Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Breeding unicorns  (Read 7696 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding unicorns
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »

Nearing the end of the first year and no foals yet. Darn unicorns, stop being stubborn. Then the game crashed when a soldier got attached to his brand new iron yari :(
I hope that's not some kind of reoccurring bug... only had DF crash on me twice today. Also, after playing embarks with volcanos, I get REALLY spoiled about magma.

I miss you magma. Too bad you're a big pain in the butt to get without an volcano. (Or at least, a big pain in the butt for me. I haven't ever tried using pump stacks)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 11:45:28 pm »

There are elephants here. ELEPHANTS.

While you're breeding unicorns, go on and hunt the elephants to extinction. They have pretty good value multipliers. And they are big.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 11:57:08 pm »

There are elephants here. ELEPHANTS.

While you're breeding unicorns, go on and hunt the elephants to extinction. They have pretty good value multipliers. And they are big.

Thinking of doing that in the morning. There's giraffes too. Only animals I recall seeing wander through so far.
I'm also thinking of modding in some kind of workshop or something to let me smelt things without fuel but then... well, that's kind of gamebreaking to have easy access to magma, and since I kinda want to release this mod someday, that presents a problem... /offtopic

Darn unicorns, BREED! I want my unicorn leather. I mean, sure, I have iron but come on - UNICORN LEATHER!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 12:32:22 am »

Can the Unicorns horn be used like horn/antler/tooth/hoof of any other creature for decorations? I like the idea of grinding it up into a powder and snorting it.

Don't look at me like that. You knew what i was like when you let me in.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 01:47:30 am »

yup, the horn can be used as decoration or carved into figurines and such, itself. and has a nice value multiplier on it. part of why i decided to start breeding them as often as i could (plus, with their value multipliers the milk and cheese i modded mine to supply make many a dwarf giddy, even before they're cooked into meals). i'm sure there's a way you could take the alicorn and turn it into powder. maybe? although, i've only seen plants powdered...hmm... but, that reminds me too much of lurr and his human horn hunt

as for your pegasoi, artist formerly known as elf-fondling human, it looks like you did give her permission, as stated in her 'thanks' in the mod: -elf-fondling human, who graciously allowed me to include the pegasoi in this mod and provided the graphics and raws for them. (also, she's changed them a little bit. added the grazer tag, since you made 'em before grazers existed)

and, speaking of grazers...if you want to catch and tame some of those elephants, you're gonna want to change their grazing to a more manageable number (or get rid of it entirely, if you like) or else they'll starve to death. giraffes will need the same, to a lesser degree. but, if you *do* do that, and catch/train 'em, lemme tell ya, both of them make great warbeasts. rhinos, too. plus, just one could feed your fort for a year

as for why the unicorns aren't breeding yet, do you really have a breeding pair, instead of two males or two females accidentally? either way, sounds like one may be somehow sterile and you'd need to get another of either gender to see if that helps

and, lastly, if you want magma, an easy way is to use df hack and put it where you want. mind you, you'll still need to dig down to at least *see* the natural magma before your dwarves would realize that the room full of magma you gave them really can power the workshops you built the next level up. yeah, cheaty, but if you're uncomfortable with pump stacks, it works, until you decide 'dammit, i'm gonna learn pump stacks no matter how many dwarves it kills' (took me a while to reach that point)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53:39 am »

Unicorn horn sugar! Immediately after ingesting your male dwarves will eject vast clouds of spores, while your females will inevitably give borth to triplets.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:34 am »

yup, the horn can be used as decoration or carved into figurines and such, itself. and has a nice value multiplier on it. part of why i decided to start breeding them as often as i could (plus, with their value multipliers the milk and cheese i modded mine to supply make many a dwarf giddy, even before they're cooked into meals). i'm sure there's a way you could take the alicorn and turn it into powder. maybe? although, i've only seen plants powdered...hmm... but, that reminds me too much of lurr and his human horn hunt

as for your pegasoi, artist formerly known as elf-fondling human, it looks like you did give her permission, as stated in her 'thanks' in the mod: -elf-fondling human, who graciously allowed me to include the pegasoi in this mod and provided the graphics and raws for them. (also, she's changed them a little bit. added the grazer tag, since you made 'em before grazers existed)

and, speaking of grazers...if you want to catch and tame some of those elephants, you're gonna want to change their grazing to a more manageable number (or get rid of it entirely, if you like) or else they'll starve to death. giraffes will need the same, to a lesser degree. but, if you *do* do that, and catch/train 'em, lemme tell ya, both of them make great warbeasts. rhinos, too. plus, just one could feed your fort for a year

as for why the unicorns aren't breeding yet, do you really have a breeding pair, instead of two males or two females accidentally? either way, sounds like one may be somehow sterile and you'd need to get another of either gender to see if that helps

and, lastly, if you want magma, an easy way is to use df hack and put it where you want. mind you, you'll still need to dig down to at least *see* the natural magma before your dwarves would realize that the room full of magma you gave them really can power the workshops you built the next level up. yeah, cheaty, but if you're uncomfortable with pump stacks, it works, until you decide 'dammit, i'm gonna learn pump stacks no matter how many dwarves it kills' (took me a while to reach that point)

Ah. Okey dokey, then. It's been a while, and I honestly haven't tried modding for some time.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 09:29:33 am »

I went and modded elephants to not be grazers anymore. Kind of cheating, but considering the reason they starve to death is they don't seem to to eat trees... I figure it's just making them usable until Toady makes them graze properly.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 11:22:30 am »

Just remember Elephants can produce over 200 food per animal. Make sure you have enough barrels!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »

Not to be to picky or anything, but the proper plural for pegasus should be pegasi according to Websters dictionary. Of course if it's a modded creature then the plural can be anything that the creator wants it to be, but in english it's pegasi.

Also yeah, elephants are awesome as long as you modify them to need less grazing. And if you want magma I find the easiest way is just to bonzai straight down, walling off and digging around any caverns you hit, until you hit the magma sea. Then you just simply have to dig a spot for the magma to flow out and you have all the magma you could ever want.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 01:11:33 pm »

Actually, barrels are what you don't want.  A stockpile set to take elephant meat only, will work wonderfully.  An Elephant Meat[200] won't fit in a barrel.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 01:12:32 pm »

I have now discovered why the unicorns aren't breeding. I noticed they weren't showing up in the animals tab, so I checked the raws.

They don't have the [PET] tag by default. So I guess the game isn't registering them as pets, even if they're Tamed. Is this something I can edit, or will it require a re-gen?

@i2amroy:
Not sure if that magma idea works. At least, I mean that idea WORKS but you still need pump stacks. That or you relocate all your forges to be about 50 levels down. And as I do aboveground settlements (it gives me something to use all that darn stone on) that would be a lot of pump stacks.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 01:15:38 pm »

[PET]'ing can be done in-world.  So can [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK], size, age, and even number of limbs!  In that regard, creatures are extremely easy to mod after worldgen.  By contrast, nothing in the entity file can be modded.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 01:16:42 pm »

[PET]'ing can be done in-world.  So can [CAN_LEARN], [CAN_SPEAK], size, age, and even number of limbs!  In that regard, creatures are extremely easy to mod after worldgen.  By contrast, nothing in the entity file can be modded.

Woohoo! Now then, I only did a quick test look around to compare unicorns to other animals but, is it [PET] or ![PET]! ? I saw both used. Well, both used in different animals and I'm unsure what the ! !'s mean.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 01:22:07 pm »

![PET]! is probably where someone modded it (you said LNP?) and wanted to differentiate between natural [PET] and modded ![PET]!  In practice, the raws ignore things outside of brackets, and ignore invalid tags that are in brackets, so it makes no difference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4