Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Destined for DF  (Read 2761 times)

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destined for DF
« on: October 04, 2011, 06:24:49 pm »

Today while reading the "You Are All Monsters Thread" I realized, yes I am a monster. After playing DF for a couple months that was already quite apparent. What occurred to me was just how long I've been a monster.
I now distinctly remember playing Sims 3 when I was 7 (yeah, I'm kinda young) and my only source of income for my  drop-out kids, unemployed parents family, was my pool in the backyard with a diving board and no ladder. I would invite anybody that walked by the house to go for a nice swim. They would jump in to swim, realize there was no ladder and would (not so) promptly drown. I could then sell their grave/urn that immediately popped up for 50 dollars. Looking back on this, I realize just how similar this was to so many of the day to day undertakings of DF players, hence my top z-level to lowest z-level tower (or at least to the layer right above magma) that I'm in the process of building, purely because I like watching kitten and puppy limbs fly all over the place. So, does anybody else feel like their oncoming sociopathy might have been present for a while before they even discovered DF?
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Destined for DF
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:15 pm »

My totally epic speech(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94265.15) i made just a bit ago should prove to be a sufficient answer.

If anything, i'm probably to sympathetic too be playing be playing DF.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:37:52 pm »

I could then sell their grave/urn that immediately popped up for 50 dollars.

I fucking lol'd.

I realised right about here. Now I'm bored if I'm not seeing blood of various colours spread 30 meters in every direction.

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:39:13 pm »

I could then sell their grave/urn that immediately popped up for 50 dollars.

I fucking lol'd.

I realised right about here. Now I'm bored if I'm not seeing blood of various colours spread 30 meters in every direction.
No wonder my parents always worried about me...

But that miscarriage idea doesn't sound like a bad one. One of the more humane ways of reducing FPS lag for that matter.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:56:24 pm »

I now distinctly remember playing Sims 3 when I was 7 (yeah, I'm kinda young)

You're 9?

Sims 3 came out in 2009.

Holy hell, I could barely figure out how to get through the Water Temple in Ocarina of time when I was 9, let alone play Dwarf Fortress.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:00 pm »

I now distinctly remember playing Sims 3 when I was 7 (yeah, I'm kinda young)

You're 9?

Sims 3 came out in 2009.

Holy hell, I could barely figure out how to get through the Water Temple in Ocarina of time when I was 9, let alone play Dwarf Fortress.

I was about to say the same thing, exept it would be the water temple from Majora's mask.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:15 pm »

If he's 9, then he's the most literate 9-year-old i've ever seen. Seriously, i've seen 20-year-olds hoo fukin talk liek dis lolol.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:09:03 pm »

I still shudder in fear of what would have happened to me had I not found DF. My life would have been very very dull.

I always felt attracted to games where you actually had to go underground, such as dungeon keeper and others, and where sadism was rewarded, such as black and white (1 and 2). Heh, I just loved throwing those peasants around when they took too long to do something.

If he's 9, then he's the most literate 9-year-old i've ever seen. Seriously, i've seen 20-year-olds hoo fukin talk liek dis lolol.

He is one badass kid, that is for sure. I've seen older people typing like that... and calling me an idiot because I am obsessive when it comes to writing/typing correctly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 08:30:34 pm »

Well, shit.

I think i may be the only one here who doesn't feel a rush of pleasure from watching my video game characters suffer. This is awkward....

In DF i always strive to have the most successful fort possible, while trying to have my dwarves lead somewhat enjoyable lives.

When my little brother got Sims 3 for his birthday and wanted me to play with him, i eventually started trying to become the most powerful person in the town. With a kickass mansion i built from scratch, i might add. None of that trailer trash starting house bullshit.

In Black&White 2, i walled myself in and tried making life a paradise for all who resided within, i remember how happy i felt knowing that i was defeating the other rulers purely because their civilisations looked like crap compared to mine.
God i loved my giant wolf....

I could go on and on about all my obsession with wanting to be the best/provide the best for any little game character i have control of. I don't mind mercilessly slaughtering those who dare try to harm the little buggers too much, though.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 08:39:02 pm »

You aren't quite alone.  I may play tough-overseer, but really my progressed fort an overall happy place: dwarves are ecstatic, the semimegaproject is only a little behind schedule, we're wealthy and well-defended.  I know I'm planning to breach the HFS on them, but that's because, having gotten my (lack of a) monarch, I feel as though this fort's story is complete -- and the dwarves just picking up and fleeing from a perfectly good paradise makes little sense to me as a writer... the story of the fortress has to end with a bang.  My next non-‼Science‼ fort will have a more ambitious goal, and maybe its history will be written in blood and glory but that's for the RNG to decide as much as for me -- it's at least certain that I'll be trying to keep dwarves alive and happy no matter what hell they embark onto.

The fun isn't from the losing and death itself for me, it's from the challenge that can prove too great.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

carabide

• Bay Watcher
  • Want to see my Wabbajack?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 08:58:31 pm »

This game made me the Dwarf I am today.
Diagnosis screen: Inoperable rot in the head.

Urist McPeasantDoctor: WE NEED TO AMPUTATE!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »

Well, shit.

I think i may be the only one here who doesn't feel a rush of pleasure from watching my video game characters suffer. This is awkward....

In DF i always strive to have the most successful fort possible, while trying to have my dwarves lead somewhat enjoyable lives.

When my little brother got Sims 3 for his birthday and wanted me to play with him, i eventually started trying to become the most powerful person in the town. With a kickass mansion i built from scratch, i might add. None of that trailer trash starting house bullshit.

In Black&White 2, i walled myself in and tried making life a paradise for all who resided within, i remember how happy i felt knowing that i was defeating the other rulers purely because their civilisations looked like crap compared to mine.
God i loved my giant wolf....

I could go on and on about all my obsession with wanting to be the best/provide the best for any little game character i have control of. I don't mind mercilessly slaughtering those who dare try to harm the little buggers too much, though.
Oh aye, sadism doesn't have to be directed at the dwarves under your care. While a lot of players have shining stories of cruelty upon their dwarves, probably those same players also have magnanimous bastions of wealth and safety to talk of. Just that the latter means cruelty and sadism upon the goblins and optionally, the elves (they make useful trash collectors if kept alive).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:59 pm »

I've played/watched my older cousin play the Sims since I was a wee lad, and I've always loved playing the "cruel god". Last time I played 3 I made three brothers with the specific intent to kill them in different ways, then get a chick to come by and have three different ghost children. I drowned one, burned one, and electrocuted one, then had her sleep with all three. It was a rousing success, actually. the children were born ghosts (think that counts as a miscarriage?) and I actually quit before they grew up because the game was taking up too much space.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

Yes. In most of my games, I'd do things in an eccentric and excessive manner.

What? The Terran have no more SCV's and only their HQ remains? Let them build SCV's till they starve themselves!

What? The terrorist is shooting at me? Time to blow is legs off! Let the bastard bleed to death!

Oh, the king wants to see me? What's going through his mind... oh I know! MY BOOT!

Huh, a car chase? No state-the-obvious tutorial lady, I don't want to outrun them, I want to drown them!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh aye, sadism doesn't have to be directed at the dwarves under your care. While a lot of players have shining stories of cruelty upon their dwarves, probably those same players also have magnanimous bastions of wealth and safety to talk of. Just that the latter means cruelty and sadism upon the goblins and optionally, the elves (they make useful trash collectors if kept alive).

I see my dwarves as a bunch little retarded children. Incredibly strong, and able to handle only simple tasks on their own. So i feel like a dick if i start killing all them off for no reason. That, mixed with my intense fear of failure, and my desire to have unmatched power, and i tend to try and be the absolute greatest at whatever it is i'm interested in.

I mean, Sure, they may stand on the wrong side of the wall they're building, effectively trapping themselves. But they're too stupid to know any better.
and yeah, they may tear a friend's head off when they fail a mood, but they just don't know how to properly express their emotions.

Eh, you may be right though. No matter what, someone's gonna end up a mutilated corpse on the floor. Unless....

I think just came up with a new challenge....
Pages: [1] 2 3