Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Father watches on as mother dissects her newborn son.  (Read 1081 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Father watches on as mother dissects her newborn son.
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:46 pm »

I want to know how to deal with the children in DF. My dorfs keep on popping them out and it's just getting out of hand. I would just kill them, but that will send the parents into insanity. Also, why are they giving birth when there hasn't been a single marrige in the fort?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Father watches on as mother dissects her newborn son.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »

Holy shit, I thought this was in the General Discussion board for a few seconds.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »

I want to know how to deal with the children in DF. My dorfs keep on popping them out and it's just getting out of hand. I would just kill them, but that will send the parents into insanity. Also, why are they giving birth when there hasn't been a single marrige in the fort?

You say there hasn't been a single marriage in the fort, but do you mean after you embarked?  I'm pretty sure dwarves can arrive in migrant waves married.

Otherwise, can't you set an option to limit the number of children in your fort?  It won't get rid of the existing ones, but should keep any new ones from being born.  It's a separate setting from the pop cap if I recall correctly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:10 pm »

There may have been marriages that "skipped any ceremony" if you had no place to party, making them very easy to miss -- check the relationships of a child, then the relationships of one of its parents: you'll probably see them married

There are a couple things you can do
1) You can turn the child cap down so you can only have n children at a time, or n% of your fortress' adult population in children
2) You can let them do menial jobs that they'll do as they grow up into adults in 12 years time, ready for whatever you use unskilled adults for (minus the ones that got fey moods, who will be legendary craftsdwarfs).  This is what I do.
3) You can put them through "dwarven child care" in an attempt to create super-soldiers.  This will probably kill a lot of them, so make sure you have plenty of happiness boosters for your adults to counteract the bad thoughts.
4) You can put them up for adoption and wait for their new goblin parents to take them off your hands.  The goblins will be so pleased with this that they'll shortly send you large shipments of goblinite.  Their neglectful biological parents might not care for your choice of foster homes, though, so have happiness boosters.
5) You can give them a playpen of magmatic happiness, a lovely menacing spike playground, or some other ‼fun‼ room.  As with 3 and 4, parents will not take kindly, so take precautions.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 11:02:49 pm »

aw :( from the title I thought you had a surgeon doctor that was vivisecting her son to try and "fix" some injury while the dad did nothing... this is kinda dissapointing
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!