Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fortress Scorecard  (Read 1957 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Fortress Scorecard
« on: October 03, 2011, 09:53:00 pm »

In the interest of fairness and community brotherhood, I'd like to say that no one will judge your gameplay and look down upon you for it.  However, in the pursuit of honesty I have to say that we will ridicule you and snicker behind your back.  But what're you gonna do, right?  Dwarves...

So, the idea is fairly straightforward.  It's a sort of test or questionnaire, and each question adds or subtracts from a certain score, which can be translated into your Dwarvenly Factor.  For instance, +2 points for every dead elven trader, -5 points for every civilian lost to ambush, +1 point for every civilian killed during a cave-in during megaproject construction.  Math it all together, and get a number, which we will (as stated above) laugh at you for.

But what should the scoring card be?  Certain things may seem obvious, but aren't.  For instance, you might say +1 point for every steel bar produced.  But then what?  You've got an army clad in steel who can calmly destroy any invasion, and divert any Fun.  Therefore I'd have to say -1 point for every piece of steel armor your soldiers are wearing, and +5 points for every leather armor being worn.  This promotes a more brutal military and encourages Fun.

Which I suppose is the ultimate goal, not to measure the Dwarvenly Factor or the Win Power, but rather the Fun Coefficient.  How prone is your fortress to Fun, and how unstable is it?

So some thoughts: Farm tiles are negative, active ghosts are positive, waterfalls are positive, killing invaders is positive, killing merchants is double positive, losing civilians is negative, losing military is either neutral or positive, room value of particular rooms are positive, number of missing limbs from living civilians is positive, number of cave crocs that swam up your sewers and into your dining hall is positive, number of captured cave crocs used to kill nobles is positive, number of tantrum spirals caused by cave croc noble killings is positive...

What should add, subtract, or otherwise perform math upon the scoring system?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Scorecard
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »

Definitely things which are real dwarfy but do damage your fort if you lose... prevents dorfscore grinding.

Losing high-skilled workers in megaproject construction is - 2 dorfscore.
Losing peasants in megaproject construction is + 2 dorfscore.
Elves slaughtered by militia + 1.
Elves slaughtered by traps + 2.
Elves slaughtered by drowning-chamber + 3.
Elves slaughtered by insane automated mechanical devices (at least 20 mechanisms used in construction) + 4.
Elves slaughtered by <Necro! Need some help here!> + 5.

For starters...
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »

Number of depots that were flooded, sealed, and never used again: +10

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, a relatively small, secure fort where everyone's happy and safe will have a DorfScore like -100, while a periodically flooded with magma, ghost-filled, megaproject-laden nightmare will have a DorfScore closer to 1000?
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:19 pm »

+1 for each Z level of pump stack pumping water
+5 each z level of pump stack pumping magma
+1 for each 100 power generated in excess of what you actually use
+20 for each clown killed by means other than Cave-in and Obsidian
+5 (which is far less than Z) for each clown killed by Cave-ins and Obsidian
+10 for each Important Figure (Masters, War-leaders, law-givers, princesses, drunks...) Caged and/or Killed
-1 for each Cage Trap used in defense (Cage traps deep in your fort used for neferious purposes like transferring prisoners to ☼Platinum Cages☼ so they increase the value of a noble's room before being released on said noble don't count)
-3 for each enemy killed by Atomsmashing
-5 for each dwarf deliberately killed by Atomsmashing (accidental atomsmashings are just funny.)
+1 for each 10 tiles of Construction in completed megaprojects
+1 for each 20 non-constructed tiles bounded by completed megaprojects
-1 for each soldier trained via Danger Room

I could go on
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:15:27 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, a relatively small, secure fort where everyone's happy and safe will have a DorfScore like -100,

Well, as l see it, if your small, safe, secure fort is building a huge megaproject or dedicated to slaughtering elves in the most dwarfish ways, then it's a good dorfscore.

But if your small, secure, safe for is just for sitting there, then yes I agree with you.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:18:47 pm »

So, if I understand this correctly, a relatively small, secure fort where everyone's happy and safe will have a DorfScore like -100, while a periodically flooded with magma, ghost-filled, megaproject-laden nightmare will have a DorfScore closer to 1000?
That's the idea, yep!

+50 for every artifact platinum warhammer.
+1 for every kill counted on an artifact gold short sword.
+5 for every statue of your noble surrounded by things they hate, placed in that noble's room.
+1 for every 5 levels of drop used in an execution tower.
+1 for every tile of 7/7 magma loaded into your trap cistern.
+20 for every burning plump helmet man loitering in your dining hall.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:14 pm »

+5 for each siege defeated through military strength
+10 for each siege defeated by judicious application of magma
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:23:02 pm »

There should be a modifier for magma use based on volcano and world depth.  If you've got a volcano, magma is easy.  If you're pumping through 100 lays of cavern, caves, and solid rock, then that magma moat is far more impressive.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31:33 pm »

Hence why I went with zlevels of magma pump

+2 for every ‼Dwarf‼
+5 for every Fireproof Dwarf
+2 for every Berserk Dwarf killed by Your Dwarves (military or civillian)
+1 for every Berserk Dwarf killed by war animals
-3 for every Berserk Dwarf killed by starving/dehydration
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:39 pm »

+5 for every enemy or non-dwarf trader killed by a berzerk dwarf (ie, you weaponized insanity).

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 11:17:22 pm »

Pff, I never lose dwarves to wall/floor creating mishaps with construction.

Bragging about it; -5.

+3 for every enemy slain from ballista
+5 for every enemy slain from catapault
+10 if you mod corpses to be thrown from catapault, per enemy slain from corpse-apault
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:18:57 pm by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 01:01:00 am »

+1 for every artifact weapon of an appropriate material (steel axe, candy sword, etc)
+10 for every artifact weapon of a weak material (candy hammer, lead axe)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:36 am »

+100 for a dwarf dying of old age, because let's be honest about life expectancy...

Oh, and of course those playing with invaders off get a massive penalty, some sort of 1/2 or 1/4 score amount.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 03:12:55 am »

+5 each z level of pump stack pumping magma
I'm liking this idea. Already got 1880 points for one fort because of this alone. That's if I measure per pump as I've got four 94z-level tall pump stacks.

There should be a modifier for magma use based on volcano and world depth.  If you've got a volcano, magma is easy.  If you're pumping through 100 lays of cavern, caves, and solid rock, then that magma moat is far more impressive.
Unless this disqualifies me.

I can't think of the numbers but aquifers should add to a score. Walling off the edge with raised bridges should give a negative.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2