Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people (other than me) are still reading?

Well, I am...
Fine, you can choose this option.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort  (Read 8425 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnstone: A Community Fort in the Monster Hunter Universe
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 11:39:07 am »

Okay, all I'm getting in Dorf Space is crashes, so that's out, but maybe I could try FD or Hydra Rising or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »

It seems as if the workshops you made with plastic weren't being used, probably because of the plastic, I carried on with the fort from the save when Hode was still alive and reorganised a little, managed to survive until the migrant wave came and then started getting beaten to death by ghosts.  The carpentry shop doesn't seem to work possibly due to the plastic its made with.

You've got access to sand, I'm going with the glass economy and plan to build an above-ground fortress entirely out of glass.

I'd suggest save-scumming and carrying on after rebuilding the workshops.

Darkening Kaos, CIS.

Edit: removed misinformation.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:04:01 pm by Darkening Kaos »
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:03 pm »

Actually, I think it might be because I forbade several of them to focus current workforces; workshops made of all kinds of clay, plastic grains included, work just fine for me. Press t near the building to see if this is the case.
And I don't like savescumming. It feels like cheating.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 10:29:20 pm »

The masonry shop in the pool and carpentry shop were not forbidden as far as I could tell - there were no braces around the materials - and I enabled the appropriate labours on the felynes, so, as far as I could see, there was no reason for them to not make slabs or beds and what-not.

Going further into the hill from your entry point, I found limestone, but as of yet, no iron, so no steel-makings - glass is going strong, but not yet able to start large scale construction, might be worth reclaiming if you also 'arrange' for a glass-makers/furnace operators/potash makers in the embark group.

It has been interesting trying to keep the fort going, what with rabid animals of all sorts waylaying the felynes, the only thing keeping them alive is the cage traps in the entrance.  Makes for plenty of food so they are not going hungry.

Darkening Kaos, CIS.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 06:35:58 am »

A. Really? Huh, my felynes made stuff in the workshops just fine. That's where the bed and the microcline (or was it cobalite? Not the ice crystal I was hoping for) coffer were made.

B. I'd consider it...hm...maybe if I regenned the world, but with the FD mod...wait, how do you get the worldgen parameters from a world? I feel like I should know this...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 08:46:23 am »

The general consensus seems to be to use some other mod, so I'll go with FD. Been meaning to get that again anyways...
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnstone: A Community Fort No Longer in the Monster Hunter Universe
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 10:26:03 am »

Let's try again.
-----
Tadinomon, The Enchanted Realms
We live in a dangerous world. We must weather everything from dark stranglers to jotunar if we are to survive. How can we do this? Only by perseverance and strength, and the will of the mountains. We will live. We will triumph. Why? Because WE! ARE! THE HAZY DAMONDS!
--Excerpt from a speech given by, Oddon Fencedled, the king of The Hazy Diamonds, during his coronation speech.

Those were the words that brought us here. Lucky us.

We were chosen by our fifteenth monarch in the last thirty years--since the beginning of creation--and now, after two years' prep, we are finally ready to try and make our new fortress...Dawnstone.

It is placed here, near the coast, where two rivers meet, far from other centers of civilization.

We also have a large number of animals, several of which we are slaughtering as we no longer need them.

We also have a fair amount of supplies...

...but our herbalist will need to supplement these until we get our butchery or farms up.
We also have lye, alpaca wool cloth, cave spider silk thread, some logs, some quartzite, a piece of grainy plastik, a few ropes, some spare bags and buckets, a splint, a crutch, a pick, an axe, and the clothes on our backs.
My name is Olin Smootharrows, but everyone calls me Great-Wyrm Bronze, in part because of my favorite metal, and in part because of how studious and organised I am.
[spoiler=Profile]
I was elected leader of this expedition because of my focus and organization, my previous experience in organization and negotiation, and because I am stubborn as a draltha. In addition to this vital role I play, I am a woodcutter.

Another vital member of the fortress is our miner and engraver, Atis Yelledconstruct. She often butts heads with me, due to the fact that she is even more stubborn than I (although I have more patience, which helps in the long run). She is friends with Avuz Palacelantern, a craftsdwarf-of-many-trades capable of taking a log and a lump of clay, then turning it into some figurines which she bets along with three microcline mugs she also made in a game of Five Queens and beating you soundly. Unfortunately, she is often depressed and keeps her thoughts to herself. Also along is Lorbam Walledeast, a down-to-earth furniture-maker who likes pandashi leather (Not panda, pandashi--where could he have picked up that taste?) and brook lampreys for their beauty. Down-to-earth, head in the clouds, I tell ya. We also have a clothier/mechanic who combines those two tastes. Her name is Tulon Wheelslanced and she is the most outgoing individual I have ever met. She is, oddly enough, both conservative and honest, and immodest and undisciplined. Next we have Stukos Grottoposts, a weaver and grower who used to work on a pig tail farm, but decided after the third time he was attacked by a naga-man, he should move. So he did. He seems to be enthusiastic, but also a bit...I dunno, reserved, like he wants to go along with your ideas because there isn't possibly anything better to do. Finally, we have our herbalist, cook, and brewer, Tekkud Glovedbound. She seems a bit emotionally unstable, which is why I'm glad she'll be spending most of these first months out gathering plants, away from everyone.

Here we are, 'tis time to strike the earth!
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 03:44:30 pm »

Granite 1, 31
Let's look around the site a bit more.
There's a couple sturgeon and a tribe of platypus people in the riverbed, but so far notihing else. Speaking of the riverbed, it seems to be the only place we can get clay.
We are on the northwest chunk of the area, and need to build a bridge to acess three-quarters of it. Or we could make a reverse bridge, which is the dwarven way. I have it planned already...I also choose a spot for an entrance staircase, a food stockpile, and a few workshops.
This will be a grand fort, visible from miles off! Oh, wait, I forgot to mention that. Since the beasts of the depths are even worse than jotunar and war elephants, I have chosen to refuse to live in the depths more than needed. Storage, maybe forges, maybe workshops, maybe even some living quarters...but the majority of our fortress will be in the light of the unblinking eye in the unwavering sky!
You know, that set when I was wandering the wilds...

Granite 3, 31
Yelledconstruct struck black sand under the river today.
Also, there are badger-folk wandering to the south, eyeing our advanced tools...they frighten me...
I also choose spots for butchers' and tanners' shops. Palacelantern seems the perfect choice for the jobs.

Granite 6, 31
One of the GCSs was butchered, to lower logistical concerns and bolster our food supply. I like GCSs...big, dangerous to enemies, and almost every part is useable!
A dog was also butchered today.

Granite 10, 31
Yelledconstruct finished the reverse-bridge to the west half of our area.
The platypus people were swandering (swimming and wandering) south, upstream.

Granite 12, 31
Glovedbound is taking advantage of our underground bridge...thing...to gather some more plants.   

Granite 15, 31
I order up a few wooden barrels.

Granite 17, 31
There is dolomite right under our staircase. I'll keep that in mind.

Granite 20, 31
The wooden barrels are complete.

Granite 21, 31
I discovered that my orders to toss bones, leather, and other misc. stuff onto the food stockpile by the river was interpreted as an order to throw in INTO the river.
[ARGH!!! I! AM! SO! ANGRY! AT! MYSELF!
Well, it's not that much...A bunch of waste, 2 dog leathers, 128 jabberer bones, 20 jabberer feathers (modded to be shearable and craftable), 24 dog bones, 2 jabberer skulls, 2 dog skulls, a bag, a bucket, some quartzite, some cloth, and a crutch...]
Great, we lost our crutch and a wagonload of crafting materials to their stupidity.

Granite 22, 31
I choose the spot where the three bridges meet to be our (current) trade depot.
Also, I call off the “Don't finish the south reverse-bridge, because of those badger people!” order, because they don't actually look that threatening.

Granite 24, 31
The other side is finally reachable!

Granite 25, 31
I begin setting up basic defenses around our bridge entrances.
Oh, and Yelledconstruct is starting the farming complex.

Slate 5, 31
The first farm plot has been...plotted...

Slate 6, 31
Since we have excess wood, I queue up 5 charcoal bars.

Slate 8, 31
The kiln is complete. Let gathering of clay commence!
Another farm plot was finished. I think I'll stop specifically mentioning stuff like this.

Slate 21, 31
With the death of the water buffalo bull, all animals scheduled for slaughter were slaughtered.
In other news, a slow news month has gripped Dawnstones.

Slate 26, 31
With the growling of a badger boar at Glovedbound, clearly angry at her very existance, and the presence of others in the vincinity of our fort, badger steaks are expected. The new meeting area is on the surface, so as to draw our animals to the irritable feasts. I'm told that Glovedbound has her detoxification solution for if one of the GCSs bites one. So the venom doesn't hurt us, that is. Venom-laced meat is not tasty.

Slate 27, 31
A platypus woman is swimming up the little river, separated from the tribe.

Felsite 1, 31
I choose a spot to start a wall leading across this part of our area.

Felsite 3, 31
As a badger becomes angry at the very existance of a jabberer, it seems my prediction will come true.

Felsite 6, 31
Dogs got two, the jabberer got one.
Make that dogs 3, jabberer 1.

Felsite 7, 31
I choose a spot for a dramatic Main Entrance Bridge.

Felsite 25, 31
Noting interesting. I queued up some pottery jobs.
A badger man gets angry at the very existance of a platypus woman. This could get...interesting...
I'm hoping for something interesting to happen.

Hematite 1, 31
Summertime. Good place to...arbitrarily take a break?

Our farming area is proceeding nicely, but we need more seeds. Yes, that means we have a need for seed.

Here is where most of our stuff still is.
And there is really nothing else to show.

-----

So...no one else? Just me here? Alright, I'll run this community fortress for my own amusement.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 05:10:03 pm »

Shorter update this time.
-----

Hematite 10, 31
Glovedbound got interrupted by a badger man today. He escaped.

Hematite 11, 31
And again, this time abandoning some whip vines. However, a badger man got angry at her very existance...and then his mate...and then he escaped.

Hematite 16, 31

Holy.
Firey.
Tounge.
Of.
Armok.
What.
The.
Hell.
Is.
That.
Thing.
Doing.
Here?
And
How
Will
I
Use
The
Rest
Of
This
Page?
(New column starts.)
Thankfully, Glovedbound fled into the Reverse Bridge before any of those...things...could get angry at her very existance.

Hematite 21, 31
Another of those...things...got angry at the existance of a jabbeerer. Thankfully, nothing came of it.

Hematite 22, 31
Migrants have arrived, on the right side of the river even!
Here is a breief description of them:
Ast Planksearch, a smelter, leatherworker, and siege engineer. She is overweight, likes luxury, and isn't the type to express her feelings. If it wasn't for the fact that she has high workers' skills and came to this dump, I'd say she was a noblewoman. She's even wearing a midnight-blue giant cave spider dress with matching gloves and mittens.
Atir Bridgeinches, a potter with some glassworking, animal dissecting, wood burning, and record keeping skills. He is very fat and has some odd tastes: Dragons (understandable), bismuth, “raw adamantine” (whatever that is), rope reed fiber (Elf!),  and blade weed. He is also antisocial.
Meng Pulleysmiths, an apprentice metal crafter and surgeon who is made chief medical dwarf (mainly on personality, as he is not antisocial). He likes something called “Daemonsteel,” which I think is a metal made by some fictional creatures I read about once.
Kogan Boatblizzards, a clothier, record keeper, observer, and...ooh, what's this? He's a speardwarf? Dawnstone now has a militia captain.
Next comes Solon Blizzardgate, whose personality and diagnosing skill elevate her to the position of chief medical dwarf. She is also a former cleric, being extremely religious, and has skill with a hammer.
Also, a giant badger sow got angry at the existance of Glovedbound after Planksearch arrived, and then again later around when Boatblizzards came.

We now have a dozen citizens (11 if Glovedbound keeps getting giant badgers angry at her very existance). We only have about 30 drinks left and no direct river access. We need to make a still and a well...and a hospital...and a spear...and armor...Armok, what don't we need?
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 09:21:36 pm »

Hematite 24, 31

...Fuck. That's what we wanted to AVOID.
We failed.
The plans for our dormitory will need to be...changed.

On the bright side, we know where not to dig. I have Yelledconstruct dig a staircase down next to the offending one and prepare orders to vlock off the hole.
Yelledconstruct is legendary (by her accounts, at least; regardless, she's quite skilled) at mining, so she swiftly begins excavations. Limonite is struck in the dorm.

Jobs are being given to the migrants. Pulleysmiths is being drafted as a speardwarf.
An order for training spears and another for bone armor are drawn up and given top priority.Orders for leather armor and waterskins are also...ordered.

Hematite 25, 31
A giant badger gets angry at the very existance of one of the jabberers.

Hematite 27, 31
A giant badger gets angry at the very existance of Planksearch.

Malachite 1, 31
The caverns are sealed! What a shame that the spores entered...

Malachite 4, 31
I was checking the corridors for plants to have plucked, when what did I see but a giant fucking badger waltzing down our west corridor?
Plenty. I didn't see a giant badger waltzing, in fact; that would be horrifying. But I did see a giant badger, friends on her heels...

...coming straight towards to fortress.

And then leaving, friends still on heels. Thank Armok.

Malachite 9, 31
A giant badger got angry at the very existance of a dog.

Malachite 14, 31
After a long wait, I finally get an office. It has a nice view.

Malachite 16, 31
A giant badger gets angry at the very existance of a platypus man.
Wait, that's a normal badger!

Malachite 17, 31
Different badger, different platy, same story. Angry at the very existance.
I choose a spot for a well.

Malachite 20, 31
A badger gets angry at the very existance of Bridgeinches.
I wish I had more news to report that badgers getting angry at the very existance of stuff.

Malachite 22, 31
I complete the well.

Malachite 25, 31
A badger gets angry at the very existance of a jabberer.

Galena 1, 31
A badger gets angry at the very existance of Walledeast.

Galena 15, 31
An area for training siege operation has been completed right next to the well.

Clay lumps are shot to the east, strike the wall above the passage, and fall into a neat little pile where they can be reused. Nice and compact.

Galena 19, 31
Aside from a wild shot and the fact that dolomite was grabbed rather than the clay, the catapault worked perfectly.

Galena 22, 31
With the southeast-quadrent entry gate completed, basic defenses...still need the lever to pull to actually close the gates.

Galena 28, 31
A dog gave birth to puppies. Two of them, a male and a female.

Limestone 9, 31
A giant cave spider gave birth to giant cave spiderlings. Two of them, a male and a female.
As the elves say, deja voodoo. Something like that.

Limestone 12, 31
I have decided to expand the catapault training range to two part-time trainees.

Limestone 21, 31
A badger man got angry at the very existance of Planksearch. He decided to take out said anger on Bridgeinches...and Walledeast (who shortly thereafter fell asleep)...then he ran away, doing no damage.
No, wait, now he's angry at MY existance and wants to take it out on Blizzardgate...fuck this, send in the militia! They've got (wood) spears, they've got (leather) armor, they've got a (somewhat) inferior foe, they should be fine.

They were. In fact, Boatblizzards managed to punch the badger man into the well! Remarkably, though, the beast continued to breathe just fine despite unconsciousness and, well, being in a river deep enough to kill most dwarves. The badger man then regained consciousness, having lost it after hitting the riverbed due to wounds received, swam maybe ten or fifteen feet, then collapsed in pain again.

Limestone 23, 31
A cat gave birth to kittens. Two, a male and a female.
As the elves say, daily vu. Or something like that.

Limestone 24, 31
A badger man was seen wandring inside fortress walls. I decide to send our two kind diplomats who met the last of his kind to arrive unnanounced...
The badger man flees to jejoin his fellows. Seeing as how neither has grabbed a wood spear yet, I guess that it'll be a fairly fair fight.

Maybe not. Neither dwarf has a scratch. Also, the first badger man drowned. Sadly Boatblizzards was only credited with the kill of the badger man whose skull he staved in, due to union regulations.

Limestone 25, 31
I start a wall designed to give us freer access to the other side of the river (West quadrents, to be exact) even when under siege. Because they WILL come...

Limestone 26, 31
Another badger person, this one a lady-badger, was sent. Perhaps they thought that her beauty would blind us to the fact that she was on our land?
One thing they didn't count on is that our militia is all-female.
[A fact I didn't notice until just now.]
Boatblizzards makes Dawnstone proud again by defeating the badger woman single- and bare-handedly, although in doing so also mars the nice surface of our perimeter wall. Although some would argue that a good fortress needs the bloodstains of a thousand foes spattered on its walls to truly be a Fortress, so maybe we're just 0.1% of the way to Fortresshood. In any case, I have chosen to apply what my...advisor...terms the “Creon in Antigone” policy on slain intelligent foes: Their corpses will be left outside to rot. (If inside, they will be brought to a special pile inside our walls as a “reward” for having gotten in so far.) However, in what he terms the “Saving Haemon” policy, all such foes will also get a stone slab.
[Mainly to take them off of the list of creatures I can engrave a slab for. Also, a cookie to whoever gets the reference.]

Sandstone 1, 31
This is absolutely unacceptable!

From this day forth, I declare war on the badger man race for intruding on our home once too often, and much too far! Also the badger race, but mostly because they're tasty.
Now we are angry at YOUR very existances, badger-morons!
...Well, not what I expected. Oddly enough, the militia (now with wooden spears in hand) went after the female badger woman on the surface and not the badger man in the tunnel. Oh well, war has officially been declared, eventually the news will get to them, and anyways a jabberer tore the tunnel-invader to several messy bits, thereby making us 0.2% of the way towards being a Fortress.

Sandstone 4, 31
A group of some more badger people entered, and what's more their one “emissary” has attempted a pre-emptive strike on me to decapitate our leadership. Time for another battle.

On a side note, here's the names and such we have so far for our military history:
The Battle of the Well: Limestone 21, 31. 1 unnamed badger man (killed) vs. 2 speardwarves (no losses). Result: Victory for Dawnstone, slightly tainted wellwater.
The First Battle of the Bridge: Limestone 24, 31. 1 unnamed badger man (killed) vs. 2 speardwarves (no losses). Result: Victory for Dawnstone.
The Second Battle of the Bridge: Limestone 26, 31. 1 unnamed badger woman (killed) vs. 2 speardwarves (no losses). Result: Victory for Dawnstone, 0.1% of the way to Fortresshood.
The Invasion of the Tunnel: Sandstone 1, 31. 2 unnamed badger people (all killed) vs. 2 speardwarves, 1 jabberer (no losses). Result: Official declaration of war. Victory for Dawnstone, 0.2% of the way to Fortresshood.

So far, this battle is not--one soldier is asleep, the other refuses to budge.

Sandstone 5, 31
Apparently Pulleysmiths didn't feel secure without Boatblizzards with her. Oh well.
Aand Pulleysmiths went to sleep in the tunnel.

The Battle of the West Bank: Sandstone 5-9. 7 badger people (7 losses) vs. 2 speardwarves (no losses).
Pulleysmiths awoke just at the end, despite sleeping through a kitten scaring off another badger man, but the kitten did not participate in the battle and was so not included. Pulleysmiths got her first kill, so she was.

Sandstone 9, 31
Some badgers were sighted, but as they didn't stand on two legs or babble, they were left alone for now so as to give our soldiers a break.

-----

The Battle of the West Bank seems like a good place to stop.
Sig

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 02:59:42 am »

'Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the puppies of aggravation!'

I am finding it entertaining, GreatWyrmGold.  Never give up!  Never surrender!

Darkening Kaos, CIS, LUD.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 03:46:20 am »

Can I claim Tulon,mentally unstable mechanic?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 06:29:55 am »

@Darkening Kaos: It's nice to know that people are still reading this typo-riddled tale despite its slow pace.

@peregarret: What nickname would you like? Also, be aware that I have not mentioned some things like:
The only stone we thus far have is dolomite, limonite, coal, and silty clay, three of which I'm saving to make steel and the fourth is useless for mechanisms, or that I grew a lot of quarry bushes and needed a thresher, and Tulon wasn't doing much...Anyways, I need the nickname and he'll be good to go.
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 07:15:21 am »

Call him Gar.

No need to keep stone for steel you won't get that mush iron. That's question if there is any iron...

What's that star-like building on the shore next to wagon place?

EDIT: we can defend ourselves with burning coal grates/bars! Do we have magma there?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:17:10 am by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 03:31:32 pm »

A. We have limonite, and if that's not enough our accidental prospecting revealed veins of hematite annd limonite (as well as lignite and coal), so no worries about that.

That "star-shaped building" has an interesting history. It came with a "termitefolk colony" mod I found, and was originally used to make wood edible. I added a reaction to that workshop to also "grow" wood, which I gave to the dwarves in this mod so they could build massive wood walls and stuff. Stuff I forgot to mention. That's why all the walls are a nice even yellow where the blood of two enemies (and counting) has not stained it.

-----

The universe grinds to a halt as the gods turn their focus to another world.

-----

At a time where I thought no one was reading this, I agreed to join and pierce the aquifer of Unitedbolt. This means I won't be updating Dawnstone for...a few days at least.
Sig
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5