Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Allegiance: Needs so much more love.  (Read 771 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Allegiance: Needs so much more love.
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:12:41 am »

Yes, there's already a topic, but it's over a year old and has only one page, so I'm making a new one.

http://www.freeallegiance.org/

Allegiance is, in essence, an RTS, with one major difference: most of the units are players. As a commander, you play the RTS role, which has very intuitive graphics.

As a pilot, however, it's a whole different story. Allegiance is an RTS as the commander, but there is only one commander per team--to put this into perspective, the max player count is usually 100. The other 98 are filled by players, who can be commanded as units through a simple and very well-done command system. Here's a good tutorial:

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.php/Quick_Crash_Course

Other info can be found on the wiki, much like Dwarf Fortress.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Allegiance: Needs so much more love.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:35 am »

I once tried this game out, found that the community ended up making me feel unwelcome as a newcomer. Sure, the training servers are friendly enough, but getting into an actual games makes the steep learning curve very apparant.

Didn't help both commanders were locked in a weird death struggle with no apparant reasonable plan since everyone was swarming around in interceptors in a single system, which reduced the gameplay to 'go out, shoot at things, get blown up, repeat.' Nothing was getting done.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Allegiance: Needs so much more love.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:35:54 am »

My only game so far was pretty enjoyable. The vets were only mildly hostile (they made a joke or two--"Maybe we should make the newbie commander"), and things got done.