Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: General Sims Series Discussion  (Read 12895 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: General Sims Series Discussion
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »

Just gonna assume you're okay with me sigging that last post.  This'll never end otherwise.

Can I sig this?

Yes, yes you can.

I'm also okay with people sigging this post.

I don't want to sig this, but can I sig your sig?

Everyone can sig everything!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2011, 02:18:50 pm »

Love, scriver~

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 02:19:39 pm »

My mom used to spend hours in the character builder, making families, then give herself infinite money to build houses. (This was when I was a little kid, she doesn't anymore.)

I like the games because I can lock the CPS agent into a room with no doors, leaving her to pee on herself and eventually die.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »

Makin' Magic had pet dragons. That ate garbage. They were perfect.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 05:41:48 pm »

I just played Sims 3 my first time, i wanted to make an evil genius type so I took the expected traits and went to work as a criminal. I made so little money I was pretty much never able to do anything, and then i got old. I still had the same crappy house, I was always poor. How do you do anything at all before you get old? Do you pass your goals on to your offspring or something? I dont get it.
I got nothing

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »

I just played Sims 3 my first time, i wanted to make an evil genius type so I took the expected traits and went to work as a criminal. I made so little money I was pretty much never able to do anything, and then i got old. I still had the same crappy house, I was always poor. How do you do anything at all before you get old? Do you pass your goals on to your offspring or something? I dont get it.

You can change the aging in the options menu.
There is a slider which you can decide how long a sim's life should be.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2011, 05:53:39 pm »

Jobs are actually a pretty shitty way for earning money. They're only good for the special rewards. Unless, that is, if you're high on the corporate ladder, setting up meeting can net you tons of money.

If you have some EPs, it's even easier. Ambitions is the best for that. The sculpting is really easy to get and nets you around 3000-5000 per statue in the end. Time-travelling and mining is also great. If you have World Adventures, find some Tiberium. Those are worth a fuckton, especially if you leave it to grow. I've heard Nectar Making can be quite nice there too. Other EPs aren't as profitable.

Without EPs, I guess there's still collecting. That can net some nice amounts of cash, especially good if you have AwesomeMod's "Supreme Commander", which can set your sim into auto-pilot.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2011, 06:23:49 pm »

I really wish they had more facial hair (and hair in general) options in sims 3. I'm tired of the stardard copstache and stubletee. I want handlebar's, fu man chu's, and viking beards damnit. Goddammit, I want This.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »

Jobs are actually a pretty shitty way for earning money. They're only good for the special rewards. Unless, that is, if you're high on the corporate ladder, setting up meeting can net you tons of money.

If you have some EPs, it's even easier. Ambitions is the best for that. The sculpting is really easy to get and nets you around 3000-5000 per statue in the end. Time-travelling and mining is also great. If you have World Adventures, find some Tiberium. Those are worth a fuckton, especially if you leave it to grow. I've heard Nectar Making can be quite nice there too. Other EPs aren't as profitable.

Without EPs, I guess there's still collecting. That can net some nice amounts of cash, especially good if you have AwesomeMod's "Supreme Commander", which can set your sim into auto-pilot.

All I have is World Adventures, but it sounds like I have some good options with that one. I will just have to figure out how to get enough money together to travel. A question I have is what did people do before the EP's came out? Just adjust the slider? If so, why even have that slider? Seems the default life span is just way too short. I dont see how anyone could achieve just one of their life goals on the default setting, let alone all of them. I will adjust it now, thanks for thew tip everyone.

Also, what is Tiberium? Will I find it at any of the locations? I know the nectar stuff is found in France.

I got nothing

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

If so, why even have that slider? Seems the default life span is just way too short. I dont see how anyone could achieve just one of their life goals on the default setting, let alone all of them. I will adjust it now, thanks for thew tip everyone.

For sake of challenge.
Easy mode is to disable aging entirely (tough children wont grow then).
And hardest would be the shortest life in sim history ever.

So it's all about how you want to play.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:47 pm »

Actually, I think the slider's there so people can have long-lived sims but switch back to the minimum once they start to breed, because infants are frigging annoying on the longest setting.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2011, 12:24:50 am »

Alternatively, you can take up gardening, fishing, and cooking. Gardening eventually gets you Life Fruit, Fishing gives you Death Fish, both of which you can make into Ambrosia, which resets your life meter without changing the aging options and makes your Sims extremely happy.

I remember starting up a garden in the garden outside my high rise and queuing a few dozen things for my Sim to do - Harvest, Fertilize with Best Fertilizer, Water, in that order. I had the good luck for my guy to harvest a life fruit at a low skill level, and the bad luck for him to immediately use it to fertilize his tomatoes. It made me a little sad, because that was the first time I'd ever seen a life fruit, and I barely got to hover my mouse over it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2011, 01:30:21 am »

Has anyone ever tried the "neighborhood from scratch" challenge in Sims 3?

It's played like this, you start with a completely empty neighborhood. Fishing and such is the only way to get money at the beginning.
You also pick a "ruler" family, which collects the funds from other families and uses it to make community lots and rabbitholes.

So it can take some time to get some usefulness into the neighborhood, but it's all worth it. There is that feeling of being proud when looking at a grocery store and saying: "Yep. I earned that store myself." It really feels like your town is slowly evolving.

Of course, it takes much patience.

I'd say AwesomeMod is recommended, if not necessary, since it allows you to control multiple families at once. And perhaps NRaas' Master Controller, for transferring the money to the central family and such.

How do you do that?  Do you have to adjust a certain setting?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2011, 03:10:06 am »

A friend of mine only plays the games to build houses.
Sounds quite creative to me.

This is how I used to play. I made some weird houses. But then my saves got corrupted.

This is also what I did back in the old days. My brothers would task me to build houses for them, since they were too lazy to do that themselves. I probably spent more time in the build and buy modes of each game (Sims 1, 2, 3) than actually play the game in live mode itself.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2011, 08:03:50 am »

I've got this perfectionism thing going where I can't actually start playing until I've got my sim and his/her house perfect, so I'll tend to spend a couple of hours on that and not even start live mode until the next day...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8