Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turned weather off but it's still raining  (Read 1270 times)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
Turned weather off but it's still raining
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:56:49 pm »

Not that it started after I turned it off, the rain was pouring before I changed the init. Does it stop normally and then never startup again? It hasn't been raining that long, but what if it doesn't stop?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:58:37 pm by Agorp Stronden »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turned weather off but it's still raining
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »

I haven't played with that setting, but it sounds like it might turn off changes in the weather. So if it's raining when you turn it off, it stays raining forever. But if you turn it back on and wait for it to stop raining, then turn it off, it might stay dry forever.

Or maybe not. Like I said, I haven't played with it.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:03:17 pm »

Eh, it just stopped. I assume it won't come back.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:19:02 pm »

I've never had weather actually turn rain off in my forts. I don't know what the setting really does.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

nttea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 05:32:54 am »

I think it prevents murky pools from being refilled for one thing :) other than that i don't know!

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:48:40 am »

I've never had weather actually turn rain off in my forts. I don't know what the setting really does.

In my experience, it will halt the weather in whatever state it happens to be in at the time; if you turn off the weather while it's not raining, you won't get any more rain.  If I recall correctly, I tried to get permarain once by turning it off during rain, but the shower ended and then no more rain came.

I turned weather off for FPS reasons for years.  Then I downloaded a new version and got a message about a snowstorm and felt like a little kid seeing the first snow of the year.  Weather can be kind of fun.  Kind of annoying, too, come to that.
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"