Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sharp Blades Tag?  (Read 1237 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Sharp Blades Tag?
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:13:38 pm »

On the stones screen (z --> stone), why do nickel, zinc, pig iron, lead, and bismuth have the sharp blades tag?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Sharp Blades Tag?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:27:24 pm »

Better chance of lopping off limbs and/or more effective vs unarmored creatures I think.

They share the tag with obsidian but the making swords from stones process only takes obsidian.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:36:30 pm »

Oh, so it means that if it was made into a weapon, it will be strong against unarmored creatures?

I figured that only obsidian could be made into blades. I knew that one already.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 06:37:19 pm »

Better chance of lopping off limbs and/or more effective vs unarmored creatures I think.
NO IT DOES NOT. It only has that because it has the [MAX_EDGE:10000] tag in the RAW files. It says that these metals can have a sharp edge, but they can't really be made into weapons/ammo.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:29:42 pm »

NO IT DOES NOT. It only has that because it has the [MAX_EDGE:10000] tag in the RAW files. It says that these metals can have a sharp edge, but they can't really be made into weapons/ammo.
Explain?

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:49:53 pm »

Explain?

These are all weapons that can obtain a pointy edge, if filed into one, but are not of sufficient durability to be forged into a blade. Think stone weaponry and the like. You can have a sharp flint rock but you can't have a longsword forged from flint.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:04:18 pm »

Probably is used by artifact weapons that don't have weapon structural info.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:09:41 am »

So basically means that it can be made into a weapon by moods, buuuuut is not effective as a forged blade.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:14:21 am »

That's pretty much it.  It prevents mooded weapons from being terribly bad, and instead makes them mostly bad.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 10:41:17 am »

That's pretty much it.  It prevents mooded weapons from being terribly bad, and instead makes them mostly bad.

Ya. Artifact weapons are incredibly accurate, but are still only as effective at dealing damage as their main element is.

So a Pig Iron sword would still by abysmal. Although a Pig Iron hammer might not be awful...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:50:21 pm »

Awesome, thank you for the help.