Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Rage about Rage  (Read 3513 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rage about Rage
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »

Rough launch, especially for those with ATI cards. Anyone playing on pc or one of the consoles? I am installing now, but am not optimistic because I have the minimum specs(sort of) and even those with great specs seem to be getting hit/miss results.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:34:02 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Rage from id
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »

Yeah, to be honest I'm pretty surprised.  I was expecting things to be a bit smoother considering this is ID software.

I didn't get it because I figured Dark Souls(and a bunch of other upcoming releases) would probably keep me busy till the steam winter sale.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

Surprised considering how long this thing has been in development. Proof I guess even Carmack and Co. can't provide a stable release these days, or that no one is taking compatibility seriously enough :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:39 pm »

After seeing an awful lot of new AAA games lately having crash releases because of incompatibility with ATI cards, I'm starting to wonder if consumers shouldn't be blaming ATI instead of developers.  What is it about ATIs that leads to so many development problems?  Is it just that game studios don't use them?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:48:28 pm »

After seeing an awful lot of new AAA games lately having crash releases because of incompatibility with ATI cards, I'm starting to wonder if consumers shouldn't be blaming ATI instead of developers.  What is it about ATIs that leads to so many development problems?  Is it just that game studios don't use them?

I would like to know this too, but from a technical standpoint. What problems do modern ATI cards inherently present?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 03:04:41 pm »

The primary reason I keep hearing from friends is that Nvidia offers a lot more support and partnerships to publishers and to a lesser extent dev studios. One of the big things they bring to the table is their testing lab with an enormous amount of system configurations to test the games on as well as lending key members of the Nvidia engineering team to advise. ATI has caught on and is offering a limited amount of similar services, but it has been slow to get the ball rolling. The end result is that Nvidia is a better partner for most studios to utilize and ATI testing becomes de-prioritized.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »

I was considering picking this up while I was grabbing Dark Souls but I've got enough games on my plate as it is. Might grab it when the price comes down though, depending on people's impressions. Trailers were giving off a distinctly boarderlands vibe to me, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't actually a good representation. Seems more standard action, less RPG-ish which is actually kind of a downside to me. Shooters are a dime a dozen these days... But again, I'd like some actual opinions on the game.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 03:33:21 pm »

let's not take this as a real review, I've only installed it and played 10 mins of the intro so far........

let the class action law suit start! Maybe not, but this is easily the worst offense by a major trusted studio to date. This game should not have been released in 2011. I am hopeful that the following issues can be easily adjusted, but I am not holding my breath.

1) Texture streaming is broken AND a bad choice. Turn left or right and you will see plain textures for 1 second until the detailed ones are loaded. This is unforgiveable when you consider Doom 3 didn't have this issue and looked just as good.

2) Yup, graphics look like Doom 3 and Borderlands had a baby, which isn't a problem unless your selling point is based on graphics.

3) Sound and lip sync are both off signifigantly for myself and many many others. Music at triggered waypoints completely cuts the ongoing diaglogue that was explaining what is going on.

4) Physics seems to be off too unless it is also a problem of streaming textures getting loaded slowly and further aggrivated by audio delay.

Strange that these problems exist on the MAJORITY of systems, whether they be consoles or pc(with ATI having the most issues) and yet the company claims to be shocked by this. If a movie is released with bad audio or a book has missing pages we don't let them get away with it. Where are our governing bodies to protect our rights as consumers?

NOTE: edited the title to fit
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:38:53 pm by hemmingjay »

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rage about Rage
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 03:42:07 pm »

I'm... completely unsurprised? It seems almost every game these days is released in beta format, and gets patched (if you're lucky) and DLC'd to a completed state. I'd expect some major patches to come to smooth out the experience and fix the ATI bugs at least.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:59:01 pm »

"These days"? Short of playing games on floppy disks quite a few games since the late 1990s have gotten patches to fix certain things. It's certainly not a new phenomenon. I think the perception that recent games have been released in beta comes from the companies trying to accomodate an ever increasing plentitude of hardware.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 04:09:14 pm by Flare »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »

I think the real surprise for me is that id is considered an innovator and this game brings nothing new and in many ways takes a step back. For example, there is no cover mechanic or destructable terrain of any type. While it would be great to have both, one would think a highly promoted AAA title with so much dev time would sport at least one. Another annoying glitch I am having is that there is an input delay when shooting which makes it hard to hit even the early enemies. I know it is a delay just affecting this as I have no problem with any other reactions, running jumping crouching are all instant.

I should mention two positives.

1) The game runs surprisingly well on my dated laptop (Core2Duo 2.53, 4GB ram, and Radeon HD 3870x2). My card is unusual in that it is effectively a crossfire in one card and tests out comparable to the 5870 on most games, so that may account for some of my positive performance.

2) The game is still fun enough for me to keep playing through all of these issues. I am looking forward to at least a fix in the input lag/audio as the texture problems are annoying but not gamebreaking.

3) HAVE to mention the awesome performance of John Goodman's VO work. Reminds me of the VO from Bastion.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:31:18 pm »

Another annoying glitch I am having is that there is an input delay when shooting which makes it hard to hit even the early enemies.

That sounds incredibly annoying.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »

The game looks pretty good on consoles from what I've seen though I don't have the game myself.
Is my avatar sexy?

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »

3) HAVE to mention the awesome performance of John Goodman's VO work. Reminds me of the VO from Bastion.

Have to agree with that. I don't have the game and only watched the beginning of a let's play on youtube to see if it was worth buying(from what I seen, not before there is a sale) and one thing really stood out of the game, the music!

echonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 06:02:40 pm »

I was actually surprised at how WELL it ran for me considering how amazing it looks on top of it. I'm on PC, of course.

My system is decent, but not at all awesome. 3gz core 2 duo and an nvidia 465

Sure I notice the texture pop-in, but it's WAY better when you enable GPU Transcode

If your card supports that just turn it on, should improve things a lot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4