Advanced search  

Author Topic: Orbiter  (Read 630 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Orbiter
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:13 pm »

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/index.html
An ultra realistic space sim. with fairly good graphics.
This is a shot of simplest ship in the game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

One of the more complicated ships (space shuttle Atlantis)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I spent most of the day doing a single mission (not 24 hours straight but on and off) until i mastered it. I kept missing the exact time i needed to end the thrust on my engines to fix my orbit or smack into the earth.
I got to the second mission that was going to have me orbit the moon in small craft. I had to take off from a lunar base. I set up my nav computer to local transponders. Slowly took off. I felt great so I said fuck it and decided to go joyriding. I didn't realize it, but I had broken orbit with the moon. Alot easier to do than on earth due to the low gravity. So I turn around to head back to base. I then opened my mouth in horror. The moon was moving faster than the max speed of my engines....
If this were real life I'd either have to wait until the moon orbited back around again or try and shoot for earth.

I suggest downloading the graphics packs and sounds add on. Other wise the graphics are meh and there is no sound.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:40:13 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:51:43 pm »

An ultra realistic space sim. with fairly good graphics.
We don't need to include relative levels of "realism" when talking about Orbiter. Seriously, the next thing to the most realistic space flight simulation is stored on a computer in Nasa's Jet Propulsion labs.

Also there's already a thread... If you were interested.

Yeah, I play this quite a bit. My latest mission was to run an XR2 to the moon and back on realistic fuel cells with all damage sim on. Touchdown was with just 3KG of fuel, and I'm yet to make the return journey. Re-entry should be fun.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:11:59 am »

Oh I didn't realize there was a thread already. I'll lock this.
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.