Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people (other than me) are still reading?

Well, I am...
Fine, you can choose this option.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort  (Read 8423 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 02:07:54 am »

We'll be waiting for you to return.

Although my main focus at present is making my own fortress build a !!Goblin Fun Run!! entirely out of glass - it's been a demanding chore but I hope it will be worth it.

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUD.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 10:02:23 pm »

Sandstone 11, 31
A badger got angry at the very existance of Walledeast.

Sandstone 14, 31
I ordered the construction of some furniture...type objects...to allow me to create a...device whose purpose will remain a secret.

Saandstone 17, 31
Migrants arrived.

First comes Reg Castledangled, a scrawny but tough-as-nails grower and smelter who likes magma men. Reg, you are the mose B.A. Dwarf this fortress has seen. Welcome to the Dawnstone militia! Next came Ustuth Daggerchannels, a glassmaker and tanner in addition to being a retired hammerdwarf.  Sorry, you're under my jurisdiction now, you're a hammerdwarf. The third to come was Tosid Citypaints, a picky woman who only has apprentice carpenters' skills. She would be put in a new “Cannon Fodder/Sacrifices” squad, but is  Daggerchannels's wife. At least she brought a silver battleaxe...Maybe I'll make her a siege operator. Next came Asmel Smithsports, another tanner who also joins the CF/S squad. I don't care that you're a high master, leather is leather. The fifth migrant to come along is Zon Bannersalve, a brewer who is kept. Morul Wallgorges, a tall, obese shark enthusiast with white hair, is a metal- and bone-crafter who keeps the second job, is our last migrant.
Some animals came along, too: A strong female cave spider, a weak yak calf, a gigantic male gosling, and a fat reindeer bull calf.

It takes a day to process everyone. Our population is now 18.

Sandstone 18, 31
I notice that the platypus-person tribe is swimming upstream, away from us.
I also decide that some badger steaks would be good all-around.

Sandstone 19, 31
Contact has been made with the enemy. Namely, the badgers. A couple have been killed, one inside our main meeing area (go, jabberers!). Hm, that's the fourth enemy, so we're 0.4% of the way there...okay, maybe wild beasts shouldn't count, so let's call the current ranking 0.3/0.4//100.

Sandstone 21, 31
As of now, five of the badgers are dead.
Wallgorges was “attacked” by a badger today, which seemed to mostly be Wallgorges running from a badger.
Smithsports gained his title as a wrestler today.
A giant, skinny badger boar was knocked into the river, where he is wretching his wretched guts up.

Sandstone 24, 31
I noticed another badger corpse in the halls, which makes us Fh 0.3/0.5.
Make that Fh 0.3/0.6.

Sandstone 27, 31
The last landbound badger is dead.

Timber 9, 31
A badger man alerts me to its existance by getting angry at that of the gosling, followed by his mate doing the same.
TO WAR, MY MINIONS!
...Daggerchannels, why are you taking tallow into battle?

Timber 10, 31
Boatblizzards, a battle is NOT the time to fill your waterskin!

Timber 11, 31
A badger woman enters the gate after assaulting the yak calf, then enters the fort and runs for the south gate!
It seems that only three of our militia have entered the fray, yet three (I believe) badgerfolk have fallen.
A badger man enters the gate! He runs past a curious kitten, into the siege workshop, and toward the food stockpile, pursued by Castledangled. Aftr running a bit more, he gets distracted by an invading badger woman.

Timber 12, 31
The invading “lady” is dead, as is the badger man. Fh 0.4/0.7.
Ah...crap. Pulleysmiths, the mighty speardwarf, has drowned, and Daggerchannels is not far behind. Yup, drowned. #$%&&?>. I abandon the attack and estimate the results.

The Battle of the North Gate: Timber 9-12. 10? badger people (5? losses) vs. 5 militiadwarves (2 losses). Result: Two dwarves drowned, attack abandoned by Dawnstone. Fh 0.4/0.7.

Timber 13, 31
They say that sixthdays on thirteenths are unlucky, but the unluck came earlier. Come to think of it, we should probably shift our calandar weeks one day with respect to the months so as to avoid them. No matter.
I set up a new stockpile.
The pond was breeched to retrieve our fallen allies' corpses and gear. Plans are being made to cover the ponds to prevent future such occurances.

Timber 15, 31
Blood was spread along with water and bodies, making us Fh 0.4/0.8.
Also, another pond was pre-emptively breeched.
Aaand...the caravan arrived!

-----

Good place to stop, neh? Sorry about the lack of pics.
I bet you're all just glad I'm back.

What do you think I should get? Whoever answers by the time I start playing tomorrow will be included!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:31 am »

Timber 17, 31
I did some trading. First some cloth and an earring for some plump helmets. Next I traded some lye for some leather and a waterskin. Then I waited for more stuff to get hauled here. Once that happens, I traded a pig tail sock for a nickel rooster cage and a barrel, followed by some gabbro blocks and raw clear glass for a sheep wool shoe, and then (mainly to cheer up the traders) a bit of alpac wool cloth for some granite blocks. We don't really need blocks, but hey, rock is always nice. Maybe we can build a statue or something from these blocks.

Timber 18, 31
I choose a spot for a bridge to cross the river.
Trading continues. I trade a spare waterskin for a backpack and some bauxite blocks, then some a sheep wool cap for leather and a chest, then a figurine of the goddess of night and darkness, Ngalak, for some phylite blocks and an earring for some cave fish.

Timber 19, 31
I noticed the gosling on top of a wall...I wonder if I should get it down?
I trade an earring and a sock for some cloth, which finally makes the traders pleased. Soon we'll be able to start our major trading operations...I'll start this finishing by selling an alpaca wool shoe for some raw clear glass. Not that I really know what the hell that that's supposed to be used for...

Timber 20, 31
I trade an alpaca wool shoe for a nickel cage, then tried a dyed pig tail sock for a dwarven ale barrel, which didn't work, so after I removed one of the pricier items from the counteroffer and they regected that, I decided that the time for small stakes was over. I buy that barrel of ale, a bag of rock nuts, a bin of leather, thirty prepared fish, and some thread for my first “bomb”...

[Yay, modding!]
...Or tried to. They came up with a counteroffer that gave them about 600% profit, greedy b*****ds. If we weren't struggling for self-sufficiency, I'd've left right there! I tried again, ale, nuts, and bin for the disk, and it worked...although the trader was losing patience. To placate him, I traded a dyed pig tail sock for a large copper pot...tried to. Despite almost 50% profit, he refused the offer. I can't trade like this. I chatted with the diplomat, but fell asleep after a bit. Embarrassing, really.
Oh, I also ordered a couple of badger women killed in what will be called The First Revenge of the Responsible Helms [the name the first, now only, squad chose].
Also, the reindeer bull grew up.

Timber 21, 31
The badger woman becomes angry at the very existance of Smithsports. I have to admit, for a good reason.

Timber 22, 31
The first badger woman was killed.

Timber 25, 31
After enough time for Boatblizzards to take a nap after the first was killed, the second badger woman was slain after she got angry at the very existance of Castledangled.

The First Revenge of The Responsible Helms: Timber 20-25. 2 badger women (both lost) vs. 3 militiadwarves. Result: Victory for Dawnstone. Smithsports somehow got totally covered with badger woman blood, including on fingers, toes, and teeth.

I also notice some badger blood on the catapult training area, which either implies that someone washed off the blood while in front of the catapult, or that our siege operators are more courageous and well-trained than we had thought. Either way, we're at Fh 0.4/0.8...actually, 0.5/1.1 or so, due to blood spatters from dumping corpses in constructed areas.

The liason finally started talking with me. He snidely noted the state of my office--high above ground, holes in the walls, and so forth--but I pointed out the exceptional earthenware statue of...huh, a wandering ogre of night, I never thought much about that...anyways, I also pointed out the lever right next to my seat, as if implying that it could flood the room with magma if he kept bugging me about the state of a yearling surface fortress, so he shut up about that. I meandered away, noting a badger blood smear that someone left here, making us Fh 0.5/1.2.

Timber 27, 31
Somehow, badger blood got into our farm plots. Well, we're Fh 0.5/1.4 now.

[I change to Vherid's 10x10 tileset at this point for its nice, curved walls. I hope this doesn't confuse anyone.]

Timber 28, 31
More badger blood tracked into the fort. Fh 0.5/1.5.

Moonstone 1, 31
...wolves? Huh.

Moonstone 4, 31
I start ordering the construction of a Soap Tower to the south. I don't know what it'll be used for, but it'll  have a narrow spiral staircase, have about fifteen feet to a side at the bottom, and narrow a foot for every two it rises.

Moonstone 6, 31
Nearly simultaneously, orders for charcoal and drinks were completed.

Moonstone 8, 31
I decide to extend to Soap Tower downward.
Some badger man blood and some badger blood tracked into the siege training area makes us Fh 0.6/1.7.

Moonstone 13, 31
This blood gets everywhere. Fh 0.7/2.1.

Moonstone 14, 31
The merchants announce their desire to leave soon. Fine, whatever.

Moonstone 17, 31
Now, hanks to more badger blood being tracked in, we are at Fh 0.7/2.2.

Moonstone 18, 31
The merchants pack up.

Moonstone 21, 31
The gander grew up.
The merchants finish packing up. They note our nice gate.

“We've been busy this month,” I explain.

Oh, and there are macaques on the other side of the riv...macaques? MILITIA--MOVE OUT! Geez, they're already in the fortress...and the wolves are also here, but less likely to steal our crap. Not that that stops Castledangled from charging after one instead of waiting in the tunnels for the macaques. Oh, wait, the wolves are attacking the gander that was on the wall and our citizens who are not. At least Boatblizzards is going where he's supposed to.

Moonstone 22, 31
Surrounded by macaques, Boatblizzards enters a martial trance! I knew there was a reason I made him militia commander! And Smithsports is joining in the fun, too, chasing a macaque who escaped Boatblizzards's furious spear. But more macaques come, ignoring the corpses of their brethren like some pack of kleptomaniac Leeroy Jenkinses.
Castledangled earned his title as an axedwarf, fighting alongside the caravan guards agains those wolves...Hey! There's a wolf sitting in our food stockpile! The wolf, spooked, runs into our fortress, towards my office...and encounters a giant cave spider.

Moonstone 23, 31
Between the eight nacaques and the two wolves whose blood is scattered on our walls, we are at Fh 0.7/3.2.

Moonstone 24, 31
The swordsdwarf from the caravan entered a martial trance from the new pack of wolves that entered. Speaking of wolves, one entered the fortress. I really need to get around to that “Barracks In the Gate” idea I had.

Moonstone 25, 31
After chasing it through the still, butcher's shop, and food stockpile, Boatblizzards punted the wolf into the river.
...That seems to happen a lot.

...And somehow the gander got back on he wall and won't come down.

...I think that's enough ellipses for today.

Moonstone 28, 31
After beating up one last wolf, the swordsdwarf left.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 07:30:01 pm »

This fort isn't dead!
-----
Opal 3, 31
I finally get tired of the liason trying to meet with me and make some requests. I request large pots, helmet snake and cave swallow eggs, tower-cap crutches and splints, fuel, raw clear and crystal glass, backpacks, waterskins, ropes, thread, bags, cheap cages, a wide variety of minerals (focusing on flux and ores), some supplies, military equipment, anvils to melt down, some seeds, star rubies (why not?), bars for home-forged military equipment, and some cloth.

Opal 4, 31
The import agreement was finalized, so we began discussing import.

Opal 5, 31
In the end, we agreed on highest price for goblets, then toys, then bars, then instruments, then splints, then crutches, then amulets and cloth, then cut gems, then bracelets. We'll export the luxury goods ASAP. With this agreed on, the liason bid adieu and headed out towards the east, through the south gate. Why, I know not, but meh.
We also ran out of coal and also also my office was completed.

Some joker made the back wall out of soap, but at least the office'll always smell nice!

Opal 6, 31
Odd, there's a trout in the farms.

I hope that all that dries up soon. The pond's still half-full, though (or maybe half empty--gotta think positive), so it'll take a while.

Opal 7, 31
I decide it's about time I get a bedroom, and plan it right next to my office.
Also, at some point the bridge across the river at the south was finished, so that should speed stuff up. Well, not so much a bridge as a slab of clay hanging over the river, but still.

Opal 9, 31
Finally, Hauler's Union regulations will let me put a bed in the Future Barracks Area ™. A bed was promptly put there, so as to serve our militia's sleeping/training needs.

Opal 12, 31
The second catapult is finally finished.
Also, a path for he gander to come back to the fortress has opened. He has until the barracks roof is finished to get down.

Opal 17, 31
In the basement of the soap tower, gypsum and limonite were struck. Good sign? I think so! Now lignite, too!

Opal 18, 31
And hematite!

Opal 19, 31
And sardonyx and jet!

Opal 21, 31
Bannersalve, by making a cage, decided he was a carpenter. More power to him, I guess.

Opal 22, 31
Castledangled is trying to get a minute of my time. Maybe in a bit.

Opal 24, 31
I choose a spot for an aboveground farm.

Opal 26, 31
Petrified wood was struck!

Obsidian 2, 31
I decide to update the stockpile records. When finished, I meet with Castledangled.

He, at least, felt better.

Obsidian 5, 31
My bedroom is finally finished enough for me to sleep in!
Also, our food stockpiles are full again. Time to make another? I make a largish room in the bottom area of our mines an “alco-hall;” hopefully, the cool, constant temperature will improve the quality of our swill.

Obsidian 9, 31
I chose the crops for our outdoor plot, then decided it would be wise to continue the wall over there.

Obsidian 11, 31
Yelledconstruct, emerging through the soap tower, notices a cougar in what will be the inside of it. They seem equally scared of each other and run away.

Obsidian 17, 31
Yelledconstruct struck bloodstone!

Obsidian 18, 31
Badger blood on the new catapult? Fh 0.7/3.3!

...Somehow, somewhy, Gar has been molding mechanisms out  of clay.
[I only meant to make clay useable in catapults...meh, still cool. And useful!]

Obsidian 19, 31
I choose a spot for a cage trap, the first of many!

Obsidian 20, 31
We seem to have a chronic food stcokpile space shortage. I decide to let tallow into the alco-hall.

Obsidian 22, 31
More cage traps set up. Also in attempt to save storage space, I allow dimple cups and plump helmets in the alco-hall.

Obsidian 24, 31
We ran out of lignite. Time to start steel operations!

Granite 1, 32
Spring has arrived! We have survived an entire year now. Hurrah!

-----

Good place to stop, no? Here is the save, so that everyone can look and gawk at how much of my “surface” fortress is currently underground. Well, shuddup about it! ;)
BTW, I'm playing ahead, so while I'll gladly take advice and maybe requests, don't expect it to show next update.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 07:28:49 pm »

Granite 4, 32
The barracks are completed!
A dog gave birth to two male puppies.

Geanite 5, 32
A badger gets angry at the very existance of Wallgorges.

Granite 9, 32
A badger gets angry at Bridgeinches. Mmm, badger...

Granite 20, 32
As part of Operation: More Badger Steaks, we reached Fh 0.7/3.4.

Granite 22, 32
Ack! Somehow migrants slipped past my notic yesterday! Here're their bios, assuming I didn't miss anyone:

Uvash Sealheld, a master weaponsmith! That's enough to keep him!
Libash Diamondclasp, a massive in all dimensions weaver and thresher. He likes glumprong wood, hammers, and gibbons. Libash, welcome to the militia!
Mistam Wonderrims, a woodcutter and wax worker. She's clumsy, glimsy, weak, and generally worthless.
Dobar Counselwheel, a fat gem setter who dabbles in spinning. She seems a bit antisocial, but who isn't who's willing to come here? We may have another militiawoman, but she's not the type to make a good, sturdy meatshield.
Ral Spottedceiling, an untiring thresher, followed Counselwheel. She has good bone doctoring skills, and seemingly a decent personality for medical work.
Atir Reinmirrored, a woodcutter and -crafter, as well as axedwarf, became a new militia dwarf. She is skilled, but not very agile or quick-healing, so she's not becoming militia commander.
Following Atir is Kubuk Cradlewheeled, a strand extractor and a weaponsmith. To the militia with ye!
Endok Bootthrone is a generally pathetic smelter. She may be kept, or maybe sacrificed against our enemies' blades. Being allowed to choose her squad's name, she selects “The Peaceful Mechanisms.” Yeah, that's a suicide squad. Endok has a pet puppy, a fat female named Mestthos Channelsircles.
Imush Bellstrails, a scrawny woman, is a wood burner, glaxer, and being drafted into the militia.
Aban Riddledagger, a metalsmith, follows. She is weak but fast-healing and has a good mind.
Sodel Bowlspear, a fat and muscular high master potter, follows.
Zuglar Daggerwhip, a high master metalsmith, is the...elventh? migrant, and puts Riddledagger out of a job. Don't worry, there's a new militia squad I'm starting, inspired by Zuglar's name..
Sarvesh Stockadeglowed, a tough little girl of four years, is Zuglar's daughter and the next migrant.
Rakust Cloisterrhythm, a healthy presser, is completely worthless except for his axdwarf skills. His pet poult, Zulban Glazehills, is fat and gigantic.
Kadol Claspclosed is another, completely useless migrant. So are Ezum Razorsmith and Atir Squareguild. Asob Workedbranded is also worthless, but at least qualifies for The Peaceful Mechanisms.

Non-pet animals came also: a gigantic, muscular mule foal; an enormous, weak male llama; a gigantic, muscular giant cave spiderling; a muscular and gigantic female horse foal (filly? Now I have an odd desire for a cheesey beef sandwhich...); and a giant, male horse foal

Thus concludes our migrant wave (I think). Our population is now 37.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 08:12:28 am »

I'm way ahead on updates, so expect a daily one for a while.
-----
Granite 26, 32
In an inexplicable accident, several dwarves defined as “useless” drowned after being accidently locked into a room and after I accidently bumped a lever.
I take some comfort in the fact that, while no pets died, one of the deceased claimed our rooster as a pet and named him Sibrek Syrupcaves.

Granite 28, 32
After trying to remove the door to the room, a brewer named Helpedorbs complained of the dangerous terrain and fled. Somehow, the torrent spewed macaque blood...
I also realise that Sarvesh has no father. Suspicious...

Slate 1, 32
A jabberer attacks a badger who dared enter our fortress! Fh 0.7/3.5.

Slate 2, 32
A weaponsmith complained of dangerous terrain while trying to remove the door.

A badger who entered our tunnels got angry at the very existance of a giant cave spider. Badger steaks will ensue.

Slate 3, 32
Aban Riddledagger, the former blacksmith and current militia captain, complained of dangerous terrain while removing the door.

Slate 4, 32
An order for backpacks was completed.

Our chief medical dwarf, Solon Blizzardgates, complained of dangerous terrain while removing the door. Oh, my daily woe.

A badger gets angry at the very existance of a fish cleaner. Don't we all.

Slate 5, 32
The door is finally removed!

Slate 7, 32
A badger killed a puppy while inside the fortress. It's personal now. The badgers will die.

Slate 9, 32
Not done yet, and at least Fh 0.7/3.8.
Oh, but Endok Bootthrones, the leader of the suicide squad, jumped into the river. Retard. We're better off without him.

Slate 10, 32
Took a day for him to drown.

A fish cleaner has been possessed! He keeps mutterring “Vumomeshik...”

Slate 12, 32
A cat gave birth to a kitten.

Having grabbed three dolomite boulders, some slity clay, and some wolf leather, the fish cleaner starts work.

Somehow, despte no-one fighting in the area, badger blood got onto the stairs of the Soap Tower. Fh 0.7/3.8.

Aaaand...

...this happened, out of the blue. Only one kill, a macaque, months ago, and the wrestler was running south in the tunnel. At least it's exceptional...
Speaking of running south, here's a sketch of the entire militia force running south towards a badger sow, the last of its kind in sight. The three horizontal lines are Daggerwhip the metalsmith building a soap wall. Kogan Boatblizzards, our militia commander for over a year if I recall correctly, simply stabbed his wooden spear into the badger's skull, killing it instantly.

Slate 13, 32
Several badger women wander in from the south. Since they're so nearby, I send the militia in.

Eleven dwarves, ten badger women, one inevitable result. Already two are dead. Three.

Slate 16, 32
One captured (somehow), one alive (somehow), the rest dead. And somehow, maybe by soap's natural cleansing powers, the badger blood vanished from the Soap Tower's stairs. Fh 0.7/3.7 again. :(

...That badger woman didn't last long...wow.

Now, what do we do with the prisoner?

-----

What, indeed? I think I'll focus more on my mod for a while to give you guys time to respond, especially since it's the evening of the 29th as I type this...actually, I have a modding idea I want to check, so never mind...*evilgrin*
Okay, her fate has been decided, partly. She's still alive, though, so suggestions are welcome.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 07:24:25 am »

Slate 16, 32

Now, what do we do with the prisoner?
That will have to wait. Right now, I want to look at this Saventrent everyone's talking about...

...Oh, the fish cleaner finished being posessed. Not that it changes anything, aside from adding 8,800 gold pieces' worth of wealth to our fortress.
[15 gold to one copper, each of which is one “dwarfbuck.” That's 132,000 dbs.]
I really don't know what to say about this. It's...nice, I guess? I'll have it displayed in my office. As for this Udil Machinemortal? She'll be given a special title and position. Hell, she can even smelt, it's not like you need any skill for that.

Slate 17, 32
I order all of the gems we have cut.

Slate 18, 32
Vumomeshik is on display in my office now, making it an opulent throne room and a grand dining room.

Solon made a kennel. She then tames our prisoner with some dog brain.

Slate 20, 32
I explain some stuff to the captured badger woman. What she's expected to do, where she's expected to stay. I assign her to masonry and hauling work.

[Another triumph for dwarves !!SCIENCE!!! I just added the [PET] tag to tame them, then removed said tag afterwards. Hurrah!]
I will give the badger woman a name after the community has considered it.
[Anyone want to claim the first badger woman servant of Dawnstone? Nvm, I decided the non-working b**** could drown it the river. Dammit, she survived!]

...I wonder if she'll ever go to work?
[Maybe a failure for dwarf !!SCIENCE!!?]

I have worse things to worry about than that, though. A giant badger got angry at the very existance of Gar. He calmed down, but this may be a sign of worse to come...

Slate 21, 32
A cabinet will be installed in my bedroom. Soon, I will finally have a room befitting my stature!

...What do you mean, a giant bat?...Crap, we leave ONE hole into the caverns and a giant fucking bat decides to pay us a visit! The hole is to be sealed up ASAP, but for now...we are going to be sending in the militia. Thankfully, the interrupted gem-cutter is a militia member, one of The Peaceful Mechanisms, meaning that noone important should be harmed. However, she became a wrestler while fighting off the giant bat, so on the off chance that she lives, she will be promoted to be an actual militia member.

Slate 22, 32
Dobar is knocked unconscious, but the rest of the militia arrives. Since she might survive, I give her a special title (Bat-Noticer) to help motivate her.
...Nope, she bled to death. The bat has been named, but Imush Bellstrails, a recruit with a steel pick, killed the bat before I could note the name (At least, said recruit got credited with the kill). By the way, Fh 0.8/3.8, population an even thirty.

Slate 23, 32
I decide to have the badger woman tossed off of a drop until she dies. After she lives through the first toss, I decide to just toss her in the river.

Slate 24, 32
Someone named Tekkud Glovedbound made a masterpiece. Checking, I discovered that said masterpiece is a roast made of dog and giant cave spider intestines, and wolf spleen and brain. Enough for four meals, worth about ten gold pieces each [total: 632 dbs].

Slate 25, 32
The badger woman, now with the placeholder name stripped of her, was tossed into the river. Somehow, despite falling thirty feet, she was unharmed. It's only a matter of time...I think...What the hell? She swam and walked back into the fortress!
...I'm going to train her for war now.
[Anyone want to claim the first warrior-badger of Dawnstone?]
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

Still no-one else?  :'(

Preview: War animals! Ghosts! Elves with awesome animals! New wave of Forest Retreat fashion! A new, awesome prisoner!

-----

Slate 27, 32
I notice a lot of miasma in the west reverse bridge. Apparently, badgers stink a lot for their size. After having had one in the fortress for a week and a half or so, I agree.

Felsite 1, 32
A mule grew up.
I don't think we'll need to deal with the elves, since they haven't shown their unnaturally clean faces around here yet. Shame, even if they didn't have any awesome animals, they might have spare wood, sunberries, or at least practice for our militia.

Felsite 2, 32
Solon trained a war dog...er, males are a better choice? Whatever.
[Dammit, why didn't Solon train the badger woman? I added [TRAINABLE]...ah, I left out [PET], maybe that's it?]

Felsite 4, 32
Solon trained another war dog. Male, this time.
[Dammit, nope.]
I also notice more blood in the farm plots. Fh 0.8/4.1, at least.

Felsite 9, 32
A giant badger gets angry at the very existance of a yak calf.

It ended...badly.
[Dammit, screwed up the screenshot!...Somehow...]
Not satisfied with killing a yak, the monster turns to Riddledagger, who is working on a north-end-of-the-river project. Time to activate the militia...Never mind, it killed Riddledagger and calmed down, two traits that make this beast who wades through scrapes no longer a target.
[The giant badger was named Scrapewades.]

Felsite 12, 32
Ustuth Uristcatten, a ghostly hammerdwarf, has been seen near the kiln!
...Have we buried ANY of our dead?
Okay, let's get some of these coffins used!
...We only have ONE?!?!?! I'll have the noob-carpenter's workshop get to it immediately!

Felsite 13, 32
Those pointy-ears are cutting it close this year, ain't they? They probably don't have anything good on 'em, but let's check anyways. Besides, with some patience and luck, they might bring exotic critters!
…Holy Armok, their water buffalo is carrying an elephant cage!
[Modding elephants not to graze. THESE ELVES RULE!]
The elves also have a raccoon, a fox, a wolf, a wide array of wooden armor, and a wide variety of other goods.
-----
From the journal of Apasi Limbplay, merchant of The Everseeing Lions.
These dwarves live in a place called “Dawnstone.” Certainly, at first, it seems nice; bright yellows and deep reds, like the sun at sunrise and noon, show from a distance. Yet it is a fraud. Rotting and rotten corpses of badger men and women are scattered about over the ground. There is a dead yak calf right next to their half-completed front gate, purple miasmic clouds billowing from an entrance west of the river that my hosts tell me are from decaying dwarves and badgers, monsters from the depths roam free on the surface, blood everywhere, fearsome mechanical contraptions by the elephanload, and the sunshine-yellow walls are made from WOOD! It's some kind of fungus-wood, and the dwarves tell me it's grown organically, but I don't trust them. Me and my husband, Imepe Jawticked, mainly came here to see this “Saventrent” thing, a white stone harp with rings of white stone and spines of wolf leather, studded with white stone and clay, and with an image of some mushroom carved on it. Maybe we can trade these spare creatures for some fine dwarvish goods; I imagine that white stone would go well with Princess Niri's bedroom. Maybe we'll discover that these are more kind dwarves than those Cousin Disa met. It took weeks to find all of his limbs.
-----
Felsite 14, 32
A giant cave spider grew up.

Felsite 15, 32
I found time in my schedule to trade.
-----
From the journal of Apasi Limbplay.
It took two days of waiting before the trading began. Two days surrounded by animals belonging to these cave-men, watching massive spiders patrol the tunnels underground, staring at the yellow fungus-wood, wishing we could see the glorious sun. Two days of sitting there, staring at the torn-apart badger and the massive cave beasts who likely did the deed, wondering if the dwarves would pull a lever, sending us to our watery grave, wondering if we would face the iron blades of these maniac midgets...I wonder that we did not go mad.
I was therefore pleasantly surprised when the leader of these dwarves, Great-Wyrm Bronze they call him, came and asked to trade the raccoon we brought for a glove. We declined, although the midnight blue would fit well with Her Majesty's wardrobe. They declined, and instead offered TWO gloves, both midnight blue, for the wolf cage. We both knew that the gloves were worth more than half again as much as the wolf, and so accepted the deal. Next, they offered a single giant cave spider silk sock, midnight blue, for both the raccoon AND the fox. The sock was worth more than half again the value of both cages, so we accepted again. Then their leader appologised, but there were no other trades he could make at this time with the state of goods as they were.
-----

Also, a cave spider gave birth. I also noticed a small bird in one of the cages the elves offered. The elves identified it as an oriole. I explained to them that if it didn't get eaten by our cats, it would distract whomever adopted it by flying constantly out of reach. “Maybe if you come with a giant one. Big as a cavy, at least. Ideally bigger.”
I traded a couple items of clothing for a cage, a barrel, and some beer once they were hauled here.

Felsite 16, 32
A hood for an alser spear (not the best weapon, but elves make wood weapons better than we do).

Felsite 17, 32
A shoe for a bunch of berries, then a glove for a bunch of wooden armor. What idiots! They're pleased about this trading!
-----
What idiots! They're pleased about this trading! If they simply sold a wardrobe of this blue silk to Queen Ecu, they could practically clean our all of Her Majesty's coffers! Although they don't seem to like wood crafts, so I doubt they'd put much faith in wood coins. They could probably buy out the stables of elephants, though. And there's quite a specialty market for cavern leather, too. All this wealth for a few animals and some surplus military gear! We're so lucky to have been chosen for this! We're even luckier to not have been killed!
They then traded a pig tail dress--also a specialty item--and a llama wool cloak for some river spirits (foul stuff, but then so is all the swill these diggers drink) and a mahogany short sword.
Then, thy show a very unique thing. It's a large, sharp disk, made of some kind of clayey stone. Definitely worth the cloth bin, elephant, and boots we traded it for. No doubt that High Druid Ola will find it useful for a new altar.
-----
Felsite 19, 32
I choose a spot for a casket for one of our dead.
I trade an alpaca wool glove for a cedar longsword, then a mitten for some berries, a crutch, a cage, and a low boot. I never thought I'd say this, but these elves are nicer than our own dwarven trade partners!

Felsite 20, 32
A mitten and a glove for two wooden shields.
A giant cave spider gave birth to three identical female spiderlings.
A dress for a buckler and a couple boots. The elves look very happy about all of this.
A carpenter walled himself in. Odd, I thought they built walls from the west...

Felsite 21, 32
A cloak for a cage and a bunch of clay.

Felsite 23, 32
The badger woman has been trained in the Art of War.
[Hey, it worked! Sweet!]
She will be patrolling the area just outside my rooms until a better idea comes along.
[Anyone have any idea how to give her weapons?]

Felsite 24, 32
A couple shields and a barrel for a dress. It took a while to reach an agreement, but the elves are still pleased.
-----
From the journal of Apasi Limbplay
It took a while, but we have secured another dress for Princess Niri's wardrobe. Lovely, midnight blue giant cave spider silk. We will be so FAMOUS and RICH! These creatures are not like us, but they are skilled craftswomen. And men, their males are as important as their females. Weird, but the patriarchal human societies are completely bizzare!
[This is from the elves' point of view, remember.]
-----
The elephant was trained for war. Excellent.

Felsite 25, 32
I noticed someone walling themselves in. Again.
Several sand bags were traded for two (undyed) giant cave spider silk glove and a dyed sheep wool cloak, then an emerald green rope for a pig tail fiber sock, hood, and quiver. I wonder what their plan are for them; I don't speak much Elvish, but they seem to be talking a lot about their princess and queen, and clothes. Elves. Everything's fasion and celebrities with them.
-----
We start to notice that some of the clothes are bloody and/or waterlogged. Judging from the leather, miscellaneous supplies, and corpse in the river, it would seem that drowning is a major cause of death around here. They also seem to fight a lot, which makes sense. Still, we need to tidy them up. Maybe red and gray streaks will be seen as fasionable, but the smell of blood won't be. I wonder if the Queen or Princess would notice the difference in shade between blueberry and dimple cup blue? If they do, and we claim that it's 100% dimple cup, we could be executed for fraud. Is it worth it?
-----
Felsite 26, 32
A couple seed bags for a couple claoks and a robe. A boot for a cap. The elves now have nothing useful to buy. The first carpenter to wall himself in has been badgering me for a while about a meeting, but I have an order for stone coffins to manage and a badger woman guard to check on the progress of.
...She's guarding, I guess.

Felsite 28, 32
Lorbam, the carpenter/mason I've known since the beginning, walled himself in. “Walledeast” indeed.
[Walledeast is Lorbam's last name. Ironic.]
Lorbam swiftly starts taking down to try and escape.

Hematite 1, 32
Kogan Boatblizzards said to me, “There's a snatcher! He's a goblin webber!”
I gasped. “A webber? Those are really rare, aren't th-SARVESH! Where's the snatcher?”
“In that cage trap over there.”
“...Okay, this really could have waited a couple hours, I'm busy here.”
The snatcher will be stripped of clothing and then...SOMETHING will be done.

-----

Another prisoner! Taming this one isn't an option, though...
Goblin webbers fire webs of obsidian. A bit of work and maybe modding obsidian some should result in an obsidian silk farm! :)
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 10:55:40 pm »

Ugh, I need to not get so far ahead of myself...Currently, Dawnstone-on-my-computer has gotten another artifact and a combo beak-wolf-siege and double-goblin-squad-ambush. Those fucking goblins...
Anyways, two updates per day might happen. Not tonight, because it is as late as my best militia-dwarves are stupid and the creators of my artifacts are dead. Oh, sorry, did I spoil? Hint: It's best to use caution when modding in new goblin castes. Fucking fireballs...Fucking marksgoblins is the main problem, actually. But enough, I'm going to stop typing before I reveal that
Sig

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 01:56:29 am »

Still no-one else?  :'(

You wish.  I'm still lurking and enjoying your story.

... .should result in an obsidian silk farm! :)

Very interested in seeing how this works, might try it for myself.

Cheerz,
Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUH.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 06:40:58 am »

I think this might be the most-read community fort that only gets comments when the OP comments on the lack of comments.

-----

Hematite 3, 32
Amazingly, the walled-in area was completed without anyone walling themselves in again.

Hematite 7, 32
Atir engraved a masterwork image in the alco-hall. What could it be?

...Should I be glad that he engraved me or angry that he refers to my appointment as “The Gland of Flushing?”
Regardless, Atir is really becoming an expert at engraving.

Hematite 8, 32
Badgerfolk? In the Soap Tower basement? Horrible! Militia! KILL! THEM! ALL!
-----
I hear screams of peaceful animalwomen (and men, I guess) from the depths of this Dawnstone place.
Oh, my...They showed me one of their dwarves after I criticised their attack on the local badger tribes. His left foot was a mangled mess of broken bones and toes and his head had a wound that, had it been much worse, would have been fatal; the doctor says his skull was bruised and the poor dwarf was knocked unconscious by a badger woman. I never thought I'd pity someone who was harmed by Natural Vengeance, but this Libash Diamondclasp...he was in horrible shape. I see now that these dwarves are fighting these...these creatures for their own survival.
-----
Fh 1.0/4.2, I believe.

Hematite 9, 32
Apparently, even though ghosts can go through walls, walls can't go through ghosts. A wall-construction job was suspended due to the presence of ghostly Daggerchannels.
Oddly enough, burying those who have risen from the gave is not a major priority; Atir Bridgeinches, a potter, was buried first.

Hematite 11, 32
Kogan killed the last of the badgerfolk and announced...

...That he was a militia commander. Huh. Well, let's see...he's a spearmaster, but he was for a while...that was his 40th kill...grandmaster fighter, not sure how long that was there...I don't know.

I just realised something: The Soap Tower is completely unguarded! Unlike all the other current entrances to the fort, there is not one scary creature penned up in the Soap Tower area. The war elephant will go there for now.

Hematite 12, 32
More badgerfolk are chasing around some livestock.
A site for a ballista is chosen.

Hematite 13, 32
A carpenter, angry about the undead, lack of furniture, miasma, rain, and many other things, threw a tantrum. He throws a sock at a nearby puppy and a shoe at a wall, toppled the wood-growing mound I was using, got a beating for that last one...with an axe, because he's REALLY annoying...and sat in the food stockpile, bleeding.

...He deserved it. And, anyways, a weaponsmith dragged him to the barracks to rest and be laughed at by the militia and bleed over the floor (the bleeding actually stopped right before reaching the barracks's floor, actually). He continued to tantrum as he rested his grevious beating-wounds.

Hematite 15, 32
The local badger tribe has been beting on that poor horse foal for days. Time for some armed intervention...Also for some cage traps, badgerfolk make good Honor Guards.
...The soldiers are still just training. Okay, that recruit who made the harp in my office is out there, fighting the badgerfolk, but he's all alone. Oh, wait, there's that wrestler who had his foot smashed by those badgerfolk in the basement. Now that guy with the steel pick who killed that giant bat, Bellstrails I think. And that guy who's attatched to his training spear.

Hematite 16, 32
It seems that we are out of skulls.

Hematite 17, 32
A badger woman is chasing a carpenter through the tunnels and into the depot area, where the elves are wondering if anyone will come trade in these last days before they leave.
-----
There was a horrible sight today. One of those badger people chased a dwarf through the depot today. I really feel sorry for these people. I suppose that they aren't helpless--one cut off a badger man's head so hard it landed in the middle of a large pond--but they are still in danger. Not every dwarf is an insane killing machine; they are people with hopes, lives, and dreams as vast as any elf's. And their clothing is so...it has this exotic beauty! I wish that I could live among these dwarves forever, running an animal shop, buying their spare clothes and selling them for several times the price to my countrymen back in the forest retreats...but I cannot. The life stinking of blood and ale may be an interesting change for a month, but a lifetime would be unbearable.
Speakin of which, we've been here long enough. Time to pack up.
-----
Weird. Kogan made the same announcement. He hadn't even killed another badgerfolk.

A bonecarver is making gauntlets from that giant bat's bones. Sweet.

The elves started to pack up. Finally.

Hematite 18, 32
I notice some raw shad in a food stockpile, so I order a fishery built.

Hematite 20, 32
The elves, our greatest trading partners so far, have ridden off into the sunset.
On a side note, the last badger man ran into the tunnels to escape the militia, only to run into a giant cave spider. Fh 1.1/4.3.

Hematite 25, 32
Kogan, returning to train in our barracks, eyes open for any more goblin pedophiles or whatever they snatch children for, ready to kill the badger-tribe hordes at a moment's notice, has retrieved the gauntlets made from the giant bat's bones.
For fun, his current arms & armor list:
1.A bismuth bronze breastplate she won from a caravan guard in a bet, with The Hazy Diamonds's symbol (a chestnut) engraved on it in native gold.
2.An iron helm, won in the same bet, with the same symbol in amber opal.
3.Imported, well-crafted bismuth bronze chain leggings.
4.An imported bismuth bronze shield in his right hand.
5.Two mahoghany high boots, Elvish imports.
6.Two giant bat bone gauntlets, made from our fortress's greatest deceased subterranean foe.
7.An Elvish alder spear (the only non-training spear we have...sad) also in her right hand.
8.An exceptional chestnut training spear in his left hand. That blunt stick has killed nine badger women, three badger men, twelve badgers, six macaques, and a wolf. Since his alder spear has no kills, I assume that she killed her other kills (three badger women, three badger men, three badgers, and a macaque) were killed with her bare hands.
9.A finely-crafted badger leather waterskin, currently containing some home-brewed longland beer. (The Elvish version is fine, but elves just don't know how to brew good swill.)
10.A badger leather backpack, containing a superior-quality roast made from pond grabber spleen and garnished with jabberer sweetbread and prickle berries.
Oddly enough, he is not wearing any civilian clothing...I would have thought that chain legging chafing would interfere with her fighting...maybe not as much as it would for a male...
[I can't help but wonder what possessed her to abandon her civilian clothing in defiance of the “Wear Uniforms Over Clothing” order...oh, wait, I messed that up. Fixed.
I think Kogan might be my most badass dwarf EVER. She kills the worst enemies of the fortress with her bare hands and blunt sticks! Armored only in a couple pieces of metal and, very recently, wood and bone, she has never been injured in combat to an extend that I've noticed. How awesome is that?]

Hematite 27, 32
...Why is Solon prioritizing cleaning up blood over diagnosing Diamondclasp or that carpenter? I guess that hygene is an important part of a healthy work environment, but seriously! That's the FARMS. A WALL. Made of SOIL. And you have PATIENTS in need of DIAGNOSIS.

Malachite 1, 32
The orders for smelting iron ore are complete. Now for smelting pig iron. At this rate, we should have the orders for 10 steel bars completed by...oh, next Granite or so.
Oh, and the Western Courtard is complete.

Malachite 2, 32
The ballista was started, but a log marked for building something got in the way. I hope all the carpenters work double-time on those walls...
And now Solon is on break. Of course.

Malachite 6, 32
A horse foal grew up.
Atis engraved a masterful image of Dawnstone being settled down in the wood-growing area.
My order for bone gauntlets was completed, using only bones from that fiendish giant bat from the caverns.

Malachite 7, 32
With how much badger blood is being tracked around, I daresay we are at Fh 1.1/4.4.

Isn't it annoying when angry citizens won't meet up with you when you're ready for them?

Tekkud, the cook, made a masterpiece roast from dog organs garnished with prickle berries. Delicious!

Malachite 14, 32
An order for bone greaves was completed, all three pairs with badger bone.

Two more pools of badger blood noted. Fh 1.1/4.6

Malachite 18, 32
More f*&k^%g migrants.

They are: Kadol Weaksabres, a ranger/marksdwarf/gemcutter who is now in charge of a new marksdwarf squad, the Portals of Entering (She says it's because she and her squadmates will be guarding the portals we enter by. Whatever.); a carpenter/leatherworker/Suicide Squad member who brought an iron axe; Aban Halltufts, a skinny high master stonecrafter who dabbles (skillfully) in mechanics and not being chosen for being in a suicide squad; an apprentice ranger with fewer combat skills (although, strangely, including hammerdwarf skills higher than marksdwarfship ones), but with a place on his master's (Weaksabres's) squad; a worthless soaper; a talented bowyer, soon to be a very needed profession; an adequate weaponsmith (but we already have a high master one!) who I decide can be an apprentice woodcrafter; and a high master metalcrafter.
Animals were a mule foal, an enormous-and-skinny reindeer bull-calf and an enormous-and-fat one, a giant and fat hen chick that is the weaponsmith-turned-woodcrafter's pet, a skinny jabberer chick, and a giant, muscular yak calf cow.
Thirty-seven dwarves, fourty-four animals. A couple are scheduled for butchering, but who knows when that'll happen?

-----

Marks/Hammerdwarf, huh? I never knew DF was so good at generating realistic migrants! ;)
And what do you mean, that soaper's doomed? I swear, it was a coincidence that only worthless dwarves drowned right after the migrant wave that last time! *shiftyeyes*
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:31 am »

Malachite 19, 32
I send the newest squad to fight a giant badger sow that entered the fortress. Remarkably, despite being one soaper, that action not only scares out the sow, but also scares off her two friends. She even managed to inflict bruises on the behemoth without it caring. While NAKED, the crazy lady. Then, over the next few days (all put here for clarity), it was chased into the fortress, into a massive cloud of miasma caused by a rotting badger man paw, past a farmer, into the depot/meeting area, past the apprentice ranger who I hadn't told not to hunt (who began shooting--no! I want you to STOP! And where did you get silver bolts?), back the other direction, and the badger fell unconscious from its wounds (mainly a bone chipped by a silver bolt...DENTEDSYRUPS!). I'll pick up where this happens.

Malachite 21, 32
A militadwarf became attatched to a steel pick. Let's see...Yup, same guy who killed the giant bat, same red-beryl-encrusted nickel-silver-spiked imported steel pick.
And now that soaper is pounding on the giant badger with her bare hands...OH GOD MORE GIANT BADGERS ARE COMING THROUGH THE TUNNEL. AND THE FIRST JUST WOKE UP. HOLY SHIT WE MIGHT BE DOOMED.
...Wow, the recruit just BIT THE GIANT BADGER IN THE LEG AND IS SHAKING IT AROUND LIKE A GINORMOUS LIMP PIECE OF MEAT. Incredible! And the other giant badgers seem put off by the smell of the rotting paw!
AND THE NAKED RECRUIT IS IN THE TUNNEL, BITING AND KICKING AND SCRATCHING THE ANGRY MONSTER THAT IS SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN A RHINO. WHILE A FARMER CALMLY WALKS BY TO GATHER PLANTS. I am proud of my fortress but embarrassed of my usage of capital letters.

Malachite 22, 32
A new carpenter's workshop is set up. We now have three: One for highly skilled carpenters which handles important miscellaneous jobs, one for low-skill carpenters which churns out furniture we need in large quantities but not necessarily qualities (such as blocks, cages, and caskets), and the new one for  competent but not master carpenters to make other highly-useful furniture which we like more quality on, like beds, tables, and spikes. We still have a labor shortage, though.

Malachite 23, 32
Oh, dear, oh, dear. Is that badger the soaper's beating up on an alpha female or something? The rest of the...pack? Herd? Murder? (Wait, that's crows...) Whatever you call a group of badgers, there's a gian one down in the tunnels, seemingly scared by the midget bathed only in giant badger blood tearing at their leader and yet unable to turn away. I'm going to try to end this by quadrupling the numbr of dwarves attacking! That's right, suicide squad, you might actually contribute to this fortress's defense!

Malachite 24, 32
That soaper, Squarepick, finally earned her title as a wrestler.
The giant badger sow is lumbering, in obvious pain, back to her compatriots. One of them has wandered into the drowning trap (er, took long enough for someone to do so?) and will soon be waterlogged.
Oh, and the original intruder was knocked unconscious again. Hell with it, I'm sending an ACTUAL military squad in. Granted, the smallest, worst-equipped one, but once we get enough daggers and scourges they'll be great!

Malachite 25, 32
The giant badger has finally been slain by a stab to the brain from the large silver dagger stolen from the goblin thief!
That reminds me, I need to build his “containment device” and attempt at a new KIND of obsidian farm...
Oh, and Fh 1.2/4.8.

Malachite 27, 32
The reindeer bull was slaughtered.
Also, Walledeast made a masterpiece fungiwood spike, and Halltufts (the new stonecrafter) made a masterpiece nest box. Hurrah for them!
Finally, a ballista (second designated, first built) was test-fired. The bolt went between Daggerwhip and a brewer, narrowly missed the bowyer, and crashed into a wall. Geez, that was close. I stopped a second shot from going off, but the bolt was strewn into the dirt right next to the barracks.

Malachite 28, 32
I see the siege operator wants to load the ballista anyways. Fine, whatever...Actually, it would be nice if there was an actual FLOOR under the ballistae, wouldn't it?

Galena 1, 32
A milita planter withdraws from society while wandering towards a food stockpile for some seeds. He kicks Atir out of the craftsdwarf's workshop.

Galena 2, 32
Having grabbed two dolomite boulders, some silty clay, badger bones, and some rough bloodstones, the planter begins work.
A giant badger got angry at the very existance of a farmer, but apparently remembered the fate of the last giant badger to enter the tunnels and quietly (and still angrily) went the other way.

Galena 3, 32
The giant badger got over it.

Galena 4, 32
Maybe once the giant badger drowns the others will stop entering the tunnels.

Galena 6, 32
Two things that took a while: The giant badger drowning, and the creation of Daltabar Kizbiz Kezar, “Greedfaith the Deer of Rust”, a dolomite ring. It sounds better in dwarven.

Impressive, a white multipart ring, adorned with red rings, with spikes of white and red, and with a small replica of Savantrent on one side. Just impressive. You can even see the plump helmet. Worth a solid 8,000 gp. Not as much as Savantrent, but I'll still display it in my the dining hall, once we get one.
[Remember: 1 gp = 1 cp, and 1 cp = 1 db.]
-----
Memo to Aban Halltufts, former stonecrafter of Dawnstone.
Aban, you aren't a stonecrafter anymore; that guy who kicked you out of the workshop and grabbed random stuff is your replacement. Don't worry, though, a position in the militia just opened up! Please report to the militia captain by noon tomorrow to obtain your equipment. We’ll start you with a training spear and move you to the real thing when we’re certain you won’t kill all of your squadmates.
Sincerely,
Olin “Great-Wyrm Bronze” Smootharrows, Expedition Leader, Manager, Sherrif, Broker, and Bookkeeper of Dawnstone.
-----

Galena 8, 32
I have pulled the flooding lever. Time to have someone remove the door. And since the badger somehow bled some, and the water somehow spread blood from everywhere everywhere, we are at Fh 1.3/5.0.

Galena 9, 32
A jabberer laid an egg! Some presser person wanted to cook it, but no, we're letting it hatch.
A giant badger got angry at the jabberer's very existance, though.
Geez, the terrain really IS dangerous when you start to remove the drowning chamber's door!
The rain has spread blood to our fortress's roof, so Fh is 1.4/5.3.
A farmer tried to store some hide roots she had gathered in a food stockpile, only to discover a giant badger on the bridge next to her.

Galena 10, 32
Another attempt was made and abandoned to remove the door leading into the drowning chamber. Two, in fact. The second time took it to the stage where it hangs open. However, several kinds of blood were spread into the corridor, so Fh estimated at 1.4/5.5.

Galena 13, 32
The wall of the lowest aboveground level of the Soap Tower has been completed, so far entirely out of jabberer and GCS soap. The next level will be made of wolf and badger soap, because we have a LOT of that.
When we weren't paying attention, a giant badger killed a horse foal.
I decide to give up wood-cutting to ficus on administrative tasks, such as trade, work orders, and not being mauled to death by giant badgers.

Galena 14, 32
Some masterwork fungiwood bolts were made by our resident woodcrafter. Good job, lass.

Galena 15, 32
The menacing giant badgers gave way to tasty-looking groundhogs. Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!
Well, even without the estimated return from hunting, we have over 300 meals' worth of meat, not counting that processed into meals, so meat's STILL on the menu, but still...I've always wanted to say that.

...Well, this was...unexpected. A force of several beak dogs, one riding a moose, has come. Better redirect that militia...I hope they listen...

-----

HERE we go...(The beak dogs don't do much to us. Don't worry!)
Sig

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »

Can I have a dwarf? Pick a peasant, preferably without any friends, assign him a 50x50 burrow, dump a pick, axe, some food and drink, and some seeds (5 each of plump helmet, strawberry, fisherberry, Longland, and 9 rock nuts). Nobody besides the guys who dump said supplies may enter. Then build a wall around the perimeter of the burrow. Have my dorf plant his own crops, dig his own stone, chop his own wood, make his own stuff, etc. in that little fort of his.

Name him "Robinson" after Robinson Crusoe.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »

Can't do that right now; a gobbo ambush decimated the fortress. (Note to self: Walls are useful against bowgoblins.) I'll dwarf you ASAP and give you something...similar...to your idea.

eDIT: Almost forgot, I misplaced my DF flash drive, so maybe no update today.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:16:07 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 04:22:30 pm »

Cool. I'll be back to check up on the update.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5