Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playable mini-[spoiler] tower  (Read 701 times)

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playable mini-[spoiler] tower
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:27:26 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5022

A 20z spoiler tower set in a very high mineral (100 scarcity) world, with plentiful wood and stuff around. Pre-embarked group with plenty of supplies included. Runs at 50 FPS at embark on an ancient laptop with plenty of other stuff running in the background, so should be quite playable on most computers.

FPS has since picked up to 60, somehow. Tower extends from ground level to +21ish (comes out of the side of a hill), and is visible down to -31ish. Plenty of stuff available to assist in your epic death trap building methods. I'm planning on rigging up something to punch out the roof and let the inhabitants out onto the surface for when I'm done with it. Have fun.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playable mini-[spoiler] tower
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 03:59:24 pm »

Downloaded, gave it a whirl. Spire's there, all right. You've got well over 200 z-levels of sky above you on the embark, by the way.

What's underground, however, is just as interesting, and would explain your framerate issues. The following spoiler tags hide full-size screen caps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Your magma sea has quite rudely interjected itself into everything at and below the first cavern layer. Hell looks perfectly normal, however, save for being unusually deep, though unusual depth is fairly normal for worlds such as these.

Your eyes do not deceive you; you do in fact have muddy semi-molten rock walls, not to mention water and walls occupying the same space. I'm not sure whether or not that has an effect on framerate, but it's there.

I got about 40FPS on a 3GHz processor right off the bat. It might improve if the caverns flood all the way, but I didn't check to see if there was magma pouring out the side of the map anywhere.

In any case, you are now the proud owner and discoverer of a glitched world and I thank you heartily for sharing it with the community here and uploading it instead of discarding it. The entire world is likely to be as fractured as this site, so it's possible you could find a better spire or playable embark should you really wish to find one.

That's not framerate issues. That's about as good as framerates get, for me, however it manages it. It all seems entirely playable so far.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Playable mini-[spoiler] tower
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 06:50:05 pm »

Quite an intresting world you have. I'll be using it, thanks for sharing.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?