Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [33g] Permaflood. A BIG ONE.  (Read 439 times)

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[33g] Permaflood. A BIG ONE.
« on: December 31, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

Similar to problem outlined HERE.

UPDATE: Movie documenting the reproduction of the bug has been posted to DFMA  HERE.

UPDATE: Bug reproduced, save file uploaded to rapidshare HERE.

Background: My fortress has no aquifers.  I channeled the water into the dining room of my fortress to make a waterfall for my dwarves, then pumped it back out, into the brook that I got it from.  After a while, I notice that my walled-off area where the pumps empty water back into the brook is about to fill up. Then it fills up.  And then all hell breaks loose.  7/7 water everywhere, slowly expanding throughout the map.  I closed the floodgate to the river, stopping the flow of water into the waterfall-room.  But the room just fills up, with water seemingly coming from nowhere, not slowly emptying, as it should if the pumps were working.

Possible problem: pump input / output.  The problem didn't start until the pumps were no longer able to push water out, because the area they were pushing it into filled up.

The water's gotta be coming from somewhere, and it isn't the brook, or an aquifer.

The save is uploaded. If anyone wants to witness it firsthand, go ahead.

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Idles ]

ZrO4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [33g] Permaflood. A BIG ONE.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

too bad the ark wasn't ready

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

I've wondered what effect this has on the overland map.  If you were to leave the pumps on for long enough, would that area be considered underwater?  Would the surrounding tiles be effected by it as well?  Could a magma permaflood eventually burn its way down from the mountains and into a human city?

All wonderfully deadly questions.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

The funny thing is, my fortress is pretty self-sufficient. I'm sure I could keep all my dwarves alive for a very long time in the permaflooded fortress, so long as no one opened the front door! The only problem is that with all the water, the game is reduced to about 3 frames per second.

To Kagus: I'm pretty sure the overland map doesn't store any information about the flooded status of the area you're playing in. Which is why migrants, traders, etc. still arrive faithfully, despite the looming lake of water awaiting their entry.  Water/lava seems to either stop moving when it hits the edge of the map, as if it's an invisible vertical wall, or flow off the edge (which just results in the water getting deleted, and not moving into bordering map areas).  I can't quite tell which happens.

To Toady:  Save file is uploaded. Please see original post.

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Idles ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 06:17:00 am »

Did you try abandoning, then coming back to the area as an adventurer?  I'm just curious what would happen.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

Find the highest volcano you can find, reproduce this setup with magma and then abandon. Station an adventurer there untill he starves. Repeat very often. Occasionaly, go down and see how far the magma is on it's way to devour the world. Start a new fort inthe middle of an ocean and get 100 or so floors of solid obsidian for free. And "top"soil underneath it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE