Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hearts of Iron the Card Game  (Read 4652 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Hearts of Iron the Card Game
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:18:01 pm »

So apparently Paradox has been making a browser based card game based on their Hearts of Iron games... well its apparently released...

http://hoitcg.com

Haven't done too much just looking at the cards so far and opening the 3 booster packs you get.

Also if you sign up before Oct. 17th you get 3 cards (one for each of the 3 nations) for free. So that's cool I guess.

Edit: it seems as though that for non-practice games you have to pay real money for tickets which is kinda meh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:55:13 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hearts of Iron the Card Game
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:38:22 am »

It seems like their model is very similar to that used by Magic: the Gathering Online - ie you buy the cards, can play practice/casual games for free but have to pay for 'tickets' to enter tournaments with prizes.

What remains to be seen is whether they will follow Magic in releasing huge numbers of new cards in expansion sets a couple of times per year so you have to spend a small fortune on cards to remain competitive.

On on hand, it's a WW2 setting, so I guess there is only a limited amount of new stuff they can add while still retaining historical accuracy.

On the other hand, if there is little change and the available card pool remains relatively static, I expect the game will quickly stagnate as players figure out how to build the best decks, and competitive play will degenerate to the same few decks playing against each other again and again.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:57 am »

Seems fine, though as one would expect,none of the pubbies (public players) has any clue what they are doing or how to end there flippin turns.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:51:06 am »

I'm usually all over anything they make. But for this one, I'm very worried about the things Moron mentioned. . .

Registered on day one but haven't actually done more than poke around the cards a little.  :P
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:54 pm »

Bump. I'm having some fun with this - I've managed to build a pretty effective allied deck out of my starting cards . It's very satisfying to beat up decks full of nasty rares like Maskirovka using my humble commons. The interface takes some getting used to, you will probably be sick of drag and drop after a few games - also there are a number of times when the game waits for you to do something when you actually don't have any legal moves other than ending the turn (as I think ThtblovesDF has discovered). The actual game is a fairly elegant combination of several simple mechanics, definitely worth checking out if you're a turn based strategy fan. The need for specific unit types to carry out your doctrines (and gain VPs) gives the game a unique Hearts of Iron-esque feel - it's a CCG mechanic I've not run into before, and is well suited to the WWII setting.

My user name is baruk at Paradox, if any of you want to trade some commons, let me know. Whenever I try trading in their online app, people immediately grab my only copy of Nebelwurfer (a 3-star rare) - they don't seem interested in the low level trades unfortunately. One problem with the starter decks can be a lack of infantry if you are unlucky (infantry is utterly crucial in this game system) - if we can get a few Bay 12 people on board, then we can probably focus our resources better and make our decks somewhat more viable.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:16:32 pm by baruk »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:19 pm »

Have a pretty fancy deck from winning all my competitiveness (sadly, no ranked yet)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:43:14 pm »

I played with a started nazi deck and I had no idea what to do. Luckily there was a really helpful guy on the other end of the internet who was willing to explain the game to me.
It is quite a cool game. The goal seems to be to kill all enemy infantry as you can only defend with them.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:18:00 pm »

Bump for important news:
New reward system up!
2011-11-03

The Card Game has recieved an update that will enable both casual and cardcore players to slowly expand their amount of cards simply by playing the game. This new reward system keeps track of the player's amount of matches in a week, and when the quota of 7 matches has been filled, the player is awarded with a card booster pack and two tickets that are used for playing competitive matches.

Free cards every week for playing a few games, not a bad deal. My free booster had an infantry probe doctrine which I'd been looking for, and a sherman jumbo for the allied armour deck I might make one day.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:40 pm »

I played an axis versus axis game today against a guy who had 5 of the Terminator-like SS Panzergrenadiers (they have the "stubborn" ability, which lets them deal damage even when pinned or wounded), and I managed to win! I think his mistake may have been to keep bringing in powerful damage dealers into battle from his reserves to "surprise" me, when perhaps they would have been better off used normally - hard to say though without knowing all his options. I was quite happy to see nasty support guns like Nashorn and Wespe being sacrificed to knock out my humble STuG IIIBs. I simply outdrew him in the end, at a certain point his infantry just dried up leaving him defenceless, but not before he played out all 5 of his Volksgrenadiers - his deck was chock-full of tank hate.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:16:44 pm »

How do I start not sucking? I keep getting stomped.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 12:23:45 am »

It's interesting- takes a bit longer than I expected, but it looks reasonably deep.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:03:23 am »

How do I start not sucking? I keep getting stomped.
It can be very difficult to have much success with the starter decks, as you rarely will have anywhere near enough infantry. I started winning games more often after I reinforced my decks with a bunch of spare infantry commons donated to me by one of the serious collectors. It also took quite a few games to figure out the nuances of the game system. I'm still learning new things, like in the last game where I discovered that ss panzergrenadiers can deal damage twice in the same battle.

There's a useful guide here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?549676-The-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Hearts-of-Iron-TCG
 He recommends building a deck with 1/3 factories, 1/3 defence, 1/3 offence. For me, the most important rule is to have at least 20 infantry in a 60 card deck, I would then add in 10 or so support cards for a fairly robust defence - but most of these cards will also be usable on the attack.
Here's an example of a couple of 60 card decks I've built. I haven't listed the specific cards, but the proportions I've used should give you an idea of what you should be aiming for. The axis has a serious advantage in terms of dual-usage cards eg. tank/infantry and tank/support cards, which make fulfilling their objectives that much easier. If you're making a Comintern combined arms deck, you will just have to take out some infantry for more tanks, since they are lacking in dual-usage units.

"Blitz 2", an axis blitzkrieg/combined arms deck
3 doctrines
2 ammunition factories
15 regular factories
4 air units
21 regular infantry
12 support units
3 tanks

Defensively, 33 units:
21 infantry
12 support

On the offence, 40 units:
4 air units
3 tanks
21 infantry
12 support
note: 11 units usable as tanks in total

I start out with combined arms in play, as it is difficult to get the blitzkrieg going with only 4 planes. I discovered that most of the time, I would end up simply discarding the planes and never using the blitzkrieg in the deck.
 I then made the following deck, which ditches the blitzkrieg doctrine in favour of more infantry:

"Berlin", a combined arms axis deck
3 doctrines
2 ammunition factories
14 regular factories
23 regular infantry
1 defence only infantry
13 regular support units
3 defence only support units
1 tank

Defensively, 40 units:
24 infantry
16 support

On the offence, 37 units:
1 tank
23 infantry
13 support
note: 9 units usable as tanks in total

For simplicity's sake I haven't taken into account several important features, mainly the damage potential of the units and the unit cost. Playing blitzkrieg essentially means having to sacrifice infantry slots for more planes and tanks, but your compensation is your ability to hammer your opponent with multiple lethal damage dealers.

A side note, my Berlin deck has cards of the following rarity:
48 one star commons
10 two star uncommons
2 three star rares

The deck I beat the other day must have had 20 or more three star rares: ss panzergrenadiers, wespe, nashorn (actually a four-star rare!), nebelwerfer, counterbattery fire, propaganda machine, strosstruppen. So there's still hope for the casual player in this system. If you have a balanced deck and play well, you can give anybody a game.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:12:07 pm »

That's one thing they have done well- rare cards aren't overwhelmingly better than non-rares.  That's an affliction that plagues many online CCGs (Tyrant springs to mind.)  It may be in how it reflects reality- if you don't have a solid base of regular infantry, you aren't going to win, even with all the fancy tanks and airplanes in the world.

Played my first game last night, and put up a good game but lost to superior airpower in the end.  Tweaked my deck (now that I have a semblance of an idea of what to do) and will be giving it another shot soon.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 01:20:44 pm »

Played in an 8-man tourney last night.  I mostly got stomped, but my third round opponent had disconnected, meaning I came away with one match win and a prize of a booster.  They're bracketed, but not single elimination, so you get a reward as long as you win one match (and only one person can lose all three.)  Winning nets you eight boosters, two match wins with four, and one with one.  Semi-weekly official ones are hosted, with the winner getting promo cards as well as the usual rewards.

I'm still sucking, but I'm working on tweaking my combined arms Axis deck to be a little faster.

Evaristo Carriego

• Bay Watcher
  • Gelder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:03 pm »

Pretty nifty little game, wish there would be more people freebers to play against. I'm getting my shit stomped by pay-to-win decks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:26:07 pm by Evaristo Carriego »
Pages: [1] 2 3