Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Portal 2: Peer Review  (Read 4996 times)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Portal 2: Peer Review
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:18:52 pm »

Who else is excited about the new free DLC for Portal 2? Personally, I'm re-installing Portal 2 right now.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2: Peer Review
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 02:31:26 pm »

It's pretty much just co-op focused which at the moment does not intrest me one bit, since my friend who I usually play through games with doesn't have it.
The Singleplayer they did add really seemed like a waste of development time to me. Challenge mode is a joke which really only supplies you with a counter of time and portals. Theres no progression like the Portal 1 maps with no clear set goals or objects, just runnin' against the average (which is pretty damn slow). They also didn't bother to remove the cutscenes so it's very annoying if you really want to try and beat the hi-scores.

Personally I found the gameplay lacking a lot in Portal 2 and it often felt like it was holding my hand. A couple of new decent puzzles with varying and interesting ways of sovling would have been great.

I'm not really sure why Valve is pushing the co-op in Portal so much. It really only has the life of 1 virgin run. From there all you can do is mess around or ruin some other virgin's first experience by knowing all the tricks. Co-op maps would be pretty hard to design as well and would have to follow a much more linear problem.
Guess Valve is still trying to palm off that item store? /shrugs.

DISCLAMER: I wasn't saying Portal 2 was bad in anyway. It has a lot of good parts and it's much better than all of the brown shooters that are pumped out today. Just feels like there's a little void that make it feel like something is missing from the game...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:34:47 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »

I'm not really sure why Valve is pushing the co-op in Portal so much. It really only has the life of 1 virgin run. From there all you can do is mess around or ruin some other virgin's first experience by knowing all the tricks. Co-op maps would be pretty hard to design as well and would have to follow a much more linear problem.

Yeah, that always bothered me too.  Portal's co-op is only really fun the first time.  And why they added an item shop into the game boggles my mind.  (Although apparently people have bought stuff from it, so I guess it caters to somebody).
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:08:00 pm »

Yeah, that always bothered me too.  Portal's co-op is only really fun the first time.  And why they added an item shop into the game boggles my mind.  (Although apparently people have bought stuff from it, so I guess it caters to somebody).
Would you prefer an item shop or paid DLC? The money has to come from somewhere.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 04:10:35 pm »

Well, my point is I'm not sure why anybody would use the item shop in a game like this.  If the goal was to fund DLC development, I think paid DLC would be more effective. 

I have trouble believing that enough people bought stickers and hats in the store for a co-op experience they probably would only play 2 or 3 times to pay the level designers salaries.  Most likely it was more of Valves normal "Continue development for some time after release" thing.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:13:48 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:54:37 pm »

It's a track of nine new puzzles.
Sure, that's not a lot of new content, but the five of them I've played so far have been pretty well-designed.  Quality over quantity any day.
If they keep making new tracks like this, I'll be happy.

Proper support for custom maps and tracks (including in co-op) would be amazing too.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:59 pm »

The game is really begging for an easy to use custom map editor and a "vote for your favourite" style map cloud to put the maps in (like happy wheels for example).
With the modular design it's possible to make maps that can compress very efficiently, so it lends itself well to a map cloud on top of making map creation relatively simple.

A lot of people would be very happy if they made community maps easy to create and access.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

The game is really begging for an easy to use custom map editor and a "vote for your favourite" style map cloud to put the maps in (like happy wheels for example).
With the modular design it's possible to make maps that can compress very efficiently, so it lends itself well to a map cloud on top of making map creation relatively simple.

A lot of people would be very happy if they made community maps easy to create and access.

Yea, but so far, there only one game seems to /really/ get how to make a map editor. Thats Halo: Reach, its Forge mode is unparalleled in capability, especially for a console map editor. I wouldn't be shocked, if Valve manage to pull off something like it, but I would be greatly impressed. Its not an easy thing to create.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 06:22:48 pm »

wat?
uh while i haven't used halo reach's forge if its anything at all like halo 3's forge calling it "unparalleled in capability" is pretty laughable, source sdk could use a bit of an update but really its not that hard to use for anyone who is fine with actually looking up things once in a while.

also the new graphs do look kinda neat but it'd be great if they could release some new singleplayer maps as well
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:25:05 pm by cameron »

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:09:06 pm »

Reach Forge is so much better than 3's I lack an analogy for it.
Also where in the hub do I find the new tests? I can't find them.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:58:13 pm »

I hate co-op!

mainly because I can't find players to play with on the pc...
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 10:47:57 pm »

Well, I got on it with my buddy and had a ton of fun with it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:09:28 am »

Yea, but so far, there only one game seems to /really/ get how to make a map editor. Thats Halo: Reach, its Forge mode is unparalleled in capability, especially for a console map editor. I wouldn't be shocked, if Valve manage to pull off something like it, but I would be greatly impressed. Its not an easy thing to create.
I dunno. As someone who has played Warcraft 3 (and used the map editor extensively with that), Starcraft 2 (and got fed up with the BS Battle.net 2.0), and many Bethesda games (new site for every one that comes out, for mods alone), at least Bethesda and Blizzard know how to make an editor.

In Bethesda's case, it's practically the same thing as they use to make the game itself, but still.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 01:24:01 am »

Well, I got on it with my buddy and had a ton of fun with it.

Spoiler: DLC spoils? (click to show/hide)

I do like how the new Hub room is designed to accept more than one batch of puzzles. Quite obviously leaves room for more co-op campaigns in the future. Maybe even a space for user-designed ones?... we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:26:13 am by Lightning4 »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:18 am »

I dunno. As someone who has played Warcraft 3 (and used the map editor extensively with that), Starcraft 2 (and got fed up with the BS Battle.net 2.0), and many Bethesda games (new site for every one that comes out, for mods alone), at least Bethesda and Blizzard know how to make an editor.

In Bethesda's case, it's practically the same thing as they use to make the game itself, but still.

I know that Bethesda games get highly modded, but I wouldnt really call that map editor.

Now Blizards Map editors are fantastic, but, it's not as far reaching Forge mode is, I would argue. Forge in Reach, really lets you create unique geomtries, and maps (though phasing, being able to place game item anywhere), whereas in WC3 or SC2, you're stuck with its geometry, which drastically limits what you can do within.

The most notable thing that was achieved with those editors, and this is including previous Blizard title, is the popularization, and creation of the modern Tower Defense sub genre. Which, is /huge/, dont get me wrong, but with the Forge mode, new games have been made within.

Racing games have been made in Reach (with more first party support), Challenge Maps (Achieve Hunter's Horse videos), Griff Ball, and Forge Art.

I am aware of Art maps in SC1 and WC3 editors, but come on, this is a step way above that.

Also, the Source SDK, isn't a map editor, thats a game engine. Of course a game engine is going to be superior to a map editor. It has Software Development Kit in its name.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#