Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron the Card Game  (Read 4654 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron the Card Game
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 07:53:57 pm »

That's inherent in any TCG/CCG.  It's really not as bad with this game, as you need a solid base of the common cards in nearly any deck- you'd be hard pressed to build a good deck without using any commons.  (Besides basic land factories, of course.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 10:53:30 am »

I know, I just find a bit overwhelming to be pitted against several ultra duper rares and even foil commons, if only for the psychological effect. Maybe I should trade my last unopened booster for a heap of infantry cards. Yeah, I think I'll do that. Could a booster fetch me ~30 infantry split evenly between 2 factions?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:19 am »

Probably.  Ask around for someone who wants to trade "5+" cards (you can only put 5 of each non-factory card in a deck, so more don't do you any good.)  Alternately, you could swap out rares from the side you don't play for said cards and keep the booster.  (I did that and got quite a few cards to cover my bases.  I did get lucky and pulled a useful rare from one booster and Patton from another, though.) 
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »

Oh, I thought generic infantry worked like factories in that regard.

As far as trading, my 3*s are as follows:

Artillery smoke
C47 Skytrain (my favorite card, super handy)
17-pounder ATG
Fire superiority

Tiger
Panther (got this one from a booster, looks like a slightly worse Tiger)
Blitzkrieg

IS-2
85mm AA
Massive attack

I haven't decided on a faction yet, I like/suck with all three. If anyone wants an easy peasy match I go by the handler “Muesli”.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 03:59:31 pm »

Artillery smoke is a four star ultra-rare. A very good card, I would hang on to it if I were you.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 04:36:11 pm »

Played in an 8-man tourney last night.  I mostly got stomped, but my third round opponent had disconnected, meaning I came away with one match win and a prize of a booster. 
I was there too, man. My first match was pretty epic - I spent about 16 minutes winning the first game, before getting a factoryless hand in game two, which I surrendered quickly to save time. I managed to win game 3 with just 3 minutes to spare at the end.
 Things went downhill in match two  - I was up against the eventual winner, and despite quickly racking up 6 vps, I made a boneheaded mistake at a crucial moment, discarding my only cheap infantry card when my hand was full. I had one unpinned factory available at the time - playing the infantry would have allowed me an additional attack that turn, keeping the pressure up and possibly killing his last defender, a pinned engineer. He drew more infantry next turn to stabilise his position, with the lethal engineer unit acting as a powerful bulwark. Before long he was able to take control of the battlefield and win with his stronger cards. I lost game two pretty quickly, being short of time once again.
 If match two was hellish, match three was more like purgatory. A mirror match up, I was playing another deck full of cheap infantry but low on lethal damage, meaning the game would be very long and drawn out. I managed to win the first game, but spending 18 minutes to do so was fatal. My opponent had a 5 minute advantage going into game two, and I would end up forfeiting the match on time, whilst on 6 vps, in the attack phase with a guaranteed win on the board - with a few more minutes available I would have been able to send over 3 attacks, the first two knocking out his defenders, the third going through unopposed and giving me the win. But not to be, about three minutes on the clock was the difference between gaining one booster and four boosters. :(

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 05:14:55 pm »

I've built up a decent stockpile of commons overcards. Free if anyone needs them.

General:
7 x * Combined Arms
1 x * Runway Cratering

Commintern:
1 x * Infantry
2 x * Militia
1 x * Mines
1 x * PTRD Anti Tank Rifle
1 x * Tank hunters
1 x * 45mm ATG
1 x * 37mm AA

Allies:
1 x * Vickers Wellington
4 x * Vickers MMG
2 x * M4 Sherman
3 x * Infantry
1 x * 2-pounder ATG

Axis:
2 x * Infanterie
1 x * StuG IIIB

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »

Finally!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 10:33:09 pm »

Got my 7-match reward today, and got lucky again- another 88mm Flak I'd been wanting and a Zhukov to go with my Patton.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 01:02:37 am »

So this thread interested me, and I decided to sign up.

Wow, I am getting rocked.

Thus far, the best I've managed is two points on the enemy, then getting ground down to dust.

I think I'm taking my "you can never have too much land" philosophy from Magic too far. I've got to stop thinking of factories as just land, when it's really closer to playing with multiple colors with the different types of units. Several games now have ended because having 5 factories in my hand isn't helping anyone.

Also got hit with a nasty effect last game - card that let my opponent swap out my attack plan for 'infantry attack' instead of doing damage. I ended up with a number of really impressive tanks and planes on the ground... but sadly, they weren't going anywhere.

Must rework decks.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »

Casual games not only give you a great idea of what works and what doesn't, but also they count toward getting you a free pack a week.  I know my deck has gotten better every time I've played it.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

Scored a Zhukov and Nashorn from two boosters. Too bad I only got a handful of useful cards for the Allies fire support deck I'm running.

Also got hit with a nasty effect last game - card that let my opponent swap out my attack plan for 'infantry attack' instead of doing damage. I ended up with a number of really impressive tanks and planes on the ground... but sadly, they weren't going anywhere.

That was "officer attrition", right? I guess you can't do much about HQ cards. Having at least two doctrines or more on the field is a must, though: one to break the enemy's defenses and the other ones to score kills and/or win VPs.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 06:25:36 pm »

Scored a Zhukov and Nashorn from two boosters. Too bad I only got a handful of useful cards for the Allies fire support deck I'm running.
I have an allied counter-battery fire for that deck, I'm looking for a commintern engineer if you have one.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2011, 12:11:20 am »

I just played a second tournament - I had a close game in round one that I forfeited on time in the second game, having won the first - it's an annoying feature of tournaments that the most interesting games get decided in this way. I got slaughtered in round two against one of the veteran players, and finally had a straightforward win in round three.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:54 am »

I have an allied counter-battery fire for that deck, I'm looking for a commintern engineer if you have one.

Not a single red engineer, no.  :'(

It's one of the reasons I haven't created a Comintern deck yet, Zhukov or not I can't do jack shit without the versatile killing power of engies.
Pages: 1 [2] 3