Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: General Sims Series Discussion  (Read 12923 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: General Sims Series Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »

Starving is stupid. It's much more fun to burn the children to death, then their ghosts come back red and on fire.

May I sig this?

Fine by me.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »

I don't mind.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

Just gonna assume you're okay with me sigging that last post.  This'll never end otherwise.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 12:53:50 am »

The Sims 1, 2, and 3 all rely on psychological addiction rather than promoting creativity and experimentation. Sure, there's a lot to do and stuff to explore, but once you start getting an idea of what there is to be seen, it gets boring. I found Vacations to be reasonably entertaining, but it all eventually came back to a nuclear power plant simulator: One thing needs attention, fix it. Next thing needs attention, fix it. Several things need attention, fix the most important and then the others. Ad infinitum.*

The only real fun that came from the game (For me) was playing it how it wasn't meant to be played: Screwing around and killing people, which I can do in most other games with a great deal more enjoyment.

It's a sandbox of the worst sort - One with thousands of useless tasks you have to repeatedly do while working towards a hazy, not-so-satisfying goal. Once you finish that goal, there's only vague tasks to follow beyond that, and none of those include the sheer thrill of survival (Unless you intentionally or accidentally mess something up). Just point and click. The problem multiplies itself as you add more household members.

That said, when I start playing it, I just can't stop.

Not the game for everyone, certainly, and certainly not something I'd recommend paying full price for, unless you're really into a semi-humorous real life simulator, boring bits included.

*I guess it wouldn't be a bad way to keep nuclear plant workers entertained, though. Homer Simpson might actually (seem to) know what he's doing!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 09:38:01 am »

The Sims 1, 2, and 3 all rely on psychological addiction rather than promoting creativity and experimentation. Sure, there's a lot to do and stuff to explore, but once you start getting an idea of what there is to be seen, it gets boring. I found Vacations to be reasonably entertaining, but it all eventually came back to a nuclear power plant simulator: One thing needs attention, fix it. Next thing needs attention, fix it. Several things need attention, fix the most important and then the others. Ad infinitum.*

The only real fun that came from the game (For me) was playing it how it wasn't meant to be played: Screwing around and killing people, which I can do in most other games with a great deal more enjoyment.

It's a sandbox of the worst sort - One with thousands of useless tasks you have to repeatedly do while working towards a hazy, not-so-satisfying goal. Once you finish that goal, there's only vague tasks to follow beyond that, and none of those include the sheer thrill of survival (Unless you intentionally or accidentally mess something up). Just point and click. The problem multiplies itself as you add more household members.

That said, when I start playing it, I just can't stop.

Not the game for everyone, certainly, and certainly not something I'd recommend paying full price for, unless you're really into a semi-humorous real life simulator, boring bits included.

*I guess it wouldn't be a bad way to keep nuclear plant workers entertained, though. Homer Simpson might actually (seem to) know what he's doing!

A friend of mine only plays the games to build houses.
Sounds quite creative to me.
( Also, he only plays minecraft for the same reason as well.. <_< )

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 10:34:59 am »

The only thing I like was making a large family tree. I always killed the grannies as soon as they have adult children and than move the next generation to a new house.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:46 am »

The only thing I like was making a large family tree. I always killed the grannies as soon as they have adult children and than move the next generation to a new house.

This just made me think of Eugenics.  I wonder how this can be applied to the Sims (3)...
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 10:47:58 am »

Just gonna assume you're okay with me sigging that last post.  This'll never end otherwise.

Can I sig this?
I got nothing

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 11:28:38 am »

Can I sig this?

Yes, yes you can.

I'm also okay with people sigging this post.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2011, 12:52:20 pm »

Has anyone ever tried the "neighborhood from scratch" challenge in Sims 3?

It's played like this, you start with a completely empty neighborhood. Fishing and such is the only way to get money at the beginning.
You also pick a "ruler" family, which collects the funds from other families and uses it to make community lots and rabbitholes.

So it can take some time to get some usefulness into the neighborhood, but it's all worth it. There is that feeling of being proud when looking at a grocery store and saying: "Yep. I earned that store myself." It really feels like your town is slowly evolving.

Of course, it takes much patience.

I'd say AwesomeMod is recommended, if not necessary, since it allows you to control multiple families at once. And perhaps NRaas' Master Controller, for transferring the money to the central family and such.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 01:04:39 pm »

What are yer people's favorite add-ons? In any sim-game.

My favorite by far is the Makin' Magic. By far. I mean, by a long shot. It was just plain awesome.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »

What are yer people's favorite add-ons? In any sim-game.

My favorite by far is the Makin' Magic for The Sims (1). By far. I mean, by a long shot. It was just plain awesome.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »

Can I sig this?

Yes, yes you can.

I'm also okay with people sigging this post.

I don't want to sig this, but can I sig your sig?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 01:41:33 pm »

A friend of mine only plays the games to build houses.
Sounds quite creative to me.

This is how I used to play. I made some weird houses. But then my saves got corrupted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8