear yield, density and etc.

I'll probably do some !!SCIENCE!! later.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 10:17:06 pm »

I did some ‼SCIENCE‼ With slade a little while ago and SPEED:1 dwarfs with addy armor and a slade Battle axe. Basicly i attacked a hydra with it and turns out that it was preety usefull as I landed a blow to the head, took it right off lol, and i also got a shot on one of its legs, And HOLY CRAP did it bleed, after losing a head and takeing a blow to the leg that prob left it hanging by a thread or so. And the thing nearly died from blood lose lol, the leg wound prob bleed more than the severed head XD. Maby df mountes gravity with the bleeding? Like proving that the sizes are the same for all the pieces on the way maby a STANCE part will bleed more than a GRASP part, proving that the upper arms and legs have the same size and same for the lower arms and legs, and the same for the parts with STANCE and GRASP. And to see if it is the STANCE or GRASP is really doing it we can do the same but removing the next part closer to the body and cheack the bleeding rate, also to remove varables make sure that the creature is sleeping(via self syndrom) to ensure direct hits and instent severs, also remove any tokens that modify the bleeding rate like arteys. You know what. Im gona do some ‼SCIENCE‼ right now on the subject.
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 11:00:19 pm »

Ok finaly got everything set up and its finaly time for ‼SCIENCE‼ now!

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 11:16:39 pm »

Ok after the first round of tests I had 4 test subjects, 2 of which I severed hands first one at a time and 2 I severed feet first one at a time and then lower arms for the hands and lower legs for the feet and so on. All the wounds were bleed at about the same rate with later wounds bleeding less and stoped bleeding faster due too the lower blood pressure.(really like that mechanice makes my scorpion I made almost unkillable trought blood lose :D) All 4 test subjects died after losing there last upper limbs of the respective severing. Within a turn of losing them due to blood lose. Creature size is 70000 and sizes for body parts are the same for body parts the same distance from the chest. Gona do some more testing with different body sizes and skipping the hands/feet.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 05:20:21 pm »

Just finished up some testing on materials with negative weights and their effect on hauling.

Negative Weight !!SCIENCE!!
Setup:
Task was to haul a stone with variable weight a set distance. All tests were carried out with the same dwarf so attributes would have as minimal an effect as possible and were carried out in the same hauling direction between start and end points. Distance hauled was 9 spaces between a start and an end point, making 11 spaces total counting both ends.
Code: [Select]
S.........ES=start E=end .=empty floor

Data:  (Note: 1 "Urist" = 1kg)
Code: [Select]
Weighted Stone (1000kg)             Weightless Stone (0kg)              Negative Weight Stone (-1000kg)
Test #     Results (Steps)          Test #     Results (Steps)          Test #     Results (Steps)
1          154                      1          110                      1          110
2          160                      2          133                      2          119
3          167                      3          110                      3          110
4          173                      4          122                      4          126
5          171                      5          110                      5          110
Avg        165                      Avg        117                      Avg        115

Findings:
1) The minimum weight listed in game is "<1" kg.

2) Hauling data for negative weight is approximately = to zero weight. As a result either negative weights are simplified to zero, or they do not result in faster hauling speeds. A further test to see if negative weights actually exist might to be to trade something to traders and see how it affects their weight limits. (Error log was empty though, so I would guess that it just doesn't "speed up" hauling times.)
NOTE: Further testing has shown that most negative numbers are simply set to 0, including weight.

3) A boulder has a volume of approximately .07 m^3 or 2.5 ft^3. Due to the way DF rounds display numbers to the nearest integer I was unable to tell which of these is the "true" value and which is just a very close approximation.

Possible Findings: (Possible trend, but not fully tested)
1) The game needs to recalculate hauling paths upon restart. This means if a dwarf is hauling something and you save and reload, then the total hauling time will be greater then if you had not saved and reloaded.

2) Spatters such as "Water covering" do not have a weight

3) Hauling does not increase attributes (Strength, endurance, agility, etc.)

Nice finds. I never thought the parser could read negative values. The whole season duration thing must've been a pain to find out.
The season duration was actually pretty simple since the wiki says 1 year = 4032, so 1 season should equal 1008. My tests just confirmed it. :P As for the long duration crops, I've discovered that with a 2x2 embark in a "relatively" lifeless area/no water and only 7 dwarves I can push the 5000FPS mark, resulting in a season only taking about a minute and a half to get through. The hardest part was actually making sure that I knew how long after the season the planting occurred since the fields just planted themselves with no dwarves appearing there to my eyes at that speed.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:36:48 pm by i2amroy »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »

You can make clay that fires into creeping eye soap.

*glances from side to side*

CREEPING EYES DON'T HAVE BONES, AND I DIDN'T WANT TO TAUNT THE MOD-GOD, OKAY?!?!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2