Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and NaNoWriMo=50k words in 30 days!  (Read 1518 times)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Dwarf Fortress and NaNoWriMo=50k words in 30 days!
« on: October 05, 2011, 05:48:50 pm »

So, for those of you who don't know NaNoWriMo, it's the National Novel Writing Month.  The goal is to write a 50k word novel in 30 days.  It doesn't have to be good, revision comes later.

I did one successfully back in 2007, and then was stuck in writer's block hell for the past 4 years.  This year, I'm ready to do it again, and am writing one based on DF, beginning on November 1st.  Eventually, the goal would be  to edit it  to make it both publishable and not run into copyright issues.  There aren't enough novels about dwarves out there!

I'll put each chapter as it's finished up here.  Anyone else in?

The official website is here:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress and NaNoWriMo=50k words in 30 days!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:46 pm »

Do it!

I want to do it to continue my novel (currently 60k words) to get a huge draft that I can whittle down. I guess that's not part of the usual rules so not sure if I'm actually doing NaNoWriMo, but will be doing a LOT of writing that month anyways.

Plus, all-night writing parties are fun. Maybe on Bay12 doubly so? :P

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:31 pm »

Do it!

I want to do it to continue my novel (currently 60k words) to get a huge draft that I can whittle down. I guess that's not part of the usual rules so not sure if I'm actually doing NaNoWriMo, but will be doing a LOT of writing that month anyways.

Plus, all-night writing parties are fun. Maybe on Bay12 doubly so? :P

I'd love to see it happen!

I've been tossing around a dwarves novel for ages. Jim C Hines writes great Goblin stories.  I want to do the same for Dwarves.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 08:09:34 pm »

I'm afraid I've already committed myself to do a collection of short stories framed by the common narrative of a post-apocalyptic taxi driver, so I couldn't do a full-length DF novel.

However, thanks to you I am now going to include a dwarf story as part of the collection. I mean, really, once I got to thinking about dwarves and the phrase "cheese maker goes on a quest to milk a dragon on a drunken dare" crossed my mind, it was pretty much a given.  ;D

At any rate, I suspect your dwarf story will turn out much cooler than mine, and I look forward to reading it!

Also: all-night writing parties are awesome, and I am so down that you might say I've dug too deep.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

I do it myself every year since 2007.  Still haven't managed to finish but I've been doing better every year.  This year doesn't look good either,  I'm in the process of relocating and and the new Elder Scrolls comes out on the 11th.

But I'm gonna try!

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/246479
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:02 pm »

I do it myself every year since 2007.  Still haven't managed to finish but I've been doing better every year.  This year doesn't look good either,  I'm in the process of relocating and and the new Elder Scrolls comes out on the 11th.

But I'm gonna try!

The only thing stopping me form having "Urist McNyx cancels NaNoWriMo: interrupted by Skyrim"  is "Urist McNyx cancels play Skyrim: Interrupted by crappy computer" :D

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 12:37:50 am »

But I'm gonna try!

The only thing stopping me form having "Urist McNyx cancels NaNoWriMo: interrupted by Skyrim"  is "Urist McNyx cancels play Skyrim: Interrupted by crappy computer" :D

I need an upgrade myself.  CPU and Ram are getting a bit dated.  The video card is a 460 GTX though, so I do have that going for me.
I've worked out a 500 dollar upgrade, so we'll have to see how that pans out.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!