Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The 100+ year fortress.  (Read 5904 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
The 100+ year fortress.
« on: October 03, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »

BoredomTedium the eternal Fortress: We Have Socks. 
A 100+ year fortress. I know its probably been done. I'm just wondering what its like and what effect such a fortress would have on the legends and the local landscape. I mean there's a finite amount of metals and stone at every site.  How many goblin sieges can your fortress eat before you run out of goblins? Is it possible to kill the world from your fortress? 

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 100+ year fortress.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »

BoredomTedium the eternal Fortress: We Have Socks. 
A 100+ year fortress. I know its probably been done. I'm just wondering what its like and what effect such a fortress would have on the legends and the local landscape. I mean there's a finite amount of metals and stone at every site.  How many goblin sieges can your fortress eat before you run out of goblins? Is it possible to kill the world from your fortress?
Its possible you could kill the entire Megabeast Population and Titans. I think the humans other than law-givers are spawned on arrival during sieges

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 09:19:58 pm »

I did something like this.  I didn't reach the full 100 years though as my fort died from something rather unexpected - the dwarf race died out.  All that was left was the dwarves i had in my fort.  About 70-ish.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

The dwarven race won't die out during fortress play, mainly because the world doesn't do anything while you're running a fort.  More likely, you ran out of wealth.  Mining tiles generates moods more frequently, and moods generate valuable artifacts, with value causing migrants and goblins.  Generating wealth can directly influence your population.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »

Since goblinite is available in decent abundance, unless you start with NOTHING, then you can usually get a decent metal industry going. I've run a few forts that I measured in decades, but rarely is there enough to keep me entertained past 10-20 years. My longest ran 80, and I believe I ran out of goblins to kill. It's possible to run any civ dry of pop, as they stop reproducing at the end of world gen. I kept the fort running just to run it, but I lost the fort somewhere around the most recent patch. I think it was a .18 fort. I've got another that's 40 or so in, but the fort will die in about 2 years as I ran my major food source out, fish.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »

The dwarven race won't die out during fortress play, mainly because the world doesn't do anything while you're running a fort.  More likely, you ran out of wealth.  Mining tiles generates moods more frequently, and moods generate valuable artifacts, with value causing migrants and goblins.  Generating wealth can directly influence your population.

I actually had it confirmed in Legends afterwards - the Dwarven Civ died out.  My fort was the last dwarf mountainhome.  I'll send the world save post-fortress death if you want to see it for yourself.  My fort had PLENTY of wealth too.  Lots of cotton candy weapons and armor.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:24 pm »

What, really?  An after-worldgen civ death?  Do share!

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:40 pm »

I actually had it confirmed in Legends afterwards - the Dwarven Civ died out.  My fort was the last dwarf mountainhome.  I'll send the world save post-fortress death if you want to see it for yourself.  My fort had PLENTY of wealth too.  Lots of cotton candy weapons and armor.

So most likely the dwarven pop was somewhere around 80 or so. You had all of them migrate to you. You could continue the fort growth if you let your haulers make children. I've run a fort like that before.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »

This is the world save from after my fort, Knifemurders, fell

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4961

And the fortress lasted a good 50-odd years.  The migrants only stopped coming in the last decade or so.  Also, the average fort pop was generally around 200 with a LOT of regular massacres from various instances of !!Fun!! (I've shared this fort before with various projects, so some of you have seen the mass graveyards in it).

Oh, and I'm fairly certain there were other forts as the liason started pestering me to make my fort a barony.  I turned him down every time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:16:41 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:41:12 pm »

The Dwarven civilization sure isn't dying out in my current fortress, I have the population cap at 100 and have 144 dwarves...145. 40 children, my manager and my baroness are churning them out like its going out of style. They are all going into the army if they live to adulthood. My game has paused so often for births its hilarious.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:00 pm »

You can disable that in DF\data\init\announcements

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 10:50:28 pm »

Nah its kinda convenient, that way I can leave it running and read some stuff and come back to the game without having it get too far into being wiped out by the FB that will eventually crawl up my well. I have more beardlings running around than I have cats and kittens (emergency meat/hides) in the cage by the butcher shop.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

Stone is *not* finite: you can always cast more obsidian and mine it out, as long as you have sourced water on your map at all.  non-obsidian stone, importantly including Flux, IS finite on-map but might be traded for with the dwarves (request is your friend).  Gems are Finite, but you can trade for more with both dwarves and humans.

Metal that can be made into crossbow bolts can be made infinite, but otherwise metal is finite (though infinitely recyclable if made into large furniture only).  Metal can also be perpetually obtained via trading for metal objects and melting, which since this will usually include iron and can probably include steel from the dwarven caravan, especially if you are never made the mountainhome, means that the crossbow exploit is only really useful/necessary if you have a noble with a taste for candy that you want to keep alive, happy, and not sentencing your smiths.

The biggest dangers to a carefully arranged long-game fort are Glitches (Like Weatherwises) and FPS-death.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:07:06 pm »

The idea of a 100+ fort strikes me as interesting because if the fortress keeps growing (or if the century is interesting enough) you'll get these huge warrens of abandoned areas due to FB/Demon plague forced relocation, flooding, fire, tantrum/loyalty cascades, or whimsy.  Essentially you'll get something like Ravenholm from HL2 essentially vast "we don't go there anymore" areas.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:16 pm »

I think if curses allow it... headcrab mod in next version.
Pages: [1] 2