Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 5x5 embark with spire and all amenities (Plateau)  (Read 1666 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
5x5 embark with spire and all amenities (Plateau)
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »

Enjoy this custom 5x5 embark. Steps away from a 100+-z adamantium spire. A short commute to an equally-tall magma pipe. Heavily-forested temperate-to-cool plateau with a beautiful waterfall crashing down to 13z below. Built on an aquifered clay and soil base with iron and flux bedrock foundation. Near all the civilizations.

Serious inquiries only.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5016

cats are OK - purrr
dogs are OK - wooof
it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:42:34 pm by numerobis »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: 5x5 embark with spire and all amenities (Plateau)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »

Tell me, how many layers are there to this aquifer?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »

I haven't gotten to it yet; the magma pipe is draining out, which rather slows things down.  It's not entirely clear it matters: given the topography, you can just walk down to the lower river and be in metamorphic layers already.

Caevin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:37 am »

I appreciate this, it sounds nice. However, I must ask a burning question: How will this help me get some action?

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:03:40 am »

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's going on with the magma pipe? Will it eventually refill to its original level?
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 06:26:49 am »

I took a look at this one using some ground penetrating radar techniques (dfhack!), and it seems that the magma sea is draining down to the clowns. I suppose solidifying the magma sea might be an option to remedy the lag. Bring on the water, alright? (You could also use dfliquids to work that magic)

Tiv
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »

I appreciate this, it sounds nice. However, I must ask a burning question: How will this help me get some action?
That's between you and... you.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what's going on with the magma pipe? Will it eventually refill to its original level?
I guessed what tivec is confirming, that it's draining out the bottom of the world.  The magma refills, but not fast enough to keep up with the drain rate.

I don't actually remember the physics of magma pipes: do they refill from the top at a fixed altitude, or do they refill from 1z above the current top of the magma?  If the former, then you could build a floor and get your own personal self-refilling magma pool.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 12:36:24 am »

Usually it's a fairly simple matter to simply wall off the holes in the sea with DFliquids by spawning obsidian walls. Then use it to refill the pipes to where they should be.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:26:11 am »

So the REALLY burning question is.
With a bigass waterfall, an adamantine spire a leaking magma pipe and a 5x5 embark. How high is your fps? 12?
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »

20-30 FPS on my box.  Sometimes for a few frames it drops to about 15.

The burning question for me is: are the clowns coming?

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 12:55:17 am »

Science reveals: the magma pipe refills from its own top.  I let the magma fall below the fortress, then pumped a bunch of water into the pipe.  After a few dozen cave-ins, the pipe is stopped up.  But it isn't refilling above the stopper: it's refilling below it.

No matter; I siphoned off enough magma to power a mighty industry.

Oh, and tivec: the pipe is emptying into hell, or just into the caverns?  Seems to be the latter.  Dwarven technology is so advanced it seems like magic: when you drop water into magma it creates a deep magma probe that, if it isn't connected to anything, explores all the way down to the SMR.  I see caverns but no clowns.

FPS is in the mid-30s now, one game-year in.  It freezes for a frame or two when the magma opens up a new level, then goes up to speed again.  The FPS has been increasing as the magma drains, so it should be pretty good in another year or so when the pipe stops draining.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:04:09 am by numerobis »