Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma-safety of ceramics  (Read 4780 times)

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma-safety of ceramics
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:39:21 pm »

Are earthenware, stoneware, or porcelein blocks magma-safe? I can't seem to find anything on the wiki, and my fortress isn't in a state where I can make experiment myself.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma-safety of ceramics
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:46:31 pm »

You'll have to try yourself. Make a 1x1x1 lava hole and dump a chunk of the stuff down it.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:59 pm »

From experience, I can tell you that earthenware is not fire-safe.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:02 pm »

All constructions are still immune to deterioration aren't they? If it's still the case anything you make out of the blocks should be good, so long as you don't throw the actual blocks themselves into magma.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »

Indeed, as far as I know you can still build a constructed magma reservoir out of solid ice.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:23:21 pm »

But can you pump magma with a pump constructed with a wood block?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:26:11 pm »

But can you pump magma with a pump constructed with a wood block?
No, because when you use it to make a screw pump it becomes furniture rather than a construction.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »

The wooden pump will pump magma ... for the short time before it becomes a !!screw pump!! and deconstructs, that is.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:32:29 pm »

The wooden pump will pump magma ... for the short time before it becomes a !!screw pump!! and deconstructs, that is.

It actually doesn't deconstruct until it becomes a !!xxScrew Pumpxx!! and finishes degrading.  Until then it works fine, but it burns rather quickly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:39:46 am »

I guess I could have phrased the question "Can a screw pump with a stoneware block pump magma safely?"

I'll just have to wait until my fortress digs its way to the magma sea and I can try for myself.  Or simply hope for a gabbro layer underneath all the flippen schist and dacite I've been finding...

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:31:21 am »

Ever considered goblinite?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 07:37:57 am »

Obsidian is Magma-Safe, if you have a source of water to channel down to the magma sea you can get as much as you want.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

In vanilla DF, the various ceramic materials do not have their own melting points defined; they inherit the default STONE_TEMPLATE melting point of 11500 Urist (magma is 12000U).

According to Wikipedia, fire clay (stoneware) "must withstand a minimum temperature of 1515°C (2759°F", or 12727U), well into magma-safe territory; the lowest firing temperature for earthenware is just a bit lower than DF's magma, so it should probably be magma-safe as well.

Pastebin with raws for magma-safe ceramics
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:47:05 pm by Andux »
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 07:49:35 pm »

Toady has been known to put placeholder numbers in for years at a time (see: d_init "you need 80 to receive a king").  So the raws may not allow magma safe clay, even though real life demands it.  Should be relatively easy to mod in, though, if you feel this is an oversight that needs to be corrected.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 03:00:36 am »

In vanilla DF, the various ceramic materials do not have their own melting points defined; they inherit the default STONE_TEMPLATE melting point of 11500 Urist (magma is 12000U).

According to Wikipedia, fire clay (stoneware) "must withstand a minimum temperature of 1515°C (2759°F", or 12727U), well into magma-safe territory; the lowest firing temperature for earthenware is just a bit lower than DF's magma, so it should probably be magma-safe as well.

Pastebin with raws for magma-safe ceramics

Andux, you are a gentleman and a scholar.  (Unless you're of the female persuasion, in which case you're a lady and a scholar).