Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Describe your favorite embark site  (Read 1478 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Describe your favorite embark site
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:55 am »

Tell your favorite biome and terrain to settle on

for me it is Glacier
not just any glacier - only the ones that are completely FLAT
1z level all on the surface

obviously they must have water underground even if its just a murky pool (hope u dont get a fire FB)

it also needs iron as i dont get goblinite often due to my location
have yet to find one with a volcano.. that would make it awesome

YOUR TURN

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Describe your favorite embark site
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:14:44 am »

My current (and favorite so far) is a 4x4 with a volcano in the NW corner and a brook in the SE.  It has abundant minerals and just enough soil.  The many z-levels have allowed me to experiment with stacked stockpiles for the first time in a while, and I just got my water pump stack online.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:33:24 am »

A 2-3 z high hill surrounded by a flat, highly forested area.
All it needs is some channeling, ramp removing and massive deforestation... and Dorfs of course!... and magma, but that comes in later :]
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:43:21 am »

Volcano, flat land, and a river. Forestation is optional, but preferred.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 11:54:18 am »

I had a great one once, long ago when the advanced world genning parameters were new. I set the gen for maximum elevation variation and discovered an amazing canyon. Something like 20 z-levels on the surface (on a 2x2 map) with a river in the valley. I think there was even a waterfall. I should try something like that again... if I can keep my FPS high enough to play, that is. It'd be cool to make a cliffside fortress.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:59:58 am »

Oh man, my first glacier was completely flat.  And it was a 2x2 embark in a terrifying area.  Every ice wolf and blizzard man that spawned was able to see clear across the area and run straight as my dorfs as they were unloading the wagon.  Getting things underground was interesting on that map.

I prefer my glaciers to be a little less than flat because of that.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:00:53 pm »

I had a great one once, long ago when the advanced world genning parameters were new. I set the gen for maximum elevation variation and discovered an amazing canyon. Something like 20 z-levels on the surface (on a 2x2 map) with a river in the valley. I think there was even a waterfall. I should try something like that again... if I can keep my FPS high enough to play, that is. It'd be cool to make a cliffside fortress.
Once I made a cliffside fortress under a waterfall dedicated to making an adamantine vault for my adventurer. I rigged it so when the lever to the door was opened, magma would come in at about a days time. It was glorious. I walked out of their in full adamantine, ax in hand, standing on a bridge spanning the canyon. The magma poured through the door, obsidianizing the waterfall. The steam swirled around the drawbridge, up into the heavens, where Armok smiled upon the slaughter to come.

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 12:33:55 pm »

A perfect embark for me is all about the caverns! I want a huge, interesting cavern system, the taller the better, or perhaps (like my current fort) an underground ocean with giant stalactite islands to build in.
On the surface I like glacier, cause I love the contrast of friendly, warm caverns and freezing surface. High savagery ideal.

A volcano is a nice touch, but sometimes I feel almost 'cheaty' going after one.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:22 pm »

Ideal embark site...

> No Aquifer, or Aquifer only in a corner biome, so I can dodge it until I want the sourced water.  a river is better than an aquifer IMO.
> Decent flat area up top where I can build my main defensive structure.  The entire map doesn't have to be flat, but I'd like at least a 20x40 block with no z-level changes so I have room for airlock walls, butchers and tannery, refuse heap, and traps.
> Full Z layer of sand or soil I can hollow for tree farming.
> Another z with some sand or soil I can build my regular farms in
> Sand present (glass is useful).  Clay is a plus
> Several (at least 10) Z of solid stone (above the caverns) to build my fortress in.  Dwarves don't live in dirt!  Thankfully, I can basically guarantee this in advanced worldgen.
> Most minerals are optional.  I'd like access to at least one war metal (Iron preferred) and at least one precious metal (gold preferred) at least in good quantities.  If I get stuck with nothing but lead and zinc I will be... unhappy.  The precious metal is sort of more important as I can use cage traps to harvest goblinite early on rather than having war metals of my own.  Ideally, I'll have at least a *little* of everything so I can satisfy mandates.
> No Siltstone, Puddingstone, mudstone, conglomerate... I can deal with a little sandstone because it's "classic" but not too much.  I'd rather have a neon microcline-orthoclase-cinnibar fort that gives goblins (and anyone looking at my screen) seizures than a crap-brown fort.  Of course, the gray stones (Granite, Slate, Shale, etc.) are ideal for major constructions, looking both imposing and dignified.  Sadly, I can't control this one very well, and at least I can console myself that the hideous brown layers are probably rich in iron and coal...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 01:19:21 pm »

Hmmmm... tough to say. I play with aquifers off, simply because I get tired of having to try to avoid them and I'm a terrible, terrible overseer to deal with them.

A volcano would be lovely, as it makes metalworking a very easy industry to run then, since you can just 'R'epeat a bunch of things without worrying about fuel. Failing that, a ton of trees is good because then I can just make charcoal.

A flat embark is a must, because I build aboveground and it's more difficult if you have cliffs everywhere. A source of water is nice, but not required. I usually forget to set up a hospital anyway...

For metals I actually prefer not having iron, or having it be rare. I'd prefer to have copper and tin, but this is exceedingly difficult to find. Mainly the tin, copper is easy. I'm being tempted to mod in some reaction to spawn in tin, but then all that iron kind of defeats the purpose.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 01:20:35 pm »

Flat, I have trouble with surface Z levels as I try to watch a fight and they keep running over hills.
Deep Soil.
~20 levels of stone.
1 cavern layer (it all compresses into one, no content is lost).
Lots of trees.
A river or brook preferably.

I have a half dozen advanced worldgen sets that make pocket worlds with slight changes to this scheme.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »

Flat, I have trouble with surface Z levels as I try to watch a fight and they keep running over hills.
Deep Soil.
~20 levels of stone.
1 cavern layer (it all compresses into one, no content is lost).
Lots of trees.
A river or brook preferably.

I have a half dozen advanced worldgen sets that make pocket worlds with slight changes to this scheme.

How well does on cavern layer work? I usually have three, as I don't mess with that parameter much. I guess it would make it easier to tunnel through a cavern entirely if you only had one to worry about. But does that mean as soon as you breach it, you'll deal with all three cavern stuff combined? And wouldn't you kind of tunnel in through the ceiling and have a bunch of open air?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 01:25:26 pm »

It generates 1 normal sized cavern, with all three layers of cavern things inside it, so you get blood thorns and elk birds and everything all together.  FB generate normally, but obviously only on the one layer.  I haven't compared the spawn rate of FB if there's more or less than a 3 cavern world, but I think it's the same amount.

Honestly I don't bother with the caverns much.  I just enable it so that I can bring some plump helmets and dimple cups for easy dye and food.  I usually move to strawberries later, but midnight blue dye is unique.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 01:32:21 pm »

It generates 1 normal sized cavern, with all three layers of cavern things inside it, so you get blood thorns and elk birds and everything all together.  FB generate normally, but obviously only on the one layer.  I haven't compared the spawn rate of FB if there's more or less than a 3 cavern world, but I think it's the same amount.

Honestly I don't bother with the caverns much.  I just enable it so that I can bring some plump helmets and dimple cups for easy dye and food.  I usually move to strawberries later, but midnight blue dye is unique.

I see. I might do that. I don't do much for caverns myself either, the few times I've breached one it just ends with trogs rushing up through my mine constantly and bugging me.
Or everyone dieing horribly since I end up building the mine inside the keep to save on time (I once did a town 'properly' by making the mine far away, but then it took forever to build anything when they have to walk half way across the map with a single stone)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »

I've had my most enjoyable forts in locations with no metals at all. Embarks with iron ore, flux and abundant trees get boring pretty quickly.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2