Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Little Creations thread.  (Read 5996 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Create!Right now:post your own!
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:13 pm »

It's a bit dangly because I overestimated the width of my wrist and underestimated the length of the clasp, but still, got dat steel bracelet swag. I might order some silver/brass rings and do a bracelet of greater value and ring quality.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »

One good thing about cool projects. . . .you can sell them to people who have no idea how cheap it can be to make stuff!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2011, 07:13:59 pm »

I'm not really good at creating anything except art and combinations of words. But today one of my friends asked me to draw them with NO REFERENCES AT ALL and so I did.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not very good at art, either.

And yes, that is Pinkie Pie, Loface and an obscure comic reference in the corners.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2011, 11:32:57 pm »

Eh, screw it. This is officially the thread for miscellaneous creative projects that aren't exactly epic enough to get their own thread. And it's for everybody! So come here, and post your creations that you don't think need their own thread but would be nice to share! For me, mead! And possibly a short story. And a paintball gun using pvc piping. CREATE! Also, pictures of the projects are appreciated!
You asked for it :P

I've got a development-thing in my head of a universe where everyone gets their brain downloaded to a personal computer when they're born, then gets their neck completely removed because it's a huge damn liability. Then their brain and head run off of battery power and use a levitate to have it 'float' above the torso so that everyone doesn't descend perpetually into the Uncanny Valley.

It's unfolding to be quite interesting, and I've drawn designs of multiple characters, including one guy whose computer basically breaks and he goes on a killing spree. I would post said designs, but there are quite a few of them, they're somewhat large, and I don't want to lag the thread.

So, instead, have a Snow Tetris thing I did yesterday out of boredom.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:40:11 pm by TherosPherae »
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 03:39:53 pm »

Pretty cool thread. I'm looking for some stuff to do to broaden my bragging rights horizons. Only problem, like most other people these days is a lack of a decent budget to do so.

Something I tend to do once in awhile. If you have any old artwork, try to re-render them as pixel art or 3D models (through Blender or something). Which reminds me, I still have an airship to remodel in 3D, and a few weapons I ought to make/animate in Flash or make 3D models as well (more for art. I am lacking in the ability to add them to games and to make complex animations/texturing).

Spoiler: Some of my works (click to show/hide)

I have many more interesting things to make/include as well, like the bladeship armadas, our fellow Ancient Aliens' crafts, a shielded frigate I nicknamed a "Death Mask" (It's a cannon frigate with a big shield that covers the hull, except for the cannon portals, held up by a few vertical engines, and looks intimidating as hell. Good ambush vehicles/gunships in canyons and such, wherever they can hide; or to surround a captured town to prevent anyone from entering or escaping.), a floating island community about the size of a Hawaiian island with other floating islands orbiting it, and cities built underneath the island as well; I retconned it as an ancient battlestation that grew terrain all over it and became an ancient floating island community with infrastructire already embedded into it (kudos to having been a battlestation in the first place with railway systems and etc. built-in. I made a few actually pretty cool things, but I've stopped making artwork for a few years already. Let's just say, I don't take to critics to well; especially if word spreads like a virus across the internet (being a graphic designer, I have a reputation I need to uphold).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 04:16:08 pm by Itnetlolor »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 04:19:40 pm »

Not really much of a big deal, but. . . .

I've started writing articles to sell on either AricleSale.com or Constant-Content.com, for small sums of money.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 06:07:24 pm »

Not really much of a big deal, but. . . .

I've started writing articles to sell on either AricleSale.com or Constant-Content.com, for small sums of money.
That's cool. I've not heard of those before; but if you can get paid for articles, you must be decent at it. You're... creating money for yourself?

I have succeeded with chainmail; first "project" completed. I'm no good at all, but that should change with time.
I made something... decorative? It really has no purpose. It's a type of "weave" used for earrings and the like, but this is far too large for that purpose. It's shiny, at least.
Posting links, because the pictures are big.
http://img.ie/b3611.jpg (warning: really big: 3648x2736)
http://img.ie/98203.jpg
http://img.ie/ca06c.jpg

I'm also somewhere around a novice photographer. I don't take pictures of anything interesting, though.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2011, 06:29:20 pm »

I've always seen photography as making art where there is seemingly none, making it a truly great thing to get into. I, too, enjoy photography, but lack a camera at the moment. And as for the articles, you write them, people search for things, your article comes up, they buy the rights to it. Articles range from 3 to 100 dollars a piece. I'm still getting a PayPal account set up right now, though, so no published articles yet.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »

i'm a good draughtsman, a decent flintknapper and a dabling bowmaker, and i brew cheap mead regularly, which i proceed to still and spice into delicious liqueurs. i'm also a pretty decent cook, with a few original recipes everybody seems to love, among the latest are the chestnutapplecinnamon cupcakes... but the one creation i'm most proud of is a chopstick crossbow i once built at a chinese restaurant, using my own shoelaces and the chopsticks used by my entire retinue of companions, complete with a pistol-like trigger... unfortunatelly i misplaced this little artifact, and it was a possession mood, i doubt i could replicate such masterpiece

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Little Creations thread.
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »

I've recently learned what is and how to make pixel art. I have a feeling that I've finally found the art form that suits me :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 06:23:04 pm »

Got in touch with some more 3D artistry in Blender. Of course, learning it the hard way, again.

Here's something more recent I came up with which is a blockade runner-type frigate which can also be nicknamed "That Gatling Cannon with a Scary Face". Think of, if you will, an airship that wears a giant shield covering the structural supports and shock absorbers of it's front-mounted cannons, and a shield that is decorated in a way that is to scare or intimidate earthbound people (be they military or civilian, especially civilian).

This thing also supports a series of vertical thrusters (not shown yet) to keep it in the air. It's not the fastest unit, but it does a fairly decent job in holding ground (especially due to a high maneuverability to keep itself facing it's attacker or target), and being utilized for organized ambushes, as well as distant ballistic strikes (like a floating howitzer with a thick shield that can withstand medium-weapons fire for a good amount of time).

I actually modeled how it would work, and sorta look furthermore from a past sketch by making it in Battleships Forever first. It is surprisingly practical, despite it's appearance so far.

EDIT:
Any ideas how I can save an image with a transparent BG post-render in Blender? Because I hate manually doing so in Photoshop.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:59:18 pm by Itnetlolor »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »

>image<

Pretty sweet. I notice, though, that you seem to've done the same thing that I always did: crazy amounts of detail in one area, much less elsewhere.

EDIT:
Any ideas how I can save an image with a transparent BG post-render in Blender? Because I hate manually doing so in Photoshop.

I'm pretty sure in 2.49 there was an option between (iirc) BW/RGB/RGBA. I've yet to learn 2.5, haven't messed with Blender for months now...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 09:19:49 pm »

>image<
Pretty sweet. I notice, though, that you seem to've done the same thing that I always did: crazy amounts of detail in one area, much less elsewhere.
Well, I only really got the frontside done. I still have to detail the body (add windows, combat augments, and such), add engines, and a few more defensive batteries around it. I was trying to get the 'face' to look right, as well as the support struts that hold the panels on.

The mask was a challenge to get it to look right (looking like a demonic tribal mask of sorts). Those are supposed to look as complex and scary, while being somewhat practical as armor plating, as possible.

The next challenge after making this is texturing. That's going to be fun. I hope I can paint on it, and then work on the map later, or be able to place textures on separate faces, instead of the entire model at once. At least I tried to keep other parts as simple as I could (including mirroring) to make the task a little easier.

These things are dangerous. Especially if you're facing a duo or trio of them at all angles. Nothing but cannon fire (or in the game, dumb-fired torpedos), and trying to get around them, or behind those dense shields to take them down (weak point being the hinges) will only get you perforated by the machine guns; and trying to get behind it will only welcome you to a reasonable hailstorm of auto-cannon fire.

I setup a 4-on-4 battle, and they were vicious, and with good co-operation, they remain rather well intact, with a few on them only leaving without their frontside shields. Even swarmbots had a hard time with these.

EDIT:
Wow. These things don't mess around. Provided they still are fighting head-on (primary combat orientation), they're still rather combat-effective when the shields come off. Did another 5v5, and 1 side came out with 4 still intact. 3 of them (if atmo) were in bad condition; 1 was still in flyable condition, and had all it's weapons still intact. A cheap shield replacement was all that was needed for the remaining true survivor.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:27:44 pm by Itnetlolor »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 02:29:26 pm »

Good luck with blender! I was never really good with it. Oh, and my pixel sky scraper is coming along nicely, and is nearly a week in the making.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2011, 02:41:27 am »

To bring this thread back to life: I just finished up this poster for my sister's birthday.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shitty camera is shitty, but the text reads "Dear Diary, today I was pompous and my sister was crazy!"

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently imgur really likes the 1700x1200 sideways version.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:45:11 am by Biag »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4